Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American's living above their means?
Yes, well above. 55 67.90%
Yes, slightly above. 17 20.99%
No, right on budget. 6 7.41%
No, slightly below. 2 2.47%
No, well below. 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:32 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Her friends all had Porsches....
She must have been trying to make amends...haha

Oh, Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The truth is that Americans got use to a home being the best financial investment they could make. They thought the worse that could happen is they sold at great profit. Then the bubble burst. Recession tend to do that to many investments really. Never take too much risk is the key for average person..
Over the past twenty-seven years, I have never lost money on a house. Ever. I'm well diversified, but real estate certainly hasn't hurt my bottom line.

Last edited by randomparent; 01-29-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-29-2015, 06:50 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
My house is just under 2000 sq ft. A guy who recently did some work on our house described it as a "small" house. We paid the top range of what we could afford based on our calculations and a 20 percent down payment. The bank said we could afford a house more than 2 times what we knew we could afford. I think the bank tells people they are approved for "x" amount and then they think that's their target price.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I am in the process of a mgt- really ? I have dug up more dead bones for the underwriter to inspect than the Bone Dr-- its not that easy to get a loan- at all

Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I am in the process of a mgt- really ? I have dug up more dead bones for the underwriter to inspect than the Bone Dr-- its not that easy to get a loan- at all
You should apply for the NINJA loan.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
Back in the last big housing run up, the ex thought we needed a bigger, nicer house, despite being on the verge of empty nesting. We were qualified by the local mortgage company for a cool quarter million, an amount that I thought was completely absurd and excessive, and that the ex wanted to go right up to. Eventually, I got tired of looking at houses in excess of what 2 adults and 1 teen needed and tuned the whole process out. I have a feeling that this was one of the reasons she "ex'd" me.

We had raised 3 kids in under 1000 sq/ft. Dunno why she thought we needed to upgrade but I think she had the keeping up with the Jonses thing going on and I just don't give a hoopla about that. Her friends all had Porsches....
I know SEVERAL people who, once empty nested or even retired, traded up or added on. There were reasons I'm sure, some had just HATED something specific and finally had the $ to address it, some had visions of multi generations gathering under their roof for Christmas or whatever.

I'd like to downsize (my kids can stay at a motel for the holidays! LOL!) but probably won't be able to so I'll upgrade my space, it needs it from time to time anyway.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:36 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
I have been told from men who work on job sites building mc mansions that many are built in a few days, short cuts, shoddy work, cheap fiberboard instead of good plywood. I also see the tyvek they use today is a thin piece of plastic instead of the thicker insulated tyvek they used some years ago used under the vinyl siding.

And the cost of these homes went overboard .. why? Every time the interest rate would go down a half point, the builder would jack up the price for the same house by 50k..

Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Are American's brainwashed into buying homes they don't need?
No.

Do a lot of Americans buy homes they do not need (including myself)? Yes but how do you quantify need.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:33 PM

121 posts, read 119,948 times
Default Well above

I think one of the main reasons for that is we have a society that values material wealth; how much junk one can accumulate rather than who a person actually is - what they believe or have accomplished.

As far as Americans being brainwashed into buying homes they don't need, I'd say yes. Propaganda and brainwashing starts early on. Mass-marketing creates a sense of need where one previously didn't exist. And, they're very effective at it, as the personal debt loads demonstrate. The road to bankruptcy is paved with all kinds of good deals.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:59 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I know SEVERAL people who, once empty nested or even retired, traded up or added on. There were reasons I'm sure, some had just HATED something specific and finally had the $ to address it, some had visions of multi generations gathering under their roof for Christmas or whatever.

I'd like to downsize (my kids can stay at a motel for the holidays! LOL!) but probably won't be able to so I'll upgrade my space, it needs it from time to time anyway.
Wife and I ran into a couple yesterday that recently bought a 4200 sf house on 2 acre lot outside of town in the $750K range and they had to qualify for a mortgage to buy it. Of course my wife loved the neighborhood and wants a house there where prices start over $600K and we recently retired and kids are out of the house. I want to downsize, not upsize when we don't need it except if we have a lot of company in for a visit. We could afford it financially but that's way too much to keep up with. Take away...women are crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies