Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are American's living above their means?
Yes, well above. 55 67.90%
Yes, slightly above. 17 20.99%
No, right on budget. 6 7.41%
No, slightly below. 2 2.47%
No, well below. 1 1.23%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingforarip View Post
If I didn't have enough money to have a full-time cleaning lady, I would own a 5-600 square foot apartment.

I don't know how or why middle class people live in 3K+ square foot homes. Either you spend an utterly ridiculous percentage of your life cleaning, or your house is filthy. No alternative.
False

How? - They don't go around throwing garbage on the floor
Why? - Because that is what THEY prefer, they like big homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:45 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I wish there were more variety in the small homes where I live. When they build new stuff around it's either a monster house, those 3/4 level in-fill houses or high density/shared wall stuff. There are very few 2/2 detached homes here, which I would love. I've seen a few patio homes but that's about it. Even the small older houses seem to have crammed 3-4 bedrooms in which ruins the whole thing because the space isn't used right for my taste. Oh well.. I'll just stay in my house because at 1530 sq ft it's about as small as I can get and still have a bit of yard.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:52 PM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Watching Hgtv and seeing all the huge houses that these families buy or want for multiple hundreds of thousands had me thinking, do we require too much for the American dream?

I recall my grandparent's house on my mother's side having a roughly 2000 sq ft house, 3/2, for 2 adults and 5 kids. Yeah it looked like it was probably cramped, but if it's what you can afford what's wrong with that? Now I think my generation and older (since the 20 something's are having trouble affording houses) want a minimum of 3000 sq ft for that same size family. Right now, me living in a 2200 sq ft home with 2 others, I actually feel like we could be downsizing and just woNader am I in the minority for feeling this way?
We downsized when the kids left. I'll sit pat in my 1.400 square feet with no mortgage and money in the bank, thanks.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:54 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Watching Hgtv and seeing all the huge houses that these families buy or want for multiple hundreds of thousands had me thinking, do we require too much for the American dream?

I recall my grandparent's house on my mother's side having a roughly 2000 sq ft house, 3/2, for 2 adults and 5 kids. Yeah it looked like it was probably cramped, but if it's what you can afford what's wrong with that? Now I think my generation and older (since the 20 something's are having trouble affording houses) want a minimum of 3000 sq ft for that same size family. Right now, me living in a 2200 sq ft home with 2 others, I actually feel like we could be downsizing and just woNader am I in the minority for feeling this way?
My wife's house in Britain has 6 people living in it, and it's 800 square feet. Everyone manages just fine, it's only Americans outside of New York City that feel 2000 square feet for 2 people is "cramped". Ironically, most of the pre-1970 houses in my state are smaller than 1500 square feet. In my neighborhood, many of the houses were built in the late 40s, early 50s, and I would venture that the average size of those houses are 1000 sq. ft. Another thing too, up here in the Northeast, almost all the houses in the 20,000+ population cities are all townhouses or row houses or whatever they're called.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:

"What's wrong with that?"

Please do tell, who are these people who are saying people who live in 2000 sq ft houses with 7 people are in the wrong?

Old 01-28-2015, 09:07 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I wish there were more variety in the small homes where I live. When they build new stuff around it's either a monster house, those 3/4 level in-fill houses or high density/shared wall stuff. There are very few 2/2 detached homes here, which I would love. I've seen a few patio homes but that's about it. Even the small older houses seem to have crammed 3-4 bedrooms in which ruins the whole thing because the space isn't used right for my taste. Oh well.. I'll just stay in my house because at 1530 sq ft it's about as small as I can get and still have a bit of yard.
I have a 50's and agree with you. If each bedroom was 50-70 sq feet bigger it would make a huge difference.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,077 times
You guys get offended by the smallest stuff way too easily. I'm just rolling over here.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The only con involved in people who over buy is them conning themselves. Everyone wants to be a victim if they screw up now days. Don't buy it.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:51 PM

495 posts, read 684,515 times
I would say yes we are buying homes we don't need and it is making us debt slaves. Frankly I don't get how some people afford their homes. Housing is always your biggest expense so why go overboard. Why don't people buy a smaller home and try and pay it off right away? A paid off home gives you so much more freedom. You know who wants you to buy too much house, employers do. If we weren't such debt slaves in this country we could demand better working pay and perks.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
If my brain's been washed, why are my thoughts still dirty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies