Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 12:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
So you admit that allowing everyone to concealed-carry will not make us all safe.

You didn't get it. Shear strength would be your friend in that situation to over power your aggressor.
Mono e mono.

If you are popping caps at me, I would like to have my own, to pop caps back at you.
A gun, makes a woman have the strength of a man.
Predator v. Prey... Who do you wish to be.
Even a surprise attack can go wrong.
My odds of surviving are better, if I have the same, or better weapons than you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
versus what the NRA has dictated here? you know, through buying off our congress and judicial systems
NRA wasn't around with the founding fathers gave us the Second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
It was an accident. In a nation full of guns, there are bound to be firearm accidents and misuse.
So, you believe gun laws will prevent criminals who want to use guns from getting them? Funny, it hasn't worked for heroine, meth or cocaine yet.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Most citizens now arming themselves is a sign of their seeing government has failing to protect them. Most have no interest in firearms otherwise; like the past.Women especially.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
So, here's yet another incident of armed people shooting at one another and a stray bullet kills a mother of three

Bayview mom killed by stray bullet in front of her 3 children - SFGate

Now, since the shooting parties obviously knew how to handle guns, and all that's missing so far is the CCW permits, how is it that people obviously defending themselves with guns makes our streets safer?

I don't know of any theater of war, where there were not civilian casualties.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:37 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
So, here's yet another incident of armed people shooting at one another and a stray bullet kills a mother of three

Bayview mom killed by stray bullet in front of her 3 children - SFGate

Now, since the shooting parties obviously knew how to handle guns, and all that's missing so far is the CCW permits, how is it that people obviously defending themselves with guns makes our streets safer?
It's more of an example of gun laws not working that it is of your point.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:39 PM

39,855 posts, read 26,477,889 times
Lets see if we can follow the OPs reasoning here shall we?

San Francisco has a very restrictive policy on legal concealed carry-for all practical purposes it is not legal for private citizens.

Both the city and the state have very restrictive laws on the purchase of handguns.

The state demands "safety tests" for handguns, far beyond federal requirements.

And San Francisco has drive-by shootings.

So, in comparison, my city:

Supports legal concealed carry, and makes attaining a CCW permit quite easy.

Has about 15% of the population that has concealed carry permits

Is in a state with some of the nation's least restrictive gun laws.

Has a state preemption policy, that prohibits localities from passing gun laws more restrictive than what the state has.

And has no drive-by shootings.

Thank you OP, you've proven the point that pro-gun people make-couldn't agree more. Legal citizen concealed carry makes you safer and deters criminals.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:42 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It's more of an example of gun laws not working that it is of your point.
I don't think it is a gun law thing , it's more like a criminal thing. Eliminate all the firearms casualties done by thugs, or thugs getting shot by police and people would be surprised what the real crime statistics are in this country. Subtract the suicides and we are on par with many other non firearms legal countries. I'm not going to post any stats since the anti's will just de bunk them anyways.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:46 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I don't think it is a gun law thing , it's more like a criminal thing. Eliminate all the firearms casualties done by thugs, or thugs getting shot by police and people would be surprised what the real crime statistics are in this country. Subtract the suicides and we are on par with many other non firearms legal countries. I'm not going to post any stats since the anti's will just de bunk them anyways.
I agree, that was my point though not explained well. The gun laws are irrelevant to this situation because of the "criminal thing" you correctly mention. The gun law didn't cause this, but it certainly did nothing to prevent it because as you point out, it really had no bearing.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
NRA wasn't around with the founding fathers gave us the Second.

So, you believe gun laws will prevent criminals who want to use guns from getting them? Funny, it hasn't worked for heroine, meth or cocaine yet.
No, I don't believe that. I'm just saying since we are a country full of guns, there are bound to be gun accidents from time to time.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:12 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Lets see if we can follow the OPs reasoning here shall we?

San Francisco has a very restrictive policy on legal concealed carry-for all practical purposes it is not legal for private citizens.

Both the city and the state have very restrictive laws on the purchase of handguns.

The state demands "safety tests" for handguns, far beyond federal requirements.

And San Francisco has drive-by shootings.

So, in comparison, my city:

Supports legal concealed carry, and makes attaining a CCW permit quite easy.

Has about 15% of the population that has concealed carry permits

Is in a state with some of the nation's least restrictive gun laws.

Has a state preemption policy, that prohibits localities from passing gun laws more restrictive than what the state has.

And has no drive-by shootings.

Thank you OP, you've proven the point that pro-gun people make-couldn't agree more. Legal citizen concealed carry makes you safer and deters criminals.
Hi, you cannot compare a city of 850 thousand in a region of 8 million to your village of 5 thousand with a region of 100 thousand or whatever it is. There are many different dynamics going on. California may have restrictive gun laws but other states nearby do not. Where do you think these gangsters get their guns? They are not making their own guns. The guns are flowing in from states like yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies