Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I have the right to bring back eradicated diseases using my kids
Yes 5 13.89%
No 31 86.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Are you banning grandma and grandpa from seeing your baby if they haven't gotten MMR vaccinations? How about Pertussis? How about Shingles vax? How about the FLU SHOT?

Send me a picture, or SCIPE. Will your precious contract a deadly disease from that too?
I doubt many grandmas and grandpa have the mmr vax, it did not exist back then, they probably suffered through the disease when they were kids and have natural immunity.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
I'll get my vaccinations at the suggestion of an AMA certified doctor, not Jenny McCarthy. I just received a number of vaccinations for a trip to South America about 5 months ago, no issues.

For all of the childhood vaccinations that have been around for decades, there is really no reason for anyone's kid to not get them unless their health is at risk doing so. They are safe and they do their job for the most part. They do their job much better when everyone is vaccinated.
The bottom line is, diseases kill, vaccinations don't.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:46 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I doubt many grandmas and grandpa have the mmr vax, it did not exist back then, they probably suffered through the disease when they were kids and have natural immunity.
Yep and their immunity lasted them for life, unlike the vaccine which does not confer lifetime immunity. Your grandma was also able to pass on passive antibodies to her babies that helped protect them from measles, mumps and rubella for at least the first few months of life and for as long as she breastfed. Infancy is a risky time and infants today are more at risk then ever before due to the fact that they no longer get the passive immunity from their mothers, they have to wait until they are older and get vaccinated leaving then vulnerable during an already vulnerable time. Messing with mother nature and with our immune system has consequences. Some people don't seem to understand that.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Children undergoing chemotherapy, or have an illness which causes compromised immune systems or are too young to have immunization therapy cannot have the vaccines for MMR, polio, etc. These kids are vulnerable to measles and all the other diseases for which they cannot have protection. If they catch these diseases from an unvaccinated child, it will be far more serious, often fatal for them.

In other parts of the world, people continued to die of these diseases, especially children. Here in Western Civilization these illnesses became out of sight out of mind. Now they are reappearing over here. Those who are not immunized by choice are getting sick but also those who were not immunized because their health would not permit it might be getting sick as well. They have no choice.

I had measles and chickenpox when I was a kid. So did my sisters. There were no vaccinations in those days. We were lucky we got to be at home to recuperate. It wasn't epidemic at the time we came down with these illnesses. Later on I remember when measles raged through our school the sick children were hospitalized and my entire school was like a ghost town. City ordinance proclaimed the kids had to go to the hospital where they were quarantined. That was the rule of those days. It was how the disease was kept from spreading.

Not all the kids made it back home. Measles were nothing to fool around with. Some cases are light and some are not. Children died. No one my age will ever forget those parts or our childhoods because those were an ingrained part of our childhood. Measles, Polio, Diphtheria, Chickenpox. All small-child killers which through the decades have been eradicated from parent's minds when vaccines to prevent them were discovered.

Sure, it's possible to have a reaction and have complications from the MMR immunizations or the Polio vaccines. I am not arguing that isn't possible. I believe that to be true in some rare cases.The thing is, there is a greater chance of dying from the diseases these vaccines prevent than the diseases themselves. As we can see, when people don't have their kids immunized these diseases do come back. So either way they are taking a chance on their kid's health. I think they are taking a bigger risk by not getting their kids immunized than just leaving it to chance that they won't get sick and maybe die.
Another thing to remember, measles is very dangerous in adults, along with other childhood diseases....The Dangers of Childhood Diseases for Adults | Women's Health Magazine

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...202-story.html

Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Another thing to remember, measles is very dangerous in adults, along with other childhood diseases....The Dangers of Childhood Diseases for Adults | Women's Health Magazine

And now adults (and infants) are more at risk for what was once a childhood illness thanks to the vaccine. Why don't people think about these types of consequences. We are causing just as many problems as we are solving. It's not ok.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 26 days ago)

27,645 posts, read 16,129,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
It was eradicted in the United States. That doesn't mean foreign visitors or Americans abroad cannot bring it here.
Therefore exposing a stupid poll question as misleading in the first place..
Quote:
I have the right to bring back eradicated diseases using my kids
We should consider your response in the equation.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:55 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Therefore exposing a stupid poll question as misleading in the first place.. We should consider your response in the equation.
Well, the poll was silly because it was based off an article from The Onion.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:00 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
The bottom line is, diseases kill, vaccinations don't.
Uh . . . That would be the top line.

The bottom line acknowledges body content.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:02 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Tell that to the infected people in California and Arizona.
"Tell that to the victims who died in the school shooting"

"Tell that to the victims who died in the Twin Towers on 9/11"

How many times are you going to fall for that argument? Just because some multi-million to one improbability happens doesn't mean we should crap our pants in fear and force people to do things they don't want to do.

The past 5 years has seen an average of 160 measles cases in the US annually. 300,000,000 people / 160 cases = 1.875 million to 1. How many of those cases originated from unvaccinated Americans? None. How many of those 160 cases of imported measles have died? None.

People are talking about labeling others as mentally insane for not wanting these vaccinations, talking about taking their children away from them, talking about expelling their children from schools, firing people form their jobs, sending them to leper colonies, etc. A highly disproportionate reaction considering the how little there is to be scared of.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Chicken pox used to be a childhood disease that almost everyone got and adults who were exposed to children with chicken pox received an "boost" to their immune systems from being around them. This "boost" helped keep shingles in check. Now more and more children and adults are getting shingles due to adults no longer being exposed to natural chicken pox because chicken pox are now so rare. Another unintended consequence of interfering with mother nature and our immune systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies