Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I have the right to bring back eradicated diseases using my kids
Yes 5 13.89%
No 31 86.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 10:49 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Wrong! ( I know, I'm just mean!)
You still think I brought that up for some reason? I didn't. Moving on.......

Quote:
Infants born to immunized mothers get less antibody, and it wears off sooner, but they do receive some immunity from their moms. MMR vaccine confers immunity for many years, possibly life long. The vaccine has only been around about 50 years, so we can't say "life long" for sure. The purpose of the booster is to catch the people who were immunized but the vaccine didn't take.
Do you have any links to show that mothers who have not had measles but rather the vaccine pass on the antibodies to their babies and links to how long those antibodies last compared to a mom who passes antibodies from natural measles on to her children?

Quote:
I don't know if measles is more risky for an adult than a child. Perhaps you have some links to peer-reviewed literature on this point.?
Someone here (a pro vaxxer) posted an article about how measles is more dangerous to adults and that is what I had responded to.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Rich kids bathed in oatmeal.
Fancy.

9,694 posts, read 7,385,183 times
You think the rise of childhood diese is because of all the unvaccinated kids coming across the border everyday, you think this argument is so the liberal can get more future voters in the country, I mean if everybody agreed that we need vain stipe they would have to close the border, we can't have that

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
The measles outbreak in Ohio in the Summer of 2014 was due to an unvaccinated Amish person travelling to the Philippines, contracting the measles there and then coming back to the US.
Right, it originated in the Philippines & was imported back to the United States, where it was then confined to their Amish colony. I'm all for vaccinations for people traveling internationally.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:51 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think that my point went over your head. Measles used to be considered a childhood illness. Almost everyone got it and they almost all got it as children. measles is more risky to adults and infants. Infants used to be protected from measles via passive antibodies for about the first three months of life and if their mother breastfed, via breastmilk. Now children get the vaccine around the age of one. They no longer have the benefit of passive antibodies to protect them in infancy because moms no longer have the antibodies to pass on to their babies because moms never got natural measles as children. Due to the fact that MMR vaccine does not confer lifetime immunity for many, adults are now more at risk. Getting measles as an adult is more risky then getting it as a child. Messing with mother nature has consequences. Trying to circumvent our immune system has consequences.
The measles were almost eradicated in the U.S., until the anti-vaxxer movement. The reason we got to that point is because of vaccines, and the measles vaccine works very well in most people, that is why not that many were infected at Disney land. Passive immunity doesn't last that long after birth.

From Medicine net.....

Quote:

Passive immunity: Immunity produced by the transfer to one
person of antibodies that were produced by another person. Protection from
passive immunity diminishes in a relatively short time, usually a few weeks or
months. For example, antibodies passed from the mother to the baby before birth
confer passive immunity to the baby for the first 4-6 months of
life.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:52 AM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
HyperVocal

As a mother, I put my parenting decisions above all else. Nobody knows my son better than me, and the choices I make about how to care for him are no one’s business but my own. So, when other people tell me how they think I should be raising my child, I simply can’t tolerate it. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I fully stand behind my choices as a mom, including my choice not to vaccinate my son, because it is my fundamental right as a parent to decide which eradicated diseases come roaring back.

Do do parents have the right to bring back polio, small pox, and measles from eradication?
Interesting , so the parents are the ones bringing the diseases back. Are you sure it isn't the huge influx of illegal aliens being allowed into this country that are bringing in disease ? I'm pretty sure many are non vaccinated so if people are not afraid of them, why would they be afraid of non vaccinated children from this country ?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I bet most people know what childhood illnesses they had. If you were born prior to 1957 you most likely had the measles. I remember chicken pox well. It was not the big deal that people try to make it out to be in these discussions. My whole neighborhood had it together and we played outside the entire time. I actually have fond memories of that summer when we all ran around together covered in itchy spots. Stopping at home only long enough to put on some calamine lotion or to take a bath with baking soda.
Again, it effects different people differently, I remember not having many lesions, but some of the neighbor kids were covered and miserable, I don't even remember itching that much. I was born in 1954, FYI.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
That is complete and utter nonsense, My mother, sister and oldest brother had shingles, They all had CP as kids, explain that one. The same virus that causes CP, causes shingles and you have to have had CP to get shingles, otherwise you will get CP. BTW, I do plan on getting the shingles vaccine along with all of the other adult vaccines.
That's pretty easy to explain. Again, I think you missed my point. Everyone who gets chicken pox (or the vaccine for that matter) is at risk for shingles. When people who had already gotten the chicken pox were exposed to others with chicken pox they received a natural "boost" to their immune system which helped to suppress shingles. Parents got a boost from being around their children while the children had chicken pox. Grandparents got the boost from being around their grandchildren when they had it. That's not to say that shingles never occurred but wild chickenpox exposure did help to keep it in check in many people. I don't remember many children or young adults getting shingles in the not so distant past. Now it's becoming more common. I think we can "thank" the vaccine for that.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The measles were almost eradicated in the U.S., until the anti-vaxxer movement. The reason we got to that point is because of vaccines, and the measles vaccine works very well in most people, that is why not that many were infected at Disney land. Passive immunity doesn't last that long after birth.
Measles can't be eradicated unless the vaccine is 100% effective with lifelong immunity. There is currently a lawsuit against Merck, some whistleblowers blew the whistle about Merck lying about the efficacy of the vaccine. Real herd immunity does not come from vaccines.

Passive immunity protects infants during the most vulnerable early months of their lives.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:00 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,222,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Interesting , so the parents are the ones bringing the diseases back. Are you sure it isn't the huge influx of illegal aliens being allowed into this country that are bringing in disease ? I'm pretty sure many are non vaccinated so if people are not afraid of them, why would they be afraid of non vaccinated children from this country ?
Central American countries have similar rates of vaccination for MMR as the US does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies