Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I have the right to bring back eradicated diseases using my kids
Yes 5 13.89%
No 31 86.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 11:01 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The measles were almost eradicated in the U.S., until the anti-vaxxer movement. The reason we got to that point is because of vaccines, and the measles vaccine works very well in most people, that is why not that many were infected at Disney land. Passive immunity doesn't last that long after birth.

From Medicine net.....

There's no link between a handful of Americans passing on MMR vaccines and the Disney outbreak. They are unrelated o matter how much you wish to link them together.

The odds of getting the measles is over 2,000,000 to 1. If you've been vaccinated it should be significantly higher since the claim is that two MMR shots creates 99% effectiveness. In addition to the astronomical odds of getting the measles, no one's even dying from it.

The fear and loathing seems highly disproportionate to the actual threat.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:07 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
quote=MissTerri;38289879]That's pretty easy to explain. Again, I think you missed my point. Everyone who gets chicken pox (or the vaccine for that matter) is at risk for shingles. When people who had already gotten the chicken pox were exposed to others with chicken pox they received a natural "boost" to their immune system which helped to suppress shingles. Parents got a boost from being around their children while the children had chicken pox. Grandparents got the boost from being around their grandchildren when they had it. That's not to say that shingles never occurred but wild chickenpox exposure did help to keep it in check in many people. I don't remember many children or young adults getting shingles in the not so distant past. Now it's becoming more common. I think we can "thank" the vaccine for that.[/quote]

The key word here is rarely, it is my opinion that these people my have contacted CP after getting the vaccine and had an extremely mild case of the CP and didn't even know it.

From web MD.
"Shingles is caused by the Varicella Zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. Only someone who has had chickenpox – or, rarely, has gotten chickenpox vaccinecan get shingles. The virus stays in your body, and can cause shingles many years later."

Old 02-03-2015, 11:12 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
[quote=Ghostrider275452;38290072]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
That's pretty easy to explain. Again, I think you missed my point. Everyone who gets chicken pox (or the vaccine for that matter) is at risk for shingles. When people who had already gotten the chicken pox were exposed to others with chicken pox they received a natural "boost" to their immune system which helped to suppress shingles. Parents got a boost from being around their children while the children had chicken pox. Grandparents got the boost from being around their grandchildren when they had it. That's not to say that shingles never occurred but wild chickenpox exposure did help to keep it in check in many people. I don't remember many children or young adults getting shingles in the not so distant past. Now it's becoming more common. I think we can "thank" the vaccine for that.
Quote:
The key word here is rarely, it is my opinion that these people my have contacted CP after getting the vaccine and had an extremely mild case of the CP and didn't even know it.

From web MD.
"Shingles is caused by the Varicella Zoster virus, the same virus that causes chickenpox. Only someone who has had chickenpox – or, rarely, has gotten chickenpox vaccinecan get shingles. The virus stays in your body, and can cause shingles many years later."
Again, I think you completely missed my point. You may want to reread what I wrote one more time. I think it was pretty clear.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Measles can't be eradicated unless the vaccine is 100% effective with lifelong immunity. There is currently a lawsuit against Merck, some whistleblowers blew the whistle about Merck lying about the efficacy of the vaccine. Real herd immunity does not come from vaccines.

Passive immunity protects infants during the most vulnerable early months of their lives.
I believe the vaccine is 87% effective, kids or adults for that matter, who don't get a lot of protection from vaccines are fairly well protected by other kids/people who the vaccine worked well for or had measles. Thus herd immunity(which is not 100%). Also, there is no guarantee by having the disease will give full protection.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:16 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,223,348 times
Quote:
Measles can't be eradicated unless the vaccine is 100% effective with lifelong immunity. There is currently a lawsuit against Merck, some whistleblowers blew the whistle about Merck lying about the efficacy of the vaccine. Real herd immunity does not come from vaccines.

Passive immunity protects infants during the most vulnerable early months of their lives.
Measles could be eradicated without the vaccine being 100% effective. It was done here in the US and we only see a measles outbreak when someone brings it here. If measles vaccines were given to every person throughout the world, it would be eradicated in a few decades without 100% effectiveness.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
There's no link between a handful of Americans passing on MMR vaccines and the Disney outbreak. They are unrelated o matter how much you wish to link them together.

The odds of getting the measles is over 2,000,000 to 1. If you've been vaccinated it should be significantly higher since the claim is that two MMR shots creates 99% effectiveness. In addition to the astronomical odds of getting the measles, no one's even dying from it.

The fear and loathing seems highly disproportionate to the actual threat.
You need to read some of the links I provided on the measles, it is not the passive disease in everyone you seem to think it is and some die from complications. BTW, It states in the one article, that most who got the measles did not have the vaccine. You need to read before commenting.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I believe the vaccine is 87% effective, kids or adults for that matter, who don't get a lot of protection from vaccines are fairly well protected by other kids/people who the vaccine worked well for or had measles. Thus herd immunity(which is not 100%). Also, there is no guarantee by having the disease will give full protection.
Where did you come up with your 87% number? You do know that Merck is currently involved in lawsuit. They have been accused by former employees of lying about efficacy rates.
Lawsuits Allege Merck Lied About MMR Efficacy, Motions To Dismiss Denied

Old 02-03-2015, 11:26 AM

[quote=MissTerri;38290124]
Quote:

Again, I think you completely missed my point. You may want to reread what I wrote one more time. I think it was pretty clear.
I did not miss your point, I just don't agree and you provide a lot of misinformation. You may be right about the boost in immunity when being exposed, but I am not sure.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:28 AM

[quote=Ghostrider275452;38290339]
Quote:
I did not miss your point, I just don't agree and you provide a lot of misinformation. You may be right about the boost in immunity when being exposed, but I am not sure.
If you are going to accuse me of providing misinformation, I'd appreciate it if you could be specific and tell me what "misinformation" you think I posted.

Last edited by MissTerri; 02-03-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-03-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Where did you come up with your 87% number? You do know that Merck is currently involved in lawsuit. They have been accused by former employees of lying about efficacy rates.
Lawsuits Allege Merck Lied About MMR Efficacy, Motions To Dismiss Denied
You're right, it is actually higher. From the CDC.....

How effective is MMR vaccine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies