Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I have the right to bring back eradicated diseases using my kids
Yes 5 13.89%
No 31 86.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 06:14 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
This is an interesting argument. You and several others have argued for individual rights over "collectivism." I think most people would agree that in general, what is good for the whole overrides what is good for the individual. This is especially true when the two conflict. Individual rights and collective group rights can only be honored to a certain extent.

For example, if I have a basic right to do what I want with my body, can I walk around in public naked? How about I wear giant spikes on my body and walk around a store? What if I coat my body with a deadly poison? Can I kill myself? Can I infect myself with Ebola and go grocery shopping? I get to decide what I want to do with my body right?

As others have pointed out, once a person's personal rights and choices begin infringing or even endangering those around them, that person basically forfeits those rights.
Yes; but you are referring to a modern, intelligent, socially advanced morally and ethical imperative based citizenry..........whereas..........

Old 02-04-2015, 07:15 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,751,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You mean the "crackpot doctors" and the judge who said that there was enough evidence to move forward with the lawsuit against Merck?

As human beings we should have the right to decide what medical interventions we get or do not get. Vaccines included. They are not risk free you know, to individuals or to society as a whole. I would never tell anyone to avoid them though as I firmly believe that people have the right to choose for themselves.
I am not talking about forced vaccination, everyone has the right to decide. The diseases are more of a risk than the vaccines and I can't see why anyone in their right mind would refuse them.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We're not hiding. If every single person stopped vaccinating today that would be just fine with me.
I am old enough to remember the ravages of polio and the iron lung and you would have us go back to that?

Old 02-04-2015, 07:23 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Even in "crunchy" Boulder, the times they are a-changing:
Some Boulder County parents reconsider no-vax stance after measles outbreak - Boulder Daily Camera

Old 02-04-2015, 07:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
HyperVocal

As a mother, I put my parenting decisions above all else. Nobody knows my son better than me, and the choices I make about how to care for him are no one’s business but my own. So, when other people tell me how they think I should be raising my child, I simply can’t tolerate it. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I fully stand behind my choices as a mom, including my choice not to vaccinate my son, because it is my fundamental right as a parent to decide which eradicated diseases come roaring back.

Do do parents have the right to bring back polio, small pox, and measles from eradication?
Some diseases can only exist in a human host, so once we eliminate any infections in humans the disease will cease to exist.

One problem is that we just allowed tens of thousands of people from Central America to be distributed all over the US, and now we have outbreaks of diseases- all over the US.

So even if we forced every American to be vaccinated, we would still see outbreaks from carriers of the disease coming into the US.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
I can write only about my own views.

1. I dislike being referred to as an antivaxxer. It's not a word. It's also extreme. I'm personally against the newer vaccinations because of all the garbage in them and because we are a pharmaceutical-induced America (since the 1990s). When I'm told I must get a flu vaccine that doesn't immunize me against the current flu out there (but, hey, get vaccinated anyway), it's money driven and it's obvious.
2. There are some vaccines I'm for.
3. "It's absolutely rage inducing people consciously choose stupidity and endanger everyone else." No, this is not true. Read more from non-media/pharm. controlled media.
4. You really don't see what's happened in this country.

And so it goes.

Here's some more to stir up the pot here (like it needs stirring...): Vaccination debate flares in GOP presidential race, alarming medical experts - The Washington Post
The flu vaccine this year was the right combo of viruses, but the virus mutated making the shot less effective, however the shot does offer some protection from the virus or if you contract the virus, it may be less severe, which also makes it less likely for secondary infections like pneumonia.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Perhaps we need a vaccine for ignorance.
Don't think that would help, because even well educated people hold tight to wacky, fringe beliefs, and no matter what facts, or knowledge you impart to them, it will not pierce their tinfoil hat.

Some of the same people refusing to be vaccinated are also 9/11 truthers, birthers, GMO food and moon landing conspiracy nutters, they believe what they want to believe, no matter what.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Some diseases can only exist in a human host, so once we eliminate any infections in humans the disease will cease to exist.

One problem is that we just allowed tens of thousands of people from Central America to be distributed all over the US, and now we have outbreaks of diseases- all over the US.

So even if we forced every American to be vaccinated, we would still see outbreaks from carriers of the disease coming into the US.
Not as much of a problem as you might think, Central America and Mexico have very good vaccination programs.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:58 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

Those children fleeing unsafe countries aren't the problem...it's people like Jenny McCarthy, who jumped on the bandwagon with other families who chose to believe that vaccines which have been given for decades are now causing the resurgence of treatable diseases.

Immigrant Children From Central America Aren't a Disease Threat

Old 02-04-2015, 08:11 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Those children fleeing unsafe countries aren't the problem...it's people like Jenny McCarthy, who jumped on the bandwagon with other families who chose to believe that vaccines which have been given for decades are now causing the resurgence of treatable diseases.

Immigrant Children From Central America Aren't a Disease Threat
Have to say amazing how many rich educated people decided it was best to follow a "playboy bunny."

Mexico is having a measles outbreak. Who is to say all those illegal immigrants that came in last year didn't bring it into the schools and then several attended Disneyland. I just find it strange very little is being said about possible illegals spreading diseases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies