Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times

Advertisements

But only in Iceland.

Volcanoes and Climate Change: How They're Linked

Old 01-30-2015, 04:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,016,027 times
I couldn't get the linked article to come up for me for some reason, so couldn't read it and don't know what it says.

However, I thought the knowledge that earth's warming periods caused an increase in volcanic activity and earthquakes was something that was fairly common knowledge by now. There's nothing loony about it, it's a proven fact and I guess you just didn't know about it.

If you care to do an online search you'll find there are several other science and geology reports available online about scientific studies done that show that volcanic action increased significantly during the earth's many other climate change warming periods all around the world in the distant past, not only in Iceland. Also other studies have shown evidence there had been increases in seismic activity and the number of violent earthquakes during the earth's warming periods in the past.

Here is an article from 2012 from Popular Science about the increases in volcanic activity during past warming periods:
Global Warming Triggers Volcanic Eruptions, Scientists Say | Popular Science

Another from 2012: Climate change can cause volcanic eruptions

Here is one from 2013 from Live Science, based on the study report released by the journal Geology:
Climate Change Causes Increased Volcanism

Here is one from 2014 from WUWT: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/10/0...ing-volcanoes/

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-30-2015 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 05:06 PM

Additionally, I guess you just haven't noticed or just never made the connection, but there HAS been a notable increase in both volcanic and seismic activity around the world in the past 20 years with a huge increase in the past 8 years. They've been increasing more and more progressively with each passing year now. They aren't just happening in places that are known for it to be common, they are also happening now in places where they've never been common or where they've not been known to ever happen before.

Keep your ear to the ground.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:31 PM

549 posts, read 456,708 times
Zoisite,

Maybe you should read these articles:

The climate-volcano connection doesn't apply to Earth's current warming trend, of course, because we're not in the middle of an ice age--it's been 12,000 years since the world's continents felt the weight of all that frozen water.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Zoisite,

Maybe you should read these articles:

The climate-volcano connection doesn't apply to Earth's current warming trend, of course, because we're not in the middle of an ice age--it's been 12,000 years since the world's continents felt the weight of all that frozen water.
There are many more reports than just those I listed. Each one says something a little different from the other, different conclusions, different speculations. Not all conclusions are about ice or the weight of ice, some are about increases in ocean temperatures and earth surface temperatures, some are about GHG's in the atmosphere. They vary.

Something that they do all say in common though is that during past warming periods there have been dramatic increases in volcanic and seismic activity. That is all that I'm interested to know about in correlation with what is happening today. I don't need to know what the reasons for the increases are in either the warming trends or the volcanic and seismic increases and I don't care how much ice there was 12,000 years ago.

The only thing that's important to me to know about today is that in the past during warming periods there were increases in volcanic and seismic activity, and now today in the 21st century the earth is progressing in a warming trend again and there is already a notable increase again in volcanic and seismic activity. I will deduce from this that as the warming trend continues and earth gets progressively hotter I can expect the volcanic/seismic activity to get progressively worse.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:20 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Erupting volcanoes have a cooling effect. looks like nature is keeping itself in balance. No need for government "solutions".

Old 01-30-2015, 06:55 PM

549 posts, read 456,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Something that they do all say in common though is that during past warming periods there have been dramatic increases in volcanic and seismic activity. That is all that I'm interested to know about in correlation with what is happening today.
Correlation between A and B doesn't mean A leads to B. It might be that B leads to A, or C leads to both A and B. If there's indeed increased seismic activity, it would have 1000 times stronger effect on the climate than human activity.

Last edited by vvega; 01-30-2015 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-30-2015, 07:03 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
If the Op had bothered to read the Time article and took a few minutes to mull it over, it makes a compelling arguement for the consequence of AGW. Just more evidence on a mountain of evidence of AGW...at least for those whose minds are not completely closed because of religious or political beliefs.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:05 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
If the Op had bothered to read the Time article and took a few minutes to mull it over, it makes a compelling arguement for the consequence of AGW. Just more evidence on a mountain of evidence of AGW...at least for those whose minds are not completely closed because of religious or political beliefs.
Compelling argument.

Ice squeezed volcanos to keep them from erupting.

Sorry, I am still laughing.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Correlation between A and B doesn't mean A leads to B. It might be that B leads to A, or C leads to both A and B. Volcanic activity clearly leads to warming. If there's indeed increased seismic activity, that would be 1000 times stronger reason for warming than human activity.
Maybe. Maybe not. It doesn't matter. I'm satisfied to know that A and B apparently go hand in hand and can be expected.

The only human activity I would be interested in would be that of humans preparing accordingly for survival of the warming, volcanoes and earthquakes. I live in an earthquake zone and it's expected so I was already better prepared for that in my location than I was for a volcano in my location. Now I think it has not hurt to have made a few extra preparations to deal with a volcano in the event that might also happen here too.

I don't think there would be any harm for everybody to try to be prepared to survive any of those eventualities instead of looking for arguements, discrepancies and excuses to not do anything to help themselves.

Last edited by Zoisite; 01-30-2015 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies