Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 12:00 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Do you think the Olympics committee will take back the Olympic medals from Caitlyn, now that Caitlyn has done away with Bruce, and is now in possession of medals that were won by a different "person"
The Olympics Committee has already gone on record stating that they are open to changes in the athlete's recorded personal information. They have no intention of rescinding any medals.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:20 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,160,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
First, you are relying on mainstream stereotypes of 50 +/- years ago to define how people are treated today. We have gay marriage today, so obviously mainstream minds have been moved to change. Since those minds have been moved to change, its rediculous to act like the majority of mainstream America would raise an eyebrow at Jenners coming out. The concept is so 1980s. Therefore, the courage being lauded over is not as significant as one might percieve it while using reactions of 50+/- years ago.
35% of Americans still oppose gay marriage. What percentage do you think are uncomfortable with a gender change? I can't imagine it would be less than 35%. Take a look at the posts on this thread. It is obvious that America's thoughts on transgender folks are not where you are depicting them to be. Here are some more telling stats: 8 critical facts about the state of transgender America

Quote:
Reality is Caitlyn is no wallflower, never has been even when she was Bruce. She has all the awards and endorsements being an Olympic Gold Medalist entitles her to. She may be the poster child for the Transgender community at this point in time, but is this award for only the Transgender community?

Well, no, if it was, there would be only homosexual and transgender nominees. That's not the case.
Trangender acceptance is good for society in general, just as race equality isn't just good for minorities.

Quote:
I cant imagine being told now at 53, that I have brain cancer. Nevermind at an age where I havent even really experienced much of a life yet. Lauren didnt have much of an opportunity to do much, and yet she accepted her situation continued to participate in life fully, and even made room in her heart for other people at a time when most of us, regardless of gender, would be firmly forcused on ourselves.

I would think that takes a lot of courage.
I agree.

Quote:
I dont think it takes all that much courage for someone naturally approaching the end of their life to say to heck with it, Im going to be the real me.

As Jenner said him/herself, the kids are grown, blah blah blah, its time to be me. I dont see the big hurdle there, sorry - but regardless of homosexuality, heterosexuality, gender or whatever - what can possibly happen to Caitlyn for coming out now?
You seem to be conflating homosexuality and transgender a lot in this post. Coming out as gay is not particularly courageous in 2015 for most people. Coming out as transgender is a different story. Jenner is literally the first legitimately famous person to ever do this.

The risks include social ridicule, rejection by personal friends and family, discrimination, and a constant fight to be recognized as the gender one identifies with.

Quote:
In the 70s you would have seen open disdain from practically the whole world, and possibly even see Caitlyn beaten down in the street, and Bruce never being allowed to participate in the Olympics to begin with, if other atheletes complained. Instead of broadening her horizons like now, Bruce could have made them completely disappear.

If you still cant see what I mean then you might want to check your own list of biases. With acceptance comes normalcy. All these once shunned issues may have needed to feel special, but now that they are accepted, there is little specialness left to claim. Its a sad fact that being one of the herd, is simply just that.
That simply isn't true for transgender people. I just saw a study that said only 22% of Americans know or have worked with a transgender person. There is no great herd of transgender people operating publicly in society. I really think you are conflating homosexuality with transgender. It's easy to name a lot of public gay people. It isn't easy to name multiple transgender people.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:29 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,115,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
"So 2 million teens, Tweens, and bored housewives with Twitter accounts are suddenly important members of society that we need to be concerned about?

Snoop Dogg actually does contribute to our society in a meaningful way --- he's been making socially-conscious rap music for urban youth for over 25 years, giving them hope and encouragement to make a better life for themselves that doesn't involve drugs or gangs or violence. He also operates a very successful youth football league in L.A. that targets at-risk kids, especially ones in single parent households. Many of the youth league alumni go on to get scholarships at Division I college football programs. Snoop is helping poor black kids achieve a college education and possibly lucrative NFL careers! MLK Jr. would be damn proud of him.

Snoop is a hell of a lot more important to American society than some irrelevant freak show like Caitlyn/Bruce or whatever the hell that thing is calling itself these days." OP.

Wishing death upon someone you don't know personally says alot.
What you really mean is that you enjoy his misogynistic crap.

And that says a lot.

As for Martin Luther King, he is rolling over in his grave even as we speak.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:44 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,872,677 times
How did they hide his penis in a woman's one piece swimsuit for the Vanity Fair photo shoot?

Old 06-07-2015, 12:54 PM

774 posts, read 744,170 times
How silly. Of course it shouldn't be. It was named such because of what Bruce Jenner accomplished in his sports career. He can call himself Caitlyn if he wants but Caitlyn didn't earn that Gold... Bruce did.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:05 PM

2,078 posts, read 1,027,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keepingquiet View Post
My only guess is that they are disgusted and offended. It must really annoy them that we now live in a world were what disgust and offends them can be celebrated and treated as normal or even heroic. I'm happy she gets to be the woman she feels she is. I know as a teen a lot of people thought I was going to become a woman. My first lesbian friend, now a man, thought I was transgendered. I'm feminine but I am not a woman. I am happy I am not transgendered because that is a hard road to walk with a lot of negativity and violence thrown at you. I understand that it takes a lot of courage for someone to do something for themselves that so many people see as self hateful and evil. Being a celebrity makes it worst because you are criticized for everything you do.

It mostly has to do with how some pathetic old man can be celebrated as a hero cause likes to dress up. Rupaul did the same thing like 20 years ago so what he is doing is not ground breaking at all. Its just people are so brain dead they think the kardashians are something to look up to. What on earth has he done to be a hero? Nothing, this is 100% about money fame and ego. He doesn't even give a microsecond of a thought about some kid sitting in his room who is miserable because he doesn't know if he is a boy or a girl. You are brain dead delusional window licker if you think bruce jenner cares about anyone but himself.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:18 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,337 times
I would imagine 33% of American opose me - so what? lol. It doesnt change the fact I am normal. Just one of the herd.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:26 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Calling her he when she's asked to be called she IS lacking empathy and compassion.

Imagine what it would feel like if you'd woken up this morning with the other sex's genitals. It would be creepy and wrong and just yucky. That's how she's felt every day of her life. Only an empathy free jerk could be mean to someone experiencing that.
"He" is the pronoun used to describe a male and "she" is the pronoun used to describe a female. As he is male, I will continue to use the pronoun "he".

Old 06-07-2015, 01:27 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatetheheat01 View Post
How did they hide his penis in a woman's one piece swimsuit for the Vanity Fair photo shoot?
He tucked it behind his legs. Look at how weird he is sitting.

Old 06-07-2015, 01:28 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatetheheat01 View Post
Photoshop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.