Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Yes, of course, but simply because Jenner's actions would have been more courageous in the 70's than today doesn't mean that Jenner's actions today are less courageous than Hill's actions today.

I think Jenner's actions are courageous, and I do hope that people feel free to pursue whatever makes them happy (within certain limits). I am posting on this thread, however, because I think people are fundamentally mis-comparing Jenner's actions to Hill's. They are comparing the plight of cancer victims with Jenner's "plight," and concluding that Hill should have won. That is bad reasoning given the purpose of the award.
Sure, Ms. Courageous spent the weekend with galpals poolside looking into the mountains [for the fashionistas, she wore a blouse with denim jeans and pink wedges], travelled to San Francisco. She'll have the agonizing decision over whether to accept an offer to judge the Miss USA pageant. The dreadful prospect of conflicts between her tv mini-series and her reality show[s]. Suffering through the hours of makeup and wardrobe decisions before public appearances, knowing she's a role model and inspiration.

I grasp why a business like ESPN took advantage of the controversy and publicity. How a regular person can equate Jenner's decision to how Hill faced her adversity is bizarre.

The fact that many people do face disease with courage, grace, and even good humor as Hill did, doesn't detract from her, nor add an iota to the so-called courage of Jenner.

Old 06-08-2015, 10:54 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Why does any of that matter?
It matters because if this is a thing some people experience, and that's behavior exhibited by them, it helps to know that you aren't just trying to make a statement on my lawn, you're doing something you cannot help. I may not like what you're doing to my lawn, but I'll be more understanding of it.

Could be you're just having a mental breakdown. And I'd be more understanding of that.

Or you could be an aggressive moron with no filter and no boundaries trying to make a statement of disrespect, in which case my feelings will shift and I'll take your behavior personally.

But I would leave it up to experts who know far more than I and defer to them about what's behind your behavior. I'm an expert in my field, not theirs.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:13 AM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Sure, Ms. Courageous spent the weekend with galpals poolside looking into the mountains [for the fashionistas, she wore a blouse with denim jeans and pink wedges], travelled to San Francisco. She'll have the agonizing decision over whether to accept an offer to judge the Miss USA pageant. The dreadful prospect of conflicts between her tv mini-series and her reality show[s]. Suffering through the hours of makeup and wardrobe decisions before public appearances, knowing she's a role model and inspiration.
To some. To many many others (the majority, I'd say) she's a freak and a disgrace. I don't begrudge her any satisfaction she can get out of it after living with it suppressed for so long.

Quote:
I grasp why a business like ESPN took advantage of the controversy and publicity. How a regular person can equate Jenner's decision to how Hill faced her adversity is bizarre.

The fact that many people do face disease with courage, grace, and even good humor as Hill did, doesn't detract from her, nor add an iota to the so-called courage of Jenner.

By the same token, Jenner is facing an entirely different battle, which is not equivalent and I don't know why anyone is equating it in either a positive or negative way.

IMHO, it is indeed brave to decide to come out in the face of public digust and ridicule. Many have either lived a lie or offed themselves rather than face that daunting prospect.

There's enough of us to bestow us much kudos on as many as we feel worthy. I don't see why we have to ration it.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:48 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:

Typically a person going through a gender transforming process would like to keep it private. I don't see the case here, as it seems to be a commercialized process.

Old 06-08-2015, 11:53 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
To some. To many many others (the majority, I'd say) she's a freak and a disgrace. I don't begrudge her any satisfaction she can get out of it after living with it suppressed for so long.

By the same token, Jenner is facing an entirely different battle, which is not equivalent and I don't know why anyone is equating it in either a positive or negative way.

IMHO, it is indeed brave to decide to come out in the face of public digust and ridicule. Many have either lived a lie or offed themselves rather than face that daunting prospect.

There's enough of us to bestow us much kudos on as many as we feel worthy. I don't see why we have to ration it.
Oh please. It's not like Jenner's some poor unknown oddball who's options are zero or who's friends, family, business associates would consider a transformation sickening or shameful, who'd be ostracized and rejected. Jenner lived a lie for most of his life. At this point, do you think he gives a rat's patootie about some ridicule on message boards while getting kudos from the prez, courage awards, tv shows, etc..

The thread about Jenner receiving the Arthur Ashe Courage Award was merged with this one. I don't particularly care if Jenner is or was a man or woman. I don't think his decision took much courage.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:03 PM

13,418 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Oh please. It's not like Jenner's some poor unknown oddball who's options are zero or who's friends, family, business associates would consider a transformation sickening or shameful, who'd be ostracized and rejected. Jenner lived a lie for most of his life. At this point, do you think he gives a rat's patootie about some ridicule on message boards while getting kudos from the prez, courage awards, tv shows, etc..
I hope he doesn't. I sincerely do. But if you think the thought of ridicule has only crossed his mind now, when according to him he's been doing this in private since he's eight, then I think you'd be wrong.

Quote:
The thread about Jenner receiving the Arthur Ashe Courage Award was merged with this one. I don't particularly care if Jenner is or was a man or woman. I don't think his decision took much courage.
Of course it did. He has a whole family to deal with. I can't believe it's easy even now, unless he's a complete sociopath. Plus, it's one thing to dream about doing something radical, and another to actually do it.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:21 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Did you see the women who asked her son each day if he felt like a girl that day or a boy? Makes me wonder if this was Bruce's upbringing. What some can do to their kids, HUH?

Old 06-08-2015, 05:24 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Did you see the women who asked her son each day if he felt like a girl that day or a boy? Makes me wonder if this was Bruce's upbringing.
No. It wasn't.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:33 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Neither does his daughter. "Not very nice to say about your friends dad."

Kylie Jenner Reacts to Chris Brown's Transphobic Caitlyn Jenner Instagram Post | E! Online
I read somewhere that she told her kids to keep calling her Dad since that's what they've been calling her their entire lives.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:22 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Let me ask you a question, do you want medical researchers to try to figure out cures for homosexuality and transsexualism?
Since I'm cisgendered and heterosexual I have no interest in the matter. I'll defer to what actual transgender and homosexual people want.

But I would hazard a guess that a lot of them would want to be changed. Imagine what the (inevitably) gay Duggar child(ren) is/are going through right now. I bet they'd do anything to be straight. I'll bet there are also a lot who are happy the way they are. At least there is a lot we can do already to fix trans people, with hormones, surgery and pre-puberty treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies