Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 04:26 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Taxas is becoming one of the most important states of the country, but still votes opposing to New York and California, why do you think it still happens?
One word "God". Texans are highly susceptible to voting based on how loudly a politician and the church screams "God".

In fact, no city may be more liberal progressive in the USA than Austin. However, it fails to get democratic seat in state elections. This map illustrates why...

Gerrymandering. And that is only one of many similar "district in Austin" that runs longer than many states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 05:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
One word "God". Texans are highly susceptible to voting based on how loudly a politician and the church screams "God".

In fact, no city may be more liberal progressive in the USA than Austin. However, it fails to get democratic seat in state elections. This map illustrates why...

Gerrymandering. And that is only one of many similar "district in Austin" that runs longer than many states.

That Pinwheel Gerrymandering was done long ago. So far back, it was all done by Democrats that ran the south. Republicans tried to change it 2010 and all the Democrats ran to Oklahoma and delayed a vote, that the DOJ got involved in.

If you ask me, all districts should be by lines already set. Counties and Parishes, with the state legislatures voting which Counties are combined, with the rule the Counties must touch boundaries to be combined.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:09 PM

152 posts, read 142,592 times
Whoops, see post below.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:10 PM

152 posts, read 142,592 times
Quote:

Not to mention, San Antonio (despite large military presence, leans liberal) Houston, Dallas, El Paso, all huge population centers that vote D.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The post you responded to was about personal freedoms, not specifically "bodies", and gay marriage falls under personal freedoms.
No, go read it again. It specifically said that conservatives want to tell people what they can do with their bodies. That is a falsehood.
Quote:
but if you want to ignore that, tell me why the GOP wants to regulate the sale of alcohol, sex toys, condoms, birth control, and abortions ?
I can't tell you why the GOP wants to do something that it doesn't want to do. With the exception of abortion, which most conservative people consider to be murder, I don't believe the GOP has advocated any tighter control over the sale of the other things. It should be obvious why the GOP wants to limit murder. Whether you believe abortion is murder or not is irrelevant. An intellectually honest person approaches what other people say and do from the perspective of that person's feelings and motivations, and does not try to force their own motivations on that other person. Your putting abortion in the same category as alcohol, therefore, indicates that you are not an intellectually honest individual.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:43 AM

1,212 posts, read 1,433,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
Im brazilian and I made this question by curiosity, but I think its interesting since this really doesnt make sense to me.
Like one said probably its because most of the pepole in TX doesnt live in cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
False. Most people in Texas do live in cities and the surrounding metro areas.

List of Texas metropolitan areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats what I mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoLongTexas View Post

Not to mention, San Antonio (despite large military presence, leans liberal) Houston, Dallas, El Paso, all huge population centers that vote D.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 20 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,535,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
No, go read it again. It specifically said that conservatives want to tell people what they can do with their bodies. That is a falsehood.
seeing as Abortion would indeed have to do with their bodies, it would still make your argument flawed.

take your own advice and be intellectually honest.

Quote:
I can't tell you why the GOP wants to do something that it doesn't want to do. With the exception of abortion, which most conservative people consider to be murder, I don't believe the GOP has advocated any tighter control over the sale of the other things. It should be obvious why the GOP wants to limit murder. Whether you believe abortion is murder or not is irrelevant. An intellectually honest person approaches what other people say and do from the perspective of that person's feelings and motivations, and does not try to force their own motivations on that other person. Your putting abortion in the same category as alcohol, therefore, indicates that you are not an intellectually honest individual.
The GOP across the country have tried to do all those things. Most of those things dont make headlines unless people think they are going to pass, doesnt change the fact that they were proposed in State legislatures.

Also, i dont put abortion in the same category as alcohol. Abortion is indeed wrong and should only be used in the worst cases( fetus that isnt going to make it to term, rape, incest....), but an intellectually honest person is also practical. When abortions were illegal, they still happened, all you are doing by making abortion harder for those who want it is creating a health hazard.

The fact that you want to make it illegal just because you believe its wrong means you arent being as honest as you claim.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:55 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,368,345 times
Quote:

Look at TX23. That district is quite unusual, yet has changed parties each of the last 4 elections. Gerrymandering isn't unique to Texas. Look at any of the historically blue states in the NE United States, and tell me there isn't some creative boundary drawing going on...

Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,167,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Fiscal policies are the bulk of it, but when it comes down to social issues, the fact of the matter is that, like most of the south, many Texans are slow to get on board with the progressive attitudes that the entire nation will inevitably arrive at. Things like same sex marriage are continuously challenged in TX for no other reasons than fearmongering and stubborn good ol' boy mindsets. Conservatives want to be able to tell you what you can do with your own body, but don't you dare try to tell them what to do with their money or their guns.

I'd say that Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio could certainly be described as progressive. Texas as a whole? Not really.
There are "progressive" elements to those cities, but they are NOTHING like Portland or San Francisco.

Texas, even those cities, is still conservative, especially with fiscal issues and the size of government.

Same sex marriage will become a non issue before long after the Supreme Court rules.

In spite of the ongoing migration of people into Texas from other states, Greg Abbott trounced Wendy Davis in the last governor's race. Republicans are in overwhelming control of the state legislature.

I don't think that is especially healthy, even though I am a small government person. Just like California's domination by the Democrats isn't good.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:28 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,996,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
There are "progressive" elements to those cities, but they are NOTHING like Portland or San Francisco.

Texas, even those cities, is still conservative, especially with fiscal issues and the size of government.

Same sex marriage will become a non issue before long after the Supreme Court rules.

In spite of the ongoing migration of people into Texas from other states, Greg Abbott trounced Wendy Davis in the last governor's race. Republicans are in overwhelming control of the state legislature.

I don't think that is especially healthy, even though I am a small government person. Just like California's domination by the Democrats isn't good.
Isnt that the truth?!! You should have seen all of the bigoted crazies come out when San Antonio and Houston were attempting to enact their gay and lesbian antidiscrimination laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies