Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 06:17 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of things that will make a nation fall/fail.

I think one of the biggest is politicians, implementing and maintaining policies, that are utterly destructive to the well-being of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 06:28 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
There's a portion of Americans that are always negative about America, the outlook for America, and are almost never optimistic. I still think the US is one of the leading innovators in the world. The US economy is also starting to fire on all cylinders. The US is like every other country on Earth, we have problems, but there are still many things to be proud of and I'm quite optimistic for the next ten years.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Unfortunately, far too many people in this country put their loyalty towards their race or ethnic group first.

It's tribal, I tell you.

Old 02-01-2015, 07:18 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
There's a portion of Americans that are always negative about America, the outlook for America, and are almost never optimistic. I still think the US is one of the leading innovators in the world. The US economy is also starting to fire on all cylinders. The US is like every other country on Earth, we have problems, but there are still many things to be proud of and I'm quite optimistic for the next ten years.
Agreed. We aren't an imperial nation anyway, so the comparisons to empires of the past is false. I think we'll do just fine. I'm not a quitter, and I suspect most of us aren't.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:43 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I believe its unchecked liberalism and hedonism and deviancy.
Man, you people don't read history.

"Unchecked liberalism" made Rome fell?

Really?

Rome was at its height of power and influence when it was PAGAN and decadent.

It's fall came after its conversion to Christianity.

Now, that doesn't mean chastity and puritanism will cause a nation to fall (though it certainly stifles art and creativity, as well as scientific advancement: See for example, fall of Islamic empire, which was most prosperous when it was liberal, open and tolerant and then turned to the hell hole societies we see today in the Middle East), but other factors were/are obviously at play.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:48 PM

97 posts, read 229,479 times
Quote:
“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.â€
― Marcus Tullius Cicero

After WW2, we were the most powerful nation on the planet. We had the resources - raw materials - and huge manufacturing plants & steel industry, the infrastructure - to do anything we desired. We were not a hated nation. We had no 'drive by' killings and hordes of illegal aliens to overtax our schools and medical facilities. Eisenhower and Kennedy had programs that built our freeway systems and our educational systems into the best anywhere. You could see a doctor and be treated for a few dollars. One person could - after graduating from HS - get a job, buy a car and afford to buy a house, get married & support a wife & family, ALL on one income. Hey! We were going to the Moon!

However - after President Kennedy was murdered - things quickly changed. Anyone old enough to remember back to the end of Truman's term, and Ike's first term as President - will know and understand. There's no way to explain the enormous changes that have been wrought on what America once was - compared to today. You'd have to live it all to grasp this. To fully understand and know these things.

As for the cause - well, as Cicero knew - this is as old as the 'civilized' world. As he orated, 'A nation cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself.' Yes, we have them in OUR government. They are loyal only to their nation. You can look them up. They are the so-called 'dual-citizens'.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
It's somewhat unhealthy when the nation is so obsessed with sports and entertainment. What nation is as obsessed as USA?
I doubt we are uniquely obsessed. Around the world, soccer wins are routinely the cause of riots and the occasional fatality. Entertainment is huge business worldwide, even muslim peasants living in villages under attack are watching movies when they can get them.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
True, but I think it would help if more people had the mindset to do something themselves. Not everyone, but some. Invent something we can export...make something valuable instead of only consuming what other people are making.
???Americans still account for for more than our share of nobel science prizes and still start new companies in staggering numbers. I do think that there is a growing gap between most americans and the americans who are seriously involved in science, including medicine and technology. I find that worrisome.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:03 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I believe its unchecked liberalism and hedonism and deviancy.
The 1950s called - Ozzie and Harriet want your morality back.

Did you put any thought into that or is it the one brain cell that always fires and blames lib'ruls?

Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 PM

To the original question - I think nations fail when their established institutions become too cumbersome and entrenched to react appropriately when world conditions change. More energy is put into protecting existing institutions than in encouraging new ones. I think we are seeing this here with the end of cheap oil.

The US will endure, but will lose its place at the head of the pack to nations with more nimble institutions.

("Institutions" may include government, but also includes heavy hitters in the private sector that have sufficient power to use government to protect them.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies