Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Opening travel to Cuba makes it easier for smuggling and means Americans will be there injecting money into their economy.

Odd how liberals absolutely against having anything to do with South Africa during apartheid but they see nothing wrong with normalizing relations with Cuba. The oppressive dictatorship there being a left wing rather than right wing government is purely coincidental, I'm sure.

Hyperbole much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 07:37 AM

1,204 posts, read 872,320 times
In the 70s through the 90s, it was repeatedly stated, by both sides of the aisle, that if we can interject our thoughts, way of life etc., into these "communist" countries we will ultimately win.

If you look at most of the former Soviet bloc, China, and VietNam we are seeing this.

What happened to that philosophy?

Old 02-03-2015, 07:45 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
In the 70s through the 90s, it was repeatedly stated, by both sides of the aisle, that if we can interject our thoughts, way of life etc., into these "communist" countries we will ultimately win.

If you look at most of the former Soviet bloc, China, and VietNam we are seeing this.

What happened to that philosophy?
The last vestige of the cold war mentality and the Cuban anti-Castro lobby...who will be left to call "commie bastards"? I mean, everything we buy is made in China, and one of our main middle Eastern allies is Saudi Arabia, a dictatorship and hot bed of anti-American terrorism, yet you can't take a trip to a country 90 miles away that poses no threat.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
What about all the Commies down there?

Old 02-03-2015, 01:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
They bothering you?

Seems to me that they're minding their own business.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Sounds good, but I'm pessimistic that'll pass.
Senators introduce bill allowing free travel to Cuba
Wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

It's on my list of future travel destinations.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:22 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Good, maybe now the coddled domestic terrorists in S. Florida (sorry, "Los Exilios") will give it a rest.

Miami's Domestic Terrorism: Aircharter ‘Queen’ Finds Arranging Trips To Cuba Is Risky Business
The offices of an airline charter company in Miami torched because it flew pilgrims to Cuba.

The Macho Violence of the Cuban Exiles
You can disagree with violent anti-Castro dogma, but such dissent could also get you killed.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:21 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,539,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If you follow what's been going on there the last 10 years or so....they've been pounding their sickles and hammers into dollar signs.

Just like China and Russia did.

Now sure, it's still not a democracy but things are moving in the right direction and we do lots of trade with countries like China and Saudi Arabia.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,524,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It isn't meant to be anything. Your condescension aside, most people with half a brain realize that tourism generates economic activity.
Exactly. That's what makes it a truism. I asked you if you meant it that way. I was expecting you to make a point, but you say it wasn't meant to be anything. Sorry you took offense.

Quote:
In other words, you have nothing to say.
Incorrect. I said what I had to say. Reading the twisted logic in your post reminded me of an episode of Glenn Beck, when he tied statues at Rockefeller Center to commies in the USA. It was entertaining.

Quote:
Typical leftist who thinks he can substitute condescension for actually having a response. Maybe someday you'll come up with an actual point to make, but I won't be holding my breath.
Typical. That part you got right. Here's a clue: Just because someone calls you, even with ridicule, does not make one a leftist. I must have flunked the course. I won't bother going over my voting history; typically, you'll just refuse to believe it, like the others here who know me better than I do. I did rip a chapter out of the leftists manual, though. The one that says I can't own a gun or ride a Harley. I guess I'm a Joni Ernst kinda leftist.

(I voted for Dole. Get more Bob Doles and less Ted Cruzes. I might vote R again.)

Last edited by nvxplorer; 02-04-2015 at 12:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies