Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 02:14 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68551 View Post
The social problems this country just continue to degrade as anything and everything is ok. If everyone stood up for right from wrong maybe our society wouldn't be so messed up. Being more liberal never solved anything and removes barrier after barrier that continues our downward spiral
When a barrier is removed due to common sense, NO ONE is forced to cross the territory it formerly occupied. The only thing being more controlling ever did was foment revolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yep; all we need to have more Zombies running around. Alcohol problems in society are bad enough. This is like adding gas to the fire. its likie thinking you solve murder problem by making it legal.
Well, making it illegal sure as hell hasn't solved it, eh?

Old 06-13-2015, 02:19 PM

Prostitution is already de facto legal in DC. Lobbyists are the Johns and Congress the bordello.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Illicit narcotic drugs... evil.. lets see.. let me count the ways...

One.. the stupefy you

Two... they reduce motivation or kill it all together

Three ... they are addictive on some level.. from mild to severe

Four.... they all damage the body to some extent.. and please... dont tell us smoking weed cures respiratory problems

Five... they make you essentially "dumber"... in the case of MJ it can permanently stunt developing minds

Six.... they do not increase a persons contribution to the world around them.. their use is hedonistic and wholly selfish

Seven.. they are illegal and potentially subject the user to criminal penalties

Eight... they increase DUI ,, in the case of where I live over half of the DUI arrest respondents now self report MJ and alcohol use.. this is a tenfold increase in three years and has to do with the proliferation and abuse of medical marijuana
And all 8 reasons are also attributes of a number of licit prescription drugs, the only difference between the licit and the illicit being the deep pockets of the BigPharma lobby.

Old 06-13-2015, 02:43 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Pot, I probably would not vote to legalize it but I wouldn't be upset if it becomes legal or certainly decrimalized. I do think, with the strength of the new pot, compared to years ago, more damage can be done than many realize and I have a family member who has pretty much messed himself up with too much pot.

Other drugs, absolutely no. OK, we already have alcohol which I do use. It ruins many families and we don't need another drug to do the same. There is no good arguments in favor of legalizing strong drugs.

As for prostitution: yes, it is immoral,but being immoral doesn't mean it should not be legalized. There are a lot of things that are immoral that are also legal.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
'Harmless' is not currently one of the criteria for legality. If it was, alcohol, tobacco, and a good number of prescription drugs would be illegal.
And knives and fishing hooks and cars and motorcycles and swimming pools.......

Old 06-13-2015, 03:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Other drugs, absolutely no. OK, we already have alcohol which I do use. It ruins many families and we don't need another drug to do the same. There is no good arguments in favor of legalizing strong drugs.
Not true at all. There are lots of reasons all drugs should be legal. Here is one;

We believe that drug prohibition is the true cause of much of the social and personal damage that has historically been attributed to drug use. It is prohibition that makes these drugs so valuable – while giving criminals a monopoly over their supply. Driven by the huge profits from this monopoly, criminal gangs bribe and kill each other, law enforcers, and children. Their trade is unregulated and they are, therefore, beyond our control.

History has shown that drug prohibition reduces neither use nor abuse.

Why Legalize Drugs? | LEAP

Quote:
As for prostitution: yes, it is immoral,but being immoral doesn't mean it should not be legalized. There are a lot of things that are immoral that are also legal.
It is immoral for you, but it might not be for others. And we don't need government defining what is moral and immoral.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:18 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Other drugs, absolutely no. OK, we already have alcohol which I do use. It ruins many families and we don't need another drug to do the same.
Other drugs ruin families just the same even being illegal. Criminalization doesn't in any way reduce usage.

Quote:
There is no good arguments in favor of legalizing strong drugs.
All prohibition does is create a violent criminal empire around the sale and use of drugs and fill up prisons. It doesn't stop people from using those drugs. If we decriminalize, we would get rid of the violence, and be able to focus efforts on treating drug addiction instead of throwing people in jail.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:35 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
'Harmless' is not currently one of the criteria for legality. If it was, alcohol, tobacco, and a good number of prescription drugs would be illegal.
This then begs the question: what is the criteria for being illegal?

It's an important one because I don't think I know the answer. There's an answer that I think could be true, which is that the government selectively bans things that they feel 'threatened' by, which I hope is not the case. But I can't really think of any other sensible reason...

Old 06-13-2015, 06:13 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
yes/yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies