Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 07:58 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,524,200 times

Advertisements

In the news is applause for humanely killing animals, including chickens yet we can't figure out how to impose the death penalty without all kinds of inhumane treatment claims? They put chickens in a box, put them to sleep with Co2 and then kill them. No pain. So what is the huge problem in figuring out how to execute someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 08:08 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,535,789 times
Firing squads may seem barbaric to some, but bullets to the head are probably the most humane method of execution.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:11 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
In the news is applause for humanely killing animals, including chickens yet we can't figure out how to impose the death penalty without all kinds of inhumane treatment claims? They put chickens in a box, put them to sleep with Co2 and then kill them. No pain. So what is the huge problem in figuring out how to execute someone?
We view humans differently than we view animals. Rather or not that's the right thing to do, it's how we've always been. Even those of us who do believe that humans are a part of nature (as opposed to a more traditional view that states humans are separate from nature) still view humans as being different and deserving of different rights than animals.

Humans, as far as we can tell, are the only species that think about right and wrong with the level of depth that we do. It stands to reason that humans will get different treatment than animals, particularly animals that are not as intelligent. Dolphins and elephants probably deserve more rights than deer, being noticeably more sophisticated than deer as a species.

This in mind, some view execution as immoral. While many justify killing animals in this way because they are eaten and serve a purpose, some view execution as being immoral treatment of another human being.

I personally am not 100% against execution. I go back and forth on this a lot since it is a complicated issue, though I think it should be reserved for those who can clearly not be rehabilitated, and the execution itself should be quick and painless, as well as cheap. Hanging is fine by me. Shoot them in the head if you'd rather (though some want an open casket funeral, so that's not always an option). But, as I said, only reserved for crimes so extreme or for those who cannot 'be saved.'

Personally, I believe prison should be reserved for murderers, rapists (or sexual assault), and thieves, and no sentence should last more than 25 years. The way I see it, if a person can spend two and a half decades in prison (assuming the prison is used to properly rehabilitated inmates) and still be a threat after release, then keeping them alive is cruel and unusual punishment for both the prisoner and those he/she interacts with. So, an example would be the man who shot up that theater in Colorado. He's likely going to be sentenced to life in prison because he will be viewed as a constant threat to society. Unless psychological evaluation suggests he could in fact be rehabilitated, I'd say executing him would actually be the right thing to do. Life in prison is no life at all. Why force a man to live out the remaining years of his life in a cell?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:27 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,390,003 times
Quote:
Because people keep messing with it. Take someone that did something horrendous, killing them by putting dirt on them. That person died a botched execution. Now did the people setting up the death machine do it correctly? I can't guaranty it.

Nitrogen gas. No pain dead as a door nail.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,492,377 times
Quote:
Thanks to your inquiry I actually looked up cattle guns and nitrogen asphyxiation. I don't have a great answer to your question but I did get a quick 'education' on the subject.

[firing squad seems best to me]

Old 02-02-2015, 08:35 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,390,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
[firing squad seems best to me]
Chopping their heads off has its merits too.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:41 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:

A 10¢ 30 cal. projectile is cheaper and fastest.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:51 PM

1,994 posts, read 1,524,200 times
Yup, the question of death penalties really has nothing to do with this as it is a question of method and why with all the technology and science available, can we kill animals humanely enough that even PETA approves but we can't impose death on a human without all kinds of complications. I mean, how often have we heard that someone died and felt no pain (accident) but we can't kill a criminal with the same result?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Chopping their heads off has its merits too.

The guillotine, on the town square at noon, on Saturdays! I have the Popcorn vendors license.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:58 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,101,409 times
Quote:
Yup, the question of death penalties really has nothing to do with this as it is a question of method and why with all the technology and science available, can we kill animals humanely enough that even PETA approves but we can't impose death on a human without all kinds of complications. I mean, how often have we heard that someone died and felt no pain (accident) but we can't kill a criminal with the same result?
I did my best to answer this. We view humans differently.

Lethal injection is often considered the humane method. That seems to not be the case. While it can be painless, it is technically a slow death, and its happened before that person dying was in severe pain.

Shooting someone in the head or cutting their head of is both quick and painless. It's also very cheap. The main argument against it is for the families of the prisoner wanting have an open casket funeral. Not really a thing you can do if the head's been removed or there's a bullet hole through it.

This is why so many are in favor of lethal injection. It leaves no visible marks. Personally, I think killing someone with poison is less human than just shooting them. That's at least a somewhat honorable death that is quick, painless, and without suspense (or at least added suspense).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies