Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 03:33 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wouldn't work at my place.

No one can open the safes but me and I sure as heck wouldn't leave a loaded .45 laying around.

People are a little smarter about guns than 50+ years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 03:42 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My only experience with a gun safe is my brother in law. I asked his 30 year old daughter if she ever snuck into the safe when no adults were home. She said, "Oh yeah". As kids we used to get into the gun cabinet on a regular basis and my father kept a loaded 45 in his bedside table.
In order for a safe to be effective, it must be locked shut.

If your father left a loaded 45 in his bedside table with children in the house, I'd say your father was a fool. Not all of the gun owning population are fools.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:05 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky4life View Post
This is true. When I lived in Texas, a class was required; however, her in Washington state, all it takes is a small fee, 5 minutes worth of paperwork, and a short waiting period to get a CCW permit. For someone like myself that's been around guns their whole life, it's no big deal, but for some 21 year old kid that's never even shot a gun to get one in such a manner is absolutely ludicrous, and I see it all the time. You will see these people that already have their permits at the pawn shop purchasing their first gun, which always seems to be some POS $150 throw away.

WA is also an open carry state, which is another thing that I don't believe any idiot that's old enough to purchase a gun should be able to do without proof of safety knowledge, marksmanship, and an understanding of gun laws in the state.
I'll go along with the proficiency requirements. NV is a very carry friendly state, but its a little harder, than what you describe, to get your permit. Open carry, that's different, its just strap and go, but, I don't see that many people doing it. I have come across a couple people who I had to wonder how they passed the range time part of their course. They weren't confrontational types, quite the opposite, but their weapons handling skills bordered on ineptness.

Our competition club has a rule, that all LE, armed security and CCW holders must compete at "B" level or above, as the assumption( which has shown to be a bit much to ask in a couple cases) is, if you carry a gun for a living, or to protect yourself, that level is bare minimum. Three cops, and one CCW holder, couldn't cut it at "B". "C" is for youth and rank beginners.

We let them compete, under constant, RO supervision, but, we wouldn't let them trophy. There is merit in what you're saying, and I can't , honeltly say, I've never seen such a case. We discussed these four cases, in depth, at our after match run down. The LEOs, in particular, bothered us, as they were argumentative about not being able to trophy, and with being dropped to the lower class. As it turned out, they wouldn't have placed anyway. "Trained" police officers, annihilated in competition, by 12 yo kids. None of them has returned, but the CCW guy is now competing at "A" class, and doing well. Thats one saved, anyway, who kept the right attitude. The cops weren't nasty about it. But they were, obviously, embarrassed.

So, I don't have any issue conceding to what you're saying. Carrying a weapon should go hand in hand with proficiency with that weapon, and a willingness to take constructive critisism from superior experience and ability , as well.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
There will be very little guess work or speculation for the bad guys if you're giving out this much information (starting with you own a gun and leave it in your house when you're not home) in real life.
Well, dang, maybe I can figure something out.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'll go along with the proficiency requirements. NV is a very carry friendly state, but its a little harder, than what you describe, to get your permit. Open carry, that's different, its just strap and go, but, I don't see that many people doing it. I have come across a couple people who I had to wonder how they passed the range time part of their course. They weren't confrontational types, quite the opposite, but their weapons handling skills bordered on ineptness.

Our competition club has a rule, that all LE, armed security and CCW holders must compete at "B" level or above, as the assumption( which has shown to be a bit much to ask in a couple cases) is, if you carry a gun for a living, or to protect yourself, that level is bare minimum. Three cops, and one CCW holder, couldn't cut it at "B". "C" is for youth and rank beginners.

We let them compete, under constant, RO supervision, but, we wouldn't let them trophy. There is merit in what you're saying, and I can't , honeltly say, I've never seen such a case. We discussed these four cases, in depth, at our after match run down. The LEOs, in particular, bothered us, as they were argumentative about not being able to trophy, and with being dropped to the lower class. As it turned out, they wouldn't have placed anyway. "Trained" police officers, annihilated in competition, by 12 yo kids. None of them has returned, but the CCW guy is now competing at "A" class, and doing well. Thats one saved, anyway, who kept the right attitude. The cops weren't nasty about it. But they were, obviously, embarrassed.

So, I don't have any issue conceding to what you're saying. Carrying a weapon should go hand in hand with proficiency with that weapon, and a willingness to take constructive critisism from superior experience and ability , as well.
We have Leo's that could only classify at the novice level. It turns out the department only makes them qualify once a year.

Last edited by Orlandochuck1; 02-04-2015 at 07:08 PM..

Old 02-04-2015, 06:58 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I have no problem with that.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:19 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
We have Leo's that could only classify at the novice level. It turns out the department only makes them qualify once a year.
Its the same here, with the larger, metro area agencies. RPD and Washoe county. The smaller, rural depts actually have way more , regular, shooters on duty. but, that is, slowly but steadily, changing as more and more displaced urban cops from metro areas, mainly from CA, are being hired on.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:37 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
=lucky4life;38298445]I'm from South Texas, and you couldn't be any further from the truth.
Where in South Texas were you from and how long did you live there? In other words, when did you move from south Texas to Washington state? Were your parents in the military or something? Or did you just strike out on your own?

Quote:
As a collective whole, I would say that people in the Pacific Northwest are more knowledgeable about firearms than than those residing in the state of Texas.
And what is your basis for saying so? Maybe they are and maybe they aren't, I am just asking about your own credentials for making this analysis...? Can you provide that? What is telling on your part (IMHO), is that you argue about it so much, when you don't really, really, back it up...

Quote:
Texas has far more urban areas than the northwest despite what people seem to believe. I will say that Texas has far better laws in regards to concealed carry, as one at least has to take a class and prove themselves to be competent to have the right to concealed Cary. Open Cary laws are Identical between WA and TX.
I appreciate your point.. but there is no "open carry" law in Texas (unfortunately) so what are you talking about? But, really, it comes back to that I am simply asking...?

Quote:
You need to travel more. Eastern WA is far more conservative than any part of TX.
To tell you the truth, I don't need -- nor care to -- to travel to Washington state. On the other hand? Why did you feel the repeat the above, perhaps so, perhaps not..but the natural question comes up is what is the "standard" you are using to as which state is more "conservative" ?? Or move to Washington state?

So far as it all goes? Is it a voting pattern you are referring to? Is it a general policy that goes against the general thrust of the state itself? If not, what is it that is the formulation of your opinion?

Finally? Guess what? Again, there is no statistic figure that matters a damn if your life depends on it. If you want to place your life on the line or those who might depend on you to protect them, then I feel sorry for those who might depend on you because you make your decision on some "statistic." Tell that shlit to your own conscience when you might have to think about it all...

Old 02-05-2015, 08:28 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm not interested in prohibition and no, it doesn't work.

But yeah, we've made lots of progress with things like drunk driving. No prohibition was required -- cars, drinking and alcoholic beverages are still totally legal.

I don't know the stats on texting-while-driving but for myself and people I know there's a MUCH heightened awareness of the danger of doing this. I absolutely do not do it and know many others who feel the same way.

It's about creating and reinforcing safer attitudes and behaviors. What's the objection to that?
"I'm not interested in prohibition"

Who cares what YOU are interested in.

The facts ARE they passed a CONSTITUTIONAL Amendment to outlaw alcohol AND Americans CONTINUED TO DRINK. So much so they passed ANOTHER Amnedent reversing the first.

"we've made lots of progress with things like drunk driving. No prohibition was required"

No prohibition but, they have continually tinkered with the blood alcohol content.

"there's a MUCH heightened awareness of the danger of doing this."

I don't know about that. I see people, mostly women and teenagers doing it all the time.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:40 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The Brits have found gun control laws to be very effective at reducing murders.
"data out from the UK, where guns are banned, shows gun crime has soared by 35 percent."
Gun Crime Soars in England Where Guns Are Banned - Katie Pavlich

I don't think the picture is as rosy as you think.

Murders in the UK

And ALL this WHILE GUNS ARE BANNED. Shouldn't the number of crimes commuted with a gun be ZERO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies