Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 11:20 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Then there should be no discrimination laws involved luxury products and services that cater or give a customer free reign to their specifications. I don't give a rat's behind about the law. It needs to be repealed. If i owned a business, I shouldn't be forced and punished for not wanting to do something I find offensive.
Then don't own a business and deal with the public . The law will never be repealed and likely will be emulated in other states in the next 10-15 years. This is just a reality that you are going to have to get used to.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:21 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Then there should be no discrimination laws involved luxury products and services that cater or give a customer free reign to their specifications. I don't give a rat's behind about the law. It needs to be repealed. If i owned a business, I shouldn't be forced and punished for not wanting to do something I find offensive.
how hard is it to understand...obviously difficult for you. you do not request an item from a retail store they don't provide. you don't walk in to a clothing store that sells dresses and ask for a pair of shoes. you go to a cake store for a cake. if you are in the business of making custom cakes then you serve all the public not just the ones you approve of. otherwise go into a different line of work if you don't like your customers.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:29 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
how hard is it to understand...obviously difficult for you. you do not request an item from a retail store they don't provide. you don't walk in to a clothing store that sells dresses and ask for a pair of shoes. you go to a cake store for a cake. if you are in the business of making custom cakes then you serve all the public not just the ones you approve of. otherwise go into a different line of work if you don't like your customers.
Eye rolling, condescending remarks, yep typical from your side.

It's sad that your side just can't examine both sides of the situation and keep throwing brick wall responses like "hey don't like it, don't get a business!!"

But here's is the chilling take away. Ok, so they violated the Oregon discrimination law. In exchange for politing refusing service on MORAL grounds, this couple has been harrassed, lost their business and now have to pay a ridiculous amount of $150,000. Don't you at least find that a tad bit excessive?

But the attitude I get it, nope they're bigots. They deserve it. It makes me wonder if the government passed a law putting this couple in prison for their beliefs, would the response be the same?

Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Ok, can you give a moment just put aside your "it's the law" comeback and examine this hypothetical situation? Let's pretend they are a protected class. Does it morally seem right to force the baker to provide service now?
If the baker makes and sells the same cake to someone else then they should be willing to sell it to the KKK guys.
If the baker does not make and sell the cake to anyone then they should not have to sell it to the KKK guys.

Example:

Baker makes blue cakes with balloons on it, but does not make red cakes with stripes. The bakes should be required to sell the blue cake with balloons to any customer who enters the bakery. But the baker should not be required to make the red cake for anyone because they do not offer red cakes with stripes.

If the baker makes and sell white multi tiered cakes with sugar flowers they should be required to sell that cake to anyone who wants to purchase one. If the baker does not offer specific decorations or toppers they should not be required to sell cakes with that particular decoration or topper to anyone.

So if the KKK guys look through the bakers book and pick out a cake that the baker makes, then the baker should be require to sell that cake to them. If the KKK guys want a cake that the baker does not offer then they baker should not be required to make it.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
The baker didn't refuse to sell the cake because the person was gay.
That's EXACTLY what the baker did. Had the customers been straight, then the bakery would have sold them the wedding cake. Same exact product (a wedding cake): straight person = sale / gay person = no sale. The baker refused to sell the cake precisely because the person was gay.

Quote:
They didn't want their business to participate in a ceremony that goes against their moral beliefs.
Participate in a ceremony? What are you talking about?

Quote:
BIG difference. Your analogy doesn't match what is going on with the baker.
My analogy matches EXACTLY what went on in that bakery. All I did was replace "wedding cake" with "Mardi Gras statue".

Quote:
Mine does because the wood carver doesn't normally make Mardi Gras statues. That would be forcing him or her into a morally conflicting situation.
Your analogy doesn't match at all. In your analogy the carver doesn't make Mardi Gras statues - that's not a product he sells. In this actual case, the bakery DOES make wedding cakes. That's its business.

Your refined hypo is totally fine. If the woodcarver won't carve any Mardi Gras themed statute, then he doesn't have to. That's not a product he offers. But if he carves Mardi Gras statues for straight people, then has can't refuse to carve a Mardi Gras statue for a person because that person is gay.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Then don't own a business and deal with the public . The law will never be repealed and likely will be emulated in other states in the next 10-15 years. This is just a reality that you are going to have to get used to.
It's a reality that will destroy America. RIP. Thanks for that.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Umm no. They wanted a custom cake designed for them uniquely. If the bakery was refusing to sell donuts to gay people then you got a point. Same indentical product. It's no different than forcing a wood carver to create a wooden statue depicting a sex act for Mardi Gras or something. Refuse to do it and it's discrimination? What if it was someone wanting an ISIS themed cake? Should the baker still be forced to do it?
Um, no. They were refused service BEFORE they even discussed the design of the cake. So the decorations on the cake were not the reason they were refused service, in fact the baker said that they would not make ANY wedding cake for homosexuals. That is in violation of the laws in the state they opened their business in.

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Eye rolling, condescending remarks, yep typical from your side.

It's sad that your side just can't examine both sides of the situation and keep throwing brick wall responses like "hey don't like it, don't get a business!!"

But here's is the chilling take away. Ok, so they violated the Oregon discrimination law. In exchange for politing refusing service on MORAL grounds, this couple has been harrassed, lost their business and now have to pay a ridiculous amount of $150,000. Don't you at least find that a tad bit excessive?

But the attitude I get it, nope they're bigots. They deserve it. It makes me wonder if the government passed a law putting this couple in prison for their beliefs, would the response be the same?
They don't have to pay it because the fine has not even been set. $150,000 is just the top tier of what they MIGHT have to pay. It's likely going to be less, and likely cut further by a trial judge.

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
and now have to pay a ridiculous amount of $150,000. Don't you at least find that a tad bit excessive?
Let's not make up facts. They haven't been ordered to pay anything yet. The COULD be ordered to pay up to 150K. It's highly unlikely it will be anywhere near that amount.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
That's EXACTLY what the baker did. Had the customers been straight, then the bakery would have sold them the wedding cake. Same exact product (a wedding cake): straight person = sale / gay person = no sale. The baker refused to sell the cake precisely because the person was gay.

Wrong:

Quote:

Sweet Cakes' owners argued that they did not deny service due to the sexual orientation of the couple, noting that they had previously baked a cake for one of the women who had been a customer on a separate occasion.

Due to intense pressure from LGBT activists, Sweet Cakes closed its doors in the summer of 2013, with Aaron describing the activism as "economic terrorism."

Christian Couple Forced to Close Bakery Due to Gay Activism May Face Over $150K in Damages

Now why would they do that if the issue was only about their sexual orientation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies