Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,049,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I understand it perfectly, picking out a specific class of people and giving them special protections.

You just said a member of the KKK is not a protected class so the baker could refuse to bake their cake, because they are not protected class.

It's you who cannot seem to comprehend what you've just said.
How can you folks possibly be this obtuse?

In states where sexual orientation is a protected class, everyone is legally protected against discrimination based upon sexual orientation. This means that heterosexuals cannot be discriminated against due to their sexual orientation. In other words, a homosexual baker cannot refuse to make a cake for a heterosexual couple if they do make cakes for homosexual couples.

A baker can refuse to bake a cake for a KKK member, if that refusal is unrelated to that KKK member's inclusion within a protected class. For example, "people who wear pointy white clown suits", "people who burn down churches", "people who teach their children to hate other human beings"---none of these constitute a protected class. Therefore, the baker can choose to deny servicing these individuals for any of those reasons.

On the other hand, if the baker refuses to bake a cake for a KKK member because she is female, or because they are receiving public assistance, or because they are a homosexual (you all know who you are!). Then, the baker is guilty of violating anti-discrimination laws because each of these groups is a protected class.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:50 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
... because being gay is a protected class.
Quote:
The phrase protected class flies in the face of what you just said.
You clearly have no idea what a protected class is. Gay is not a protected class - sexual orientation is a protected class. Everybody is protected under that (and every) class because everyone has a sexual orientation. Just like a baker can't discriminate against gay people, a baker can't discriminate against straight people.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:52 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,728,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Big fat lie, the baker refused to sell them a cake because of their sexual orientation, they were not asked to attend any wedding or participate in any ceremony and their morals have nothing to do with baking a cake.
How is it a lie? I quote from a news source where they said these lesbians were customers and they sold goods to them before. If the issue was solely about their sexual orientation, they would have not sold ANY goods to them. Your side is just so pathetically and desperately trying to demonize hard working people who have strong moral beliefs.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:54 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I read the article and it seems to me the rights of the Bakery have been abused in forcing to go against their Religious Beliefs. It would be interesting if That same bakery could sue the State of Oregon and the Happily couple over the US Constructional Religious right.

If I was in the shoes of the Couple, I am not sure if I would like a cake from a business that would opt out of a piece of business.

Any business can refuse service if they ore uncomfortable with the client. It will get to a point where business will consider such a piece of business and then turn to the Gay Inquirer, we can not support that business and unable to deliver, because of over booking. PERIOD!

Anther Example of Radicle Gays forcing their (less than Moral) Life style on other people. I am sure there in more than one bakery in the entire State of Oregon. I wish the Gay Community would respect the rights of other people!
In other words, you want gays to just shut up and go elsewhere. What rights are people not having respected? Discriminating is not a right and why is it that gays are not moral for just being gay, yet many christians divorce, gamble, cheat, lie and steal and claim to be moral? Who made you the morality cop? How does ones religious beliefs come in to play in operating a business wether it be a bakery or a barber? It is the baker using his/her religous beliefs to condemn and judge gays and deny them the same service that would be provided for a twice married straight couple. The bakery is not a church, it is not protected under religious freedoms. And what the heck is a US Constructional Religious right? Something to do with lumber or nails?

Old 02-04-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
This about the rights of the Business Owners. Not only choose whom they want to do business with , but this turns in a US Constitutional Issue. For those of you have forgotten your US Constitution and American History in HS.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

This has nothing to do with beings "Bigot" . What about the Rights of the Bakery??????

I guess some of you don not care about that!
The bakery does not have rights, the baker does, but the right to use ones religion to discriminate does not exist, not for the baker, the butcher, the barber and so on. Freedom of religion is not freedom to discriminate

Old 02-04-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I am demonstrating that this issue is not single sided and People of Faith are getting their Rights trumped on. Plus I will do business with any I choose to. Business goes both ways.
Its has to be good for the Business as well as the Customer.
Yet anther attempt to sue for acceptance by the Gay Community.:thin k:
What rights are being trumped on? There is no right for anyone of any religion to use their religion to discriminate in the operation of their business, a church yes, but not in business.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
This law is Unconstitutional, because it goes against the Freedom of Religion. which is in direct conflict with this Oregon Law. Where is DOJ defending the Constitution and Rights of the Business.

The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.
Freedom of religion does not trump the laws that govern business, no matter what business it is. Freedom of religion does not give one the right to discriminate.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
And while I agree to a point, at the same time, is denying this service actually a religious right? While the Bible condemns homosexuality, and I think anyone who chooses to go along with that view for religious reasons should have that right, what exactly does it say about refusal to service? I'm no expert on Christianity, but I do know that Jesus wasn't known for turning sinners away. Jesus made it pretty clear, only he (and his dad, who is also him or something) can judge people. So, are these bakers really following their faith by denying service for reasons that they themselves decided were worthy. The lord did not give those bakers the right to decide who can and cannot get married. Why are the bakers taking on a responsibility that is not theirs?
But, The believer is required to not in gage in Sin or supporter Sin either . Bear in mind, Christians will treat that same people who have fallen to be prayed for so they can walk away from sin. There is no judgment just the perception of a downward life style and the soul crying out for help!

All of us have fallen short so do not get me wrong. But we can strive to help others from Supporting Marriage, taking care of the poor and a host of important issues that face all of us everyday.

I hope you understand now.

Yes If there was not people needing spiritual help, the Church would not be in business.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:09 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Freedom of religion does not trump the laws that govern business, no matter what business it is. Freedom of religion does not give one the right to discriminate.
But is the Oregon Law Discriminating against Christian Business? Is the Law proving more protection over a group of people , than regular law abiding citizens.

Where is the Civil rights people when it comes to people of belief.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Which law trumps the 1st amendment?

The gay-scam can be lucrative, but lets not preteded we didn't see this coming. There were reasons why people opposed the gay agenda.
Answer this Finn, what law does the 1st trump? I always notice that it is the "Christians" that want to discriminate. Why do you guys want to discriminate? Does it somehow make you feel superior, better then everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies