Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Your question is a two-edge sword, and the answer is YES? See...if ACORN, Planned Perenthood, and a whole bunch of political organizations are "tax-exempt," why not religious organizations?
Tax-exempt political organizations are not allowed to make endorsements in elections - this is why the ACLU renounced tax-exempt status.

The same should be enforced with regard to tax-exempt religious organizations. For example the Church of Latter Day Saints making endorsements on ballot measures in California should result in their tax exemption revoked and be reclassified as a business. That would do a great deal towards easing California's fiscal crisis. If the Mormon Church is going to act like a business they should be treated as one. (Although knowing the LDS hierarchy, if this were to happen they'd recharter the Church as a bank in order to get TARP funds....)

And yes, take away Scientology's tax exempt status because it is more of a criminal organization than a religious organization. CA and FL would both benefit from the taxation of Scientology. I myself would go further than taxing it, if I had a say in such things Scientology would be tried under RICO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,157,266 times
I look at it this way, if a church, organization r any kind of club/group wants to be tax exempt, then they should not be allowed to have any part whatsoever in any political process.

if they do participate at all in any political process then they should pay taxes in their entirety.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,971,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Religion today is more of a business than anything else. Having them tax-exempt lets them build gigantic castles and their successful priests driving jaguars. Should we retain this tax-exempt status? It clearly is not the religion of old, more money is spent for lavish and expensive things than anything. New religions like scientology is a basically a tax shelter used by wealthy celebrities and athletes... Can I start my own religion and protect all my assets? I don't believe religions need or deserve tax exemption..
Most churches I have been to are not lavish temples that operate like a business. Most churches bring in just enough money to pay the bills and if there are any funds left over, it is usually to fund missions and services for the poor. They are non-profit organizations that do lots of good within their community.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:11 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,466,323 times
Definitely NOT!!!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KantLockeMeIn View Post
If you are a pastor/preacher/priest/minister/etc and object to social security on religious grounds, you can even be exempt from that! It's time to hop on that bus...
All of us should be protesting Social Security as it is a ponzi scheme ran by our government.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Tax the churches.
They tend to put their 2 cents into political discussions and void any charter with the state.
So religious folks waive their rights to participate in the political process because they are affiliated with a church?

Old 06-07-2009, 07:36 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,402,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I look at it this way, if a church, organization r any kind of club/group wants to be tax exempt, then they should not be allowed to have any part whatsoever in any political process.

if they do participate at all in any political process then they should pay taxes in their entirety.
Like ACORN?

Old 06-07-2009, 08:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,157,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Like ACORN?

including acorn, and any other tax exempt organization.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,404,069 times
Quote:
Should Religion be Tax-Exempt?
No.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:12 AM

20,266 posts, read 36,992,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Tax-exempt political organizations are not allowed to make endorsements in elections - this is why the ACLU renounced tax-exempt status.

The same should be enforced with regard to tax-exempt religious organizations. For example the Church of Latter Day Saints making endorsements on ballot measures in California should result in their tax exemption revoked and be reclassified as a business. That would do a great deal towards easing California's fiscal crisis. If the Mormon Church is going to act like a business they should be treated as one. (Although knowing the LDS hierarchy, if this were to happen they'd recharter the Church as a bank in order to get TARP funds....)

And yes, take away Scientology's tax exempt status because it is more of a criminal organization than a religious organization. CA and FL would both benefit from the taxation of Scientology. I myself would go further than taxing it, if I had a say in such things Scientology would be tried under RICO.
The problem is as follows: under the law, churches have as much right as ACORN, Moveon.org, Planned Pernthood, The Boy and Girl Scouts of America, and a whole bunch of other organizations, to be "tax-exempt." Take it from a church, and open the door to take it from all those other organizations just the same.

That's why I said that it's a 2-edge sword.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies