Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:51 PM

66 posts, read 81,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat007 View Post
So did the US actually land on the moon? or did Stanley Kubrick film the whole thing ?
There are laser targets on the moon that we left when we visited... We use them today in laser ranging expiriments. Anyone who believes we can keep that kind of conspiracy involving that many people secret in America isn't really paying attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No need to play the silly "america love it or leave it" game.

Taiwan is not a free nation, as I recall. I was there not 3 months ago and got a Chinese stamp in my passport.

So, tell me about your close encounters in the Gulf of Tonkin. As a result of this lie, over 50,000 American military members died, not to mention countless Vietnamese.
I wasn't playing the silly love it or leave it game I was making a point that while our system is nowhere near perfect (no system will ever be perfect because man is pretty corrupt) it's much better than the alternative. People (and I guess by people I mean left wing revisionist propoganda mongers in this instance) on this forum have stated that China isn't communist (among numerous other ludicrous assertions) and yet currently people are being arrested for things like blogging. China is cracking down on any form of dissidence in anticipation of the Olympics.

I wasn't in the gulf of tonkin although I'm wondering if you were. I don't know what happened for sure and it would not surprise me to find out that some or all of it was made up. I'm not so foolish as to believe that my government always tells the truth. I totally believe that in order to pursue foreign policies they deem the best course any particular administration massages the information to curry public support. That's our reality I'm afraid. Vietnam and Korea were both about confronting the expansion of communism. The stated agenda of the soviet union was to spread communism through out the entire world. That means that they were openly advocating the destruction of all democracies/republics in the world. In case you're not following along that would include the United States and all it's allies.

Unfortunately the time to act is not when the wolf is kicking in your door. It takes intestinal fortitude and the willingness to make hard choices to keep people from taking your freedom away. Someone always has to step up and toe the line in order to prevent evil from spreading. There's a famous quote from edmund burke I believe and goes something like this "all that's required for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing". I can give you thousands of examples that this is exactly the way the world works.

We recently shot down a satellite falling to earth and the news was full of speculation as to why we were doing so. Does it really matter? Would you think it was more useful for America to actually have to announce some state secret or serve up a plausible explanation to keep our military and state secrets secret?

Taiwan(ROC) certainly is a free nation. There's political pressure from China(PRC) on other governments to not officially recognize them as a nation but in every real sense they are a self governing entity with their own economy, laws, military and government. LMAO at the stamp in your passport was from China. I'm pretty sure it wasn't from the Peoples Republic of China so try and educate yourself before you present uneducated misinformation as fact.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:54 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,375,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbo View Post
Taiwan(ROC) certainly is a free nation. There's political pressure from China(PRC) on other governments to not officially recognize them as a nation but in every real sense they are a self governing entity with their own economy, laws, military and government. LMAO at the stamp in your passport was from China. I'm pretty sure it wasn't from the Peoples Republic of China so try and educate yourself before you present uneducated misinformation as fact.
How could you post "Taiwan (ROC)" and still claim it is a free nation? Are you not aware that ROC means "Republic Of China?" That alone should have told you that Taiwan was part of China, and not a free and independent nation.

Taiwan has not declared its independence from China, nor as any nation recognized Taiwan's independence from China. If I were you, I wouldn't be advising others to get educated until you have done so yourself.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
How could you post "Taiwan (ROC)" and still claim it is a free nation? Are you not aware that ROC means "Republic Of China?" That alone should have told you that Taiwan was part of China, and not a free and independent nation.

Taiwan has not declared its independence from China, nor as any nation recognized Taiwan's independence from China. If I were you, I wouldn't be advising others to get educated until you have done so yourself.
Are you being serious? Republic of China is not the same government or geography as People's Republic of China... Just because the word China is in both names don't confuse yourself with the idea that they are the same thing. Does the governor of North Carolina make the decisions for South Carolina? I guess by your logic the word Carolina should have told me that they were one in the same.

China (PRC/communist china) calls Taiwan Chinese Taipei and yet, THERE ARE NO PRC troops in Taiwan. Is there any state in America with no military presence? Is there any place in America where the FBI can't arrest you? There are many anti Chinese Internet sites in Taiwan. If you do that in the PRC they can and do arrest you. Please explain how Taiwan has a democratically elected president. They don't pay taxes to mainland China(PRC), they don't answer to the govt or military of China(PRC) in what way exactly would you suppose they aren't a free nation? Do you think if Hawaii stopped paying taxes and kicked the military and federal government out we would accept it? If we did accept it would they still be a state?

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who pointed out that no one "officially" recognizes ROC. This is a political farce that continues as a placebo to mollify China. Please explain to me how Taiwan is still affiliated with China in any real sense? Are there any Taiwanese in the Chinese military? Is there any shared financial relationship? Other than the word China and a lack of "official" recognition can you point to anything factual that indicates they're the same nation?

Do you think the US would sell Aegis ships to China? We sold 4 to Taiwan and they'll be transferred in 2011. We've been training Taiwanese military personnel in the US for decades. Can you point to another non nation in the entire world that has it's own Navy, Air Force, Army and President?

Obviously you're also in the need to take a moment to educate yourself before you comment category as well. None of this is secret information... how can you possibly be talking about this subject and have so little information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies