Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM

29,481 posts, read 14,643,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Unemployment in Metro Detroit probably peaked at near depression levels in 2008. He had his job for 10 years, meaning he started circa 2005. He likely made sure to hold onto that job (through the hard times), by any means necessary, in an extremely bad economy where there were not and are not that many opportunities.....and at 56....who is going to hire him for an upwardly mobile position that pays well and are willing to invest in his training today?

You people are extremely poor at understanding and putting things in CONTEXT. When YOU do not understand something, or know all the facts, you just assume others are STUPID....and don't question your own ignorance and prejudice. Then when people put the proper label on your for your demonstrated ignorance......you cry foul.
"you people" ?! Wow, that's funny. Care to elaborate on what you mean by that ? I'm well aware of the woes in the metro Detroit job market. I had to leave the state in '06 for two years to remain employed, came back to a job that lasted 2 months and then spent a year off. At that time I was 40 in a very specialized field that looked like it was going away for good.
You pretty much have NO CLUE what you are talking about.
Even in the hard times this area has had, there was plenty of minimum wage to $10 and hour work. This guy made the choice to do this pure and simple. He did it because he liked it, or he did it because he didn't have the brain power to make a change. Either way it was his choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Detroit is probably the cheapest city in the US in terms of housing. But the local job market is a ghost town.

If he's from there, it's not so easy to get out, especially when the best you can earn is $10/hr. Success and living standards in the US are very much dependent on the circumstances you were fortunate (or not) to be born into. There are exceptions, but you hear about them because they're exceptions, not the rule.

That said, if I were him, given his publicity, I'd apply for more high paying jobs in better areas, with relocation assistance. Many employers would probably jump to hire a guy like that.
it wouldn't be surprising if he gets some job offers after this story. then the leftists will find some other detail to be livid about.

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm sorry but I have a hard time paying attention to anyone stupid enough to use terms like "Under Republican Rule" in a thread about a guy in Detroit. "Republican Rule" had nothing to do with Detroit's problems, that's just a fact you don't like.

Republicans in Detroit? You'd have a better chance of spotting a dodo bird, than finding a Republican in Detroit. As for Detroit, its issues are caused by a long time one party rule, and union greed as well as excessive regulations forcing businesses to leave in droves.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:35 AM

29,481 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Detroit is probably the cheapest city in the US in terms of housing. But the local job market is a ghost town.

If he's from there, it's not so easy to get out, especially when the best you can earn is $10/hr. Success and living standards in the US are very much dependent on the circumstances you were fortunate (or not) to be born into. There are exceptions, but you hear about them because they're exceptions, not the rule.

That said, if I were him, given his publicity, I'd apply for more high paying jobs in better areas, with relocation assistance. Many employers would probably jump to hire a guy like that.
Well aware what it's like here.... I live it every day.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Republicans in Detroit? You'd have a better chance of spotting a dodo bird, than finding a Republican in Detroit. As for Detroit, its issues are caused by a long time one party rule, and union greed as well as excessive regulations forcing businesses to leave in droves.
That's my point exactly, the problems found in Detroit are found deep and wide but none of them were/are caused by "Republican Rule". Republicans haven't ruled a damn thing in Detroit for a loooooooooooooooong looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time. Even making that claim is ignorant.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:46 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
"you people" ?! Wow, that's funny. Care to elaborate on what you mean by that ? I'm well aware of the woes in the metro Detroit job market. I had to leave the state in '06 for two years to remain employed, came back to a job that lasted 2 months and then spent a year off. At that time I was 40 in a very specialized field that looked like it was going away for good.
You pretty much have NO CLUE what you are talking about.
Even in the hard times this area has had, there was plenty of minimum wage to $10 and hour work. This guy made the choice to do this pure and simple. He did it because he liked it, or he did it because he didn't have the brain power to make a change. Either way it was his choice.

You people = Everyone who argues that those who are poor are poor because of personal faults, such as laziness, irresponsibility, poor choice makers, etc.

Uh...maybe you don't understand what UNEMPLOYMENT RATE MEANS? Do you understand musical chairs? If there are 10 chairs and 13 people circling....you can create all kinds of myths about opportunity that you want, but the reality is that when the music stops only 10 people will find a seat. Michigan lost over 800,000 jobs between 2000 and 2010. Hence, many chairs were taken away.....regardless of how great someone is at making choices, the math will never add up when 13 people are circling and there are only 10 chairs.

That said, there were people in the Twin Towers on 911. One could say that they were bad choice makers for showing up for work that day. One could also say that since some people made it out (I am sure you would have been one of those people) the towers alive, that the others who did not must have been poor choice makers because those (like you would have) who made it out demonstrated that it could be done. On the other hand, smart people would realize that just because one exist in the same general situation does not mean that they are in the same specific situation in degree or kind to suggest that because they did something (against the odds of the general situation) that others had the same opportunity to do so.

You people are good at that.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:48 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Oh wow, did people distort and take my comments out of context again?

Detroit failed this man. Detroit's racism kept black people in Detroit, and white people killing transit projects that would reach neighboring communities.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:50 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:

...and it is only happening because a passing teenager felt sorry for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
What did democrat voting get him and other people in Detroit?
Democrat voting had nothing to do with why Detroit sticks its foot in the asses of poor black people. Detroit cut off water to its citizens.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
You mad bro?

Whatever, if gullible people want to help the dude out its their money. Good for him.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:53 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
America isn't rewarding him with ****. It was one kid who felt bad for him that got him the publicity. Where was his "reward" the other ten years he was walking to work?!?!

His reward?

1. Self reliance
2. a job
3. pride with work
4.oh............................. and a little matter of $200K collected for him

When did America become of nation of crying babies who DEMAND things from other people and fail to take the initiative.

What is WRONG with America? People like you who think that the world owes them a living and a nice existence, simply because you are here.

We used to call people like that "bums". Now we call them good democrats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies