Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2015, 12:11 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Maybe he should get a bicycle....that would cut his commute time a LOT.
I wouldn't be surprised if he's tried that...only to end up having it get stolen. :\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 12:12 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You do not know what governs a persons choices. I had a friend who was an A student in high school. Grew up in the Altgel Gardens housing projects in Chicago. His his mother died when he was in college, so he dropped out of college to take care of a sick little sister, whom he did not want to go in some type of care home. He eventually ended up dying himself, poor, living in the housing project. He was my best friend and a GREAT HUMAN BEING. Was he a poor choice maker?

You do not know what is behind peoples choices.
True, but this guy is not complaining. He is doing this with a positive attitude and has no problem with it. So all these people saying how it is the cities fault, the economy , the employer just don't get it. This guy is doing this by choice, he basically said that in the interview.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
There is something very wrong with the fact that anyone would have to walk 21 miles a day just to make a living. This isn't acceptable in a developed country. That's more in line with the lifestyle in the most impoverished, rural parts of sub-Saharan Africa.
Read the article...he isn't walking 21 miles a day...

Old 02-04-2015, 12:15 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I agree with you Opin, I doubt any right winger would ever want to have a real discussion about this though.
Educate yourself and refocus your rage toward the 50+ year rule of Democrats who ran Detroit into the ground.

Missing The Bus: Dems Block Transit Authority To Protest 'Right To Work'

Old 02-04-2015, 12:18 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
True, but this guy is not complaining. He is doing this with a positive attitude and has no problem with it. So all these people saying how it is the cities fault, the economy , the employer just don't get it. This guy is doing this by choice, he basically said that in the interview.
Everything everyone does IS BY CHOICE. That is not saying anything. The question is the array of choices. Not every choice has the same probability to be actualized on. Right now I can choose to train and try out for the Olympics....but the probability of success is low and the opportunity cost high, given being almost 50 and out of shape.

All choices are not created equal.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:21 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
I disagree with the OP on the city giving him a car. First, the government (city, state, federal) shouldn't be giving people things like cars. That is something that should be paid for by the person or through private donations. Second, suppose someone is walking because his/her license has been take away for DUI or some other major traffic incident? You don't give him/her a vehicle.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Everything everyone does IS BY CHOICE. That is not saying anything. The question is the array of choices. Not every choice has the same probability to be actualized on. Right now I can choose to train and try out for the Olympics....but the probability of success is low and the opportunity cost high, given being almost 50 and out of shape.

All choices are not created equal.
Well then, he decided not to make any choices , spent 10 years of his life in a dead and job and thanks to some kid, the media and a bunch of gullible people he is now has $260k+ to change his situation now doesn't he ?

Old 02-04-2015, 12:31 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
Thank you for posting this. What an article.

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Educate yourself and refocus your rage toward the 50+ year rule of Democrats who ran Detroit into the ground.

Missing The Bus: Dems Block Transit Authority To Protest 'Right To Work'

Old 02-04-2015, 12:44 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Well then, he decided not to make any choices , spent 10 years of his life in a dead and job and thanks to some kid, the media and a bunch of gullible people he is now has $260k+ to change his situation now doesn't he ?
And what were the better choices for him....seeming that you know all about his life. Demonstrate the solid options that he had but failed to act on. Please don't say...."what I did"....unless you can prove that the other variables and constants in his life were the same as yours.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
And what were the better choices for him....seeming that you know all about his life. Demonstrate the solid options that he had but failed to act on. Please don't say...."what I did"....unless you can prove that the other variables and constants in his life were the same as yours.
Really ? You can't answer this one by yourself ? If you can't then I won't answer it for you. Blaming the city, the economy and everything is just a cop out.
What part don't you get ? He choice was staying there. Did he have other choices absolutely. What they are I have no idea. For $_hits sake, he could have stayed home and collected Welfare and probably been a lot better off. Should he have, not my decision, actually glad he didn't but one always has choices, why is that so hard to understand ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies