Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:32 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Are you assuming that racism only exists if laws are on the books saying so?

No. The other poster claimed that racist whites didn't allow buses from Detroit into the suburbs due to racism. My point is that why then, did they not prevent these suburban buses from providing service to majority black areas in the suburbs.

I want proof of this claim.

Look at page 16.

http://bridgemi.com/wp-content/uploa...rt_REVISED.pdf

Total population.

Total population of the Upper Peninsula is over 300,000, nearly half of Detroit.

That urban culture comes from white people's political views after the Great Migration. Blacks came to Detroit and could get a job working in the auto industry. Whites said.. "cool, as long as you don't live near us." Que a couple decades of housing segregation, suburban sprawl, blocking public transportation initiatives, and politicians bleeding the City of Detroit dry... and you get the current problem of Blacks in Detroits.

There is no excuse for your blatant bigotry. Detroit is a disgrace of a city. In a first world country, we have white bigot leaders willing to cut off ****ing water from poor black people because they are too arrogant and fearful to accept poor blacks as humans with equal rights.
I agree that Detroit is a disgrace of a city. A society makes up a city, and it doesn't look good - highly uneducated, uncivilized, and undisciplined. And about water, pay your bill!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise, get a bucket and go to the Detroit River. Why should I subsidize people who don't pay their water bills? If you want to help out people who don't pay their water bills, go donate some money to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 11:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
It's a BS story. The claim is that he walks 22 miles a day and only gets 2 hours sleep.

Old 02-10-2015, 11:27 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's a BS story. The claim is that he walks 22 miles a day and only gets 2 hours sleep.
He's a robot.

Or, he's been matrixed.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,063,396 times
The gentleman gets the last laugh though on those libs who have screamed, whined and bitched about government and societal failure, minimum wage and the 'injustice of his plight'.

He now has a new 35K car, banking 350K, getting financial advice on how to invest it. A conservative 5% roi and the guy will probably double his income; not even touching the principal. Retirement will be good for him in a few years.

All these years he persevered, did not whine, complain or blame. My kind of hero.

Isn't America and the free market system great?

Old 02-11-2015, 08:59 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,705,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
I agree that Detroit is a disgrace of a city. A society makes up a city, and it doesn't look good - highly uneducated, uncivilized, and undisciplined. And about water, pay your bill!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise, get a bucket and go to the Detroit River. Why should I subsidize people who don't pay their water bills? If you want to help out people who don't pay their water bills, go donate some money to them.
I do not think Detroit is a disgrace of a city at all. I love Detroit. I think its America's disgrace in regards to trade policies, discrimination, wars, etc.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:08 AM

2,485 posts, read 2,218,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Small moral comfort.

You conservatives are missing the bigger picture:

What did his backbreaking hard work get him? He is walking 21 miles per day for less than $11 per hour. He's been doing this for years. Where did all that hard work go to?!?! Where?!
It is certainly a puzzling that you don't see where he is hard work has gone to. He is raising a family and putting food on the table. Without his hard work, he would probably have slipped into more misery.

You seem to make the assumption that if someone works hard, they should be able to become wealthier. That simply isn't the case. You have to up your skill sets. It's always what you offer and how many competitors you have. Without the right skills, working hard would enable you to keep your job perhaps but not necessarily to make more.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm sorry but I have a hard time paying attention to anyone stupid enough to use terms like "Under Republican Rule" in a thread about a guy in Detroit. "Republican Rule" had nothing to do with Detroit's problems, that's just a fact you don't like.
This man's problem is several things. First of all, people have suggested that he can improve his situation by writing his bike, we're making other improvements that aren't necessarily expensive. He seems to be doing it the hard way.

Second the city of Detroit has been under democratic rule for a very long time and has suffered tremendously from the corruption of the Democratic politics in the city. It always sounds nice when liberals tell you that your tax money goes to increase public transit services and improve parks. But the reality is in a city like Detroit, that tax money goes immediately to people who take the money and improve their own private lives. You never see that money again. And apparently in the last several decades, the city of Detroit has not improved it's public transit. and stop blaming the Republicans. They are not in charge of Detroit.

Any new taxation and fees often go directly to the overblown patients of public employees most of whom are middle-class enough that they do not care about the poor that they give love service too. They refused to sacrifice and yourselves for the poor and they blame everybody else for it.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Unemployment in Metro Detroit probably peaked at near depression levels in 2008. He had his job for 10 years, meaning he started circa 2005. He likely made sure to hold onto that job (through the hard times), by any means necessary, in an extremely bad economy where there were not and are not that many opportunities.....and at 56....who is going to hire him for an upwardly mobile position that pays well and are willing to invest in his training today? Yet....you talk about choices as if they were omnipresent.

You people are extremely poor at understanding and putting things in CONTEXT. When YOU do not understand something, or know all the facts, you just assume others are STUPID....and don't question your own ignorance and prejudice. Then when people put the proper label on you for your demonstrated ignorance......you cry foul.
Choices. Everybody makes choices. Choices have consequences good or bad. He does seem to have missed the boat but that is his choices in the past.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:06 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Detroit man whose 21-mile walk to work inspired $350,000 in donations moves to temporary home

He had to leave his home.......people were asking for money.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbenator View Post
The thing is, he has other options. Many people take the easy way. He didn't. He asked no one for a handout. Maybe he could have considered other options. Maybe find a cheap apartment near work, or, like someone said, get a bike. I admire the guy. Most wouldn't endure or survive what he's been thru.

Instead of bashing the guy, I would like to see more black Americans admiring this kind of man than a Michael Brown.

I hope he is somewhat rewarded for his endurance. The man has proven CHARACTER. I hope better job offers come his way now that his story is out.
I do think that there's something at mirable about the sky. However, I think he could work smarter to improve his situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies