Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:49 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I know. But guess where the bad guys get their guns? A lot of then steal them, or buy guns that were stolen from the law abiding citizens.

Recently in my town, there's been a rash of home invasions, and the residents who owned guns were robbed of them. Not only did the guns fail to protect the homeowners, they have been used against them, and are now additional tools in the robbers' arsenals.

Rash of home invasions in Silicon Valley? Actually I doubt that the homeowners were home. Most home invasions where a gun owner is home end badly for the robbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2015, 02:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Anybody who wants to confiscate guns should be the first one through the door to take them away.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:28 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
First eliminate drunken driving, speeding, and distracted driving (start with hand held phones and texting), require everyone to be inoculated, especially all those entering the country...uh, and while at it, close the borders to enable this and then send all illegals back and then ... enough for this year, but we better get the enforcers busy, they have lots to work on.

Collecting hundreds of million guns is comparable in scope, and the above are all regarded as 'impossible', unnecessary, and/or politically inappropriate...and also probably of less value in saving innocent lives and helping the country's future.

Opinions vary

Old 02-04-2015, 06:41 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,368,395 times
Quote:
But this isn't happening in places where guns are restricted. You don't have wild maniacs running around with bows and arrows and throwing rocks at each other in Japan.

Why can most other developed countries manage this, but not the US? Are Americans just naturally less civilized?
Weapons of all kinds have been highly regulated in Japan for centuries and they have a completely different society than the US. Most Americans are more civilized, the violent crime rate in the US is lower than most other european countries, far lower than the UK or Australia. The US murder rate is higher, but it's also highly concentrated in dense, urban (liberal) cities and the great majority of murders are committed by habitual repeat felons. If you want to reduce violence get rid of the criminals, not the tool some of them use.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:07 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
As it stands now, you may or may not support gun control, to whatever extent.

But regardless of your opinion on the merits of gun control currently:

1) Do you think it's even possible to remove guns out of circulation so that they were as unavailable to everyone (including shady characters) as it is in Europe, New Zealand, etc? Or do you think it's too late, and now impossible, since guns have gained such a foothold in American culture for too long?

2) Hypothetically, assume that the guns CAN feasibly be removed from circulation, making them unavailable to even the criminals. If this was the case, would you then support gun control? Why or why not?
Well, only if we start by removing LE guns.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:17 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Disarmament only empowers the predators, armed or not.
Helpless victims are not safer because their assailant isn't armed.
. . .
But if certain Americans want to voluntarily disarm, no one will stop them.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Disarmament only empowers the predators, armed or not.
Helpless victims are not safer because their assailant isn't armed.
. . .
But if certain Americans want to voluntarily disarm, no one will stop them.
Guns are an important element of personal self defense. An assailant always has the advantage of surprise. The gun in well trained hands can help equalize that advantage.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:00 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
OP just causing trouble.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:21 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
I love these threads where people are afraid of a piece of iron or plastic. Awesome.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:26 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I've always said I'd get in the line to turn in all my guns but only if I'm the very last person in that line.
you will always be in front of me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies