Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on vaccinations?
Vaccines are unsafe, cause autism and I do not take them at all. 5 5.05%
The Government has the right to force any vaccine on people that they see fit. 29 29.29%
Most vaccines are safe and people should take them, but the Government shouldn't be allowed to force them on people. 65 65.66%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 07:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The stats are nonsense? Why? MJJersey did not imply that theses states high rates of infant mortality were due to vaccinations. To me it just shows that vaccinations are not the end all be all path to good health. These states consistently rank in the bottom regarding good health. Colorado, which has one of the lower rates of vaccination consistently ranks in the top. Contrary to some of the extreme sentiment portrayed in these conversations, vaccinations are not the end all be all most important preventative health measure out there.
No, s/he is just doing what all anti-vaxers like to do, raise doubt. Infant mortality stats in this country tend to be related to prematurity. Preemie newborns aren't getting immunized.

I have some issue with Colorado's statistics. I've been to some meetings of the Colorado Immunization Coalition where this has been discussed. It's too complicated to get into here, where many people barely understand basic math, let alone statistics. In any event, Colorado has only had one case.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:35 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The stats are nonsense? Why? MJJersey did not imply that theses states high rates of infant mortality were due to vaccinations. To me it just shows that vaccinations are not the end all be all path to good health. These states consistently rank in the bottom regarding good health. Colorado, which has one of the lower rates of vaccination consistently ranks in the top. Contrary to some of the extreme sentiment portrayed in these conversations, vaccinations are not the end all be all most important preventative health measure out there.
I've seen the article, too, and if it bears out, we are going to pay a huge price for our negligence when an outbreak takes hold. This is exactly why my husband, who received one shot of the killed virus in the '60s, has an appointment for a booster next Monday. I'm in the same boat, but I cannot receive a booster because it is contraindicated, so I rely on other people to be responsible.

As for the rest of your post, legalsea has already pointed out why it is nonsensical. Thank you, legalsea.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:39 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Just wait until mumps starts going around in the adult population.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:43 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Just wait until mumps starts going around in the adult population.
It already has in the NHL, among fully vaccinated players.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
It already has in the NHL, among fully vaccinated players.
SOME were fully vaccinated. Some were stupid enough to practice and play while sick, and even go on a "goodwill" visit to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh hours before they got diagnosed. But let's not hijack.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,315,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
Most patients whose vaccine status is known are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.
"Measles Mary" was fully vaccinated. Caught measles when she went to the Phillipines, came back to NYC, and spread it around. Mostly to unvaccinated, but there were two others who fully vaccinated.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
A: Vaccines are unsafe, cause autism and I do not take them at all.

B: The Government has the right to force any vaccine on people if they see fit.

C: Most vaccines are safe and people should take them, but the Government shouldn't be allowed to force them on people.
These vaccines became important when the death toll become great. everyone has the right to choose what they want for their child, If you decide the risk of the vaccine is greater than the risk if the disease then by all means do not get vaccinated . If you are vaccinated then do not worry when a measles out break occurs. The only ones that are at risk in an measles outbreak are those that chose not to take the vaccine. I am fully libertarian on this issue , let the parents decide. either way there is a risk, up to the parents to decide. Later when the child is old enough he/she can then determine for themselves to get vaccinated or not. Those that are vaccinated should have no fear of those that are not. In an outbreak only those that chose not to get vaccinated need to fear the disease. Not governments job to dictate vaccines

Old 02-05-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
These vaccines became important when the death toll become great. everyone has the right to choose what they want for their child, If you decide the risk of the vaccine is greater than the risk if the disease then by all means do not get vaccinated . If you are vaccinated then do not worry when a measles out break occurs. The only ones that are at risk in an measles outbreak are those that chose not to take the vaccine. I am fully libertarian on this issue , let the parents decide. either way there is a risk, up to the parents to decide. Later when the child is old enough he/she can then determine for themselves to get vaccinated or not. Those that are vaccinated should have no fear of those that are not. In an outbreak only those that chose not to get vaccinated need to fear the disease. Not governments job to dictate vaccines
I'm sure FallsAngel or Suzy can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe I am vulnerable, even though I had the vaccine in the mid-'60s. Why? Because I received one dose of the killed virus. As of the '90s, children began receiving two doses of a live attenuated vaccine, because it offered better immunity. Unfortunately, I am not able to receive a booster, because I am undergoing a type chemotherapy. Had I been aware that this was an issue I would have had a booster years ago, but now I'm stuck. Measles is typically a mild illness in people with healthy immune systems, but all infections are serious for me.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
"Measles Mary" was fully vaccinated. Caught measles when she went to the Phillipines, came back to NYC, and spread it around. Mostly to unvaccinated, but there were two others who fully vaccinated.
Link please.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 AM

Here's an article that recounts the event and briefly explains the science behind it.

Quote:
Although public health officials have assumed that measles immunity lasts forever, the case of Measles Mary highlights the reality that “the actual duration [of immunity] following infection or vaccination is unclear,” says Jennifer Rosen, who led the investigation as director of epidemiology and surveillance at the New York City Bureau of Immunization. The possibility of waning immunity is particularly worrisome as the virus surfaces in major U.S. hubs like Boston, Seattle, New York, and the Los Angeles area. Rosen doesn’t believe this single case merits a change in vaccination strategy—for example, giving adults booster shots—but she says that more regular surveillance to assess the strength of people’s measles immunity is warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies