Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 05:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
There is no reason to bring in H1-B workers as long as so many American citizen STEM/IT workers are unemployed.
I don't know of a single qualified American IT worker that is unemployed. All my friends in college that are American citizens and majored in CS landed very lucrative jobs before they even graduated. They are all smart of course. I understand just picking a STEM major does not make you a good worker. I had friends that were foreigners as well who also got great CS jobs, but these tend to be the most hardworking and academically advanced kids in the class. During my 4 years, the school had 2 valedictorians and 2 salutatorians that were international students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Stop whining.
All you liberals ever do is whine.

This is the free market in action and if you have a problem with it, you can always move to Venezuela.
hello Spatula City.

I am not even a liberal I am just stating the facts.
and the truth of the matter

Train your workers next time you complain IT workers are less educated than management

When it is management/finance/accountants/and such degrees that are incompetent useless buffoons that should be replaced.

As many have said most of the time you guys HIRE IDIOTS.
then complain and lower wages further because you do not know how to recruit good candidates or train them.

TOO BAD that's why you guys are going downhill.
and instead asking for more tax bailouts.

whom is the liberal here.

microsoft/facebook?

sorry I think they are mostly liberal leaning.
that want to hire H1B instead of hiring Americans.

you need to secure the borders right?

Ever heard of the weakest link in your security being breached?
Well then are you not afraid of backdoors being put in place by H1B workers?

that is exactly what goldman sachs was suing a HFT programmer in 2008 for.
and your point is?

Make a distinction of what is a liberal/conservative next time instead of calling names.

You idiots do not know anything do you?
This is especially true when those with engineer/comp sci/IT degrees usually have far higher IQ's than the typical American

like yourself. being a brain dead one.

Old 02-05-2015, 05:45 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I don't know of a single qualified American IT worker that is unemployed. All my friends in college that are American citizens and majored in CS landed very lucrative jobs before they even graduated. They are all smart of course. I understand just picking a STEM major does not make you a good worker. I had friends that were foreigners as well who also got great CS jobs, but these tend to be the most hardworking and academically advanced kids in the class. During my 4 years, the school had 2 valedictorians and 2 salutatorians that were international students.
to land those jobs usually need to do internships with them first.
so if they are smart they would do so.

otherwise it's going to be increasingly harder for them to get their foot in.
namely they need to play politics

Because the hiring managers usually don't know what they are doing.
unless of course the ones hiring actually are the IT department
if it is just the owner?

Yeah you bet your ass they don't know the first thing about the job.
You'll have to get the job by lying then.

this is why SONY got hacked so many times already
if you read they consider IT to be an expense so they lower it to minimal levels to the point they don't even care.
as a result they get hacked time and time again.

DO NOT HAVE A BANK account/credit card with them
else your info will get leaked no matter what.

they just have insurance to back up their losses that's all they refuse to increase IT security because of cost.
so in the end your ID will be vulnerable and they will not

notice Chase, target, sears, kmart, macy's etc

ALL HACKED.

notice they suck in their IT department and outsourced most of them to H1B.
Also notice how bad the IT department at the white house is?

notice they screwed up with the IRS hard drives?
yeah. right? if it is that bad well frankly speaking all their IT H1B folk needs to be fired.

Pronto not delaying it further.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:26 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Really? Then you must not get out much. Stories abound about those in the STEM/IT fields who were displaced by H1-Bs and have been out of work so long that their skills have gone rusty. Do some googling.

Where is your compassion for Americans? I bet you are now going to fault those thousands of displaced Americans for not updating their skills while out of work. If you do stoop to that level, then tell us all where the unemployed workers are going to get the money needed to obtain a certificate?

My husband was out of work for 10 months. He would hear from Indian recruiters who would string him along with no intentions of hiring him. And don't tell me it's because he wasn't experienced. In fact, he has gotten many awards and bonuses for jobs well done. Yet, before he could get hired again, despite being self taught when it comes to updating his skills, he had to get a certificate. Doing so, cost $3000. Good thing that we had saved quite a bit of money. We are fortunate in that way. Too many out of work STEM/IT workers are not and often end up losing their homes.

Since you seem to think otherwise, take the time to follow up on all those people who were displaced by this company. You will find that many will be out of work for quite a long time.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:35 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Unfortunately, all any of you will do is to complain to each other and blame the other political party. None of you will blame your own congressman, your own senator, your own presidential candidate. None of you will go to your local politician's office, camp out, and demand action - to know why your jobs are leaving. 85 percent of you won't support unions. Almost none of you will join or support groups like the "99 Percenters", the "Occupy" Movement or the "Wisconsin Union" Protesters.

As long as none of you are going to DO anything we might as well close this thread, because it is pointless.
Speak for yourself!

My rep and senators hear from me quite a lot about about this issue.

You're right---neither party is looking out for Americans. The sad thing is that democrats of yore would never have stood for this happening. Today's democrats don't care about Americans.

Yes, American citizen STEM/IT workers should "camp out and demand action". However, how will unemployed ones get there? In all likelihood, they are having to watch every penny and hope that they don't lose their homes. Not to mention, that they spend a lot of time looking for work.

If anyone in the STEM/IT fields organized a group that raised funds to fight this and help send people to DC to protest, I would donate.

However, I bet many are afraid of being blacklisted should they do so.

Do we vote the bums out that allow this to happen? If so, how do we know their replacements will have the courage to stand up for Americans? Plus there are too many low information voters who don't vote in the country's best interest---or even their own best interests.

So, what is the answer?

ETA: Senator Grassley is the best one in office when it comes to H1-B reform:

http://www.grassley.senate.gov/issue...es/immigration

Old 02-05-2015, 07:58 PM

384 posts, read 734,497 times
American Brain Drain: Why We Need H1B Visa Immigration Reform*|*Gary Shapiro

This has been going on since 1970

Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,350,260 times
offshoring is the bigger problem. Many corps just set up their operations overseas. Eliminates the need for the H1B issue anyway. Don't really see the point of the H1B program because it can be circumvented by offshoring, it benefits the IT industry and large computer corporations for the most part. They pay the engineers way less than their american counterparts because the cost of living is much lower overseas.

this is all old news. Not good news though. The world hates the American worker.

Last edited by gardener34; 02-05-2015 at 08:24 PM..

Old 02-05-2015, 09:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Really? Then you must not get out much. Stories abound about those in the STEM/IT fields who were displaced by H1-Bs and have been out of work so long that their skills have gone rusty. Do some googling.

Where is your compassion for Americans? I bet you are now going to fault those thousands of displaced Americans for not updating their skills while out of work. If you do stoop to that level, then tell us all where the unemployed workers are going to get the money needed to obtain a certificate?

My husband was out of work for 10 months. He would hear from Indian recruiters who would string him along with no intentions of hiring him. And don't tell me it's because he wasn't experienced. In fact, he has gotten many awards and bonuses for jobs well done. Yet, before he could get hired again, despite being self taught when it comes to updating his skills, he had to get a certificate. Doing so, cost $3000. Good thing that we had saved quite a bit of money. We are fortunate in that way. Too many out of work STEM/IT workers are not and often end up losing their homes.

Since you seem to think otherwise, take the time to follow up on all those people who were displaced by this company. You will find that many will be out of work for quite a long time.
I happen to believe more in personal experience than googling something on the internet that can be made up. I shared my personal experience. Share yours. I'm not going to conclude that you don't get out much if your experience is different from mine.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:05 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
I happen to believe more in personal experience than googling something on the internet that can be made up. I shared my personal experience. Share yours. I'm not going to conclude that you don't get out much if your experience is different from mine.
She did share hers. Did you not read it? Reading comprehension appears to be a lost art.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:08 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,015,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
You can't sue, unless the one you are suing has broken some sort of law. Our wonderful elected officials in Washington make sure that Big Business's anti-worker actions are 100% legal. Remember the collapse of 2008, which tanked the world economy and severely hurt the American working class and Middle Class? Not a single one of the "movers and shakers" that CAUSED THE COLLAPSE was brought up on charges: instead, your Big Government used YOUR tax dollars to make sure they didn't lose a penny.

And the fact that less and less of private sector workers are covered by unions is a SYMPTOM of the loss of the bargaining power of labor--not the CAUSE of the loss of bargaining power. Today it is almost exclusively GOVERNMENT workers who are represented by unions--which is insane, since this is a sick perversion of the very concept of the union, and yet another crime against the working class by a corrupt Big Government.

A union is supposed to represent workers in negotiating with business owners for a fair split of business profits. But with government unions, BOTH the parties involved in the negotiation have the exact same goal: to maximize the compensation of government workers and elected officials. The bill for all those increased government costs is then sent to the taxpayer--who has absolutely NO representation in the negotiations. To claim that the taxpayers are "represented" by being able to pick between two pro-government clones every 2 years is a joke.

This is how public sector workers have become far better paid, with far better benefits, with much less cost sharing by the government employee, and for far less work hours, than their private sector counterparts. No wonder government workers treat the people who pay their salaries with distain.
Truth to power!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies