Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:01 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I don't get it. Why is it so hard to prove that employers violate the law if it seems that the violation is so widespread? One successful lawsuit and the whole work visa system is on the brink of extinction.

If you take a look at this website: Microsoft India Employer Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale India

You'll see that 90% is not much of a stretch, if at all. 10,000 rupees is the equivalent of about 1.6k US dollars.

Average wage paid to similar employed workers in a specific occupation.

I did some research the other day on H-1B visas, and found this helpful website that allows you to see how many visas each company sponsors each year and the average salary paid to the visa holders: Microsoft Corporation, Jobs & Salary for Foreign Workers | myvisajobs.com

It does not look like H-1B visa holders are getting underpaid at all. Their average salary in 2014 was almost 120k.
Ahh intentional ignorance and cherry picking of data. how refreshing.

Lets look at the largest user of h1-B's in the nation. infosys.

Infosys Limited, Jobs & Salary for Foreign Workers | myvisajobs.com

Hmmmm...a far cry from the 110K of Microsoft at 76K. And lower then the average for this sort of work.

so why the difference? Heres why-the 110K number from Microsoft is for the best of the best-people that actually average more then 110K for this sort of thing. Where does Microsoft get their outsource talent in general? why.....Infosys. In fact They just signed a 100 million dollar contract with Microsoft to provide outsourced employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 03:17 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Woah. Infosys filed 32 THOUSAND visa applications in 2013? That's almost half of the annual quota for this sort of visa!

To be honest, I know nothing about this company. The foreign IT workers I know working in the US work for the likes of Microsoft and Facebook, which is why I looked them up. Infosys is in a class of its own. I'm speechless.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:50 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,327 times
Correction: LCA's do not mean the same thing as visa applications, since they include renewals and transfers. But still, 32,000 is a lot.

I did a bit more research on this company's LCA records and found that the majority of their H-1B workers are computer systems analysts, and computer systems analysts get paid significantly less than software engineers. According to this website: Computer Systems Analysts : Occupational Outlook Handbook: : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, computer systems analysts' median salary in 2012 is about 80k, about on par with the average salary of about 75k for Infosys's LCA's in 2012.

You can view more info on the particular job's classification and prevailing wage in one of the particular LCA's that are publicized: I-200-14337-634614: :H1B Visa LCA | Myvisajobs.com

Still don't look underpaid ...

Old 02-17-2015, 04:00 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
75K compared to 80K. Think about that. importing in folks that are 6% cheaper, and who are highly unlikely to leave.

Thats pushing down wages.

Even better....most are being hired as that...and doing something else....ie the job title, and what they actually do are different. So...yeah thats a significant underpay even if we assume they are doing the job description....alll 32,000 of them as you point out...

You know somethings wrong here. The surprise from the stats you found are telling you that.

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,847,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_lanka View Post
H-1B workers are supposed to be hired for jobs that could not otherwise be filled. This is using them to increase corporate profits and nothing else! Where are the regulators????
out the door

Old 02-18-2015, 03:22 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Singapore, one of the leading high tech economies of the world per capita, makes it extremely difficult to hire foreign workers over a Singaporean. Why can't the US do the same?
I just answered that question, in the post immediately prior to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thats pushing down wages.
That's critical. It isn't just that they get paid less, but the fact that they get paid less drags down the wages that they get paid less than. However, I'm not quite as concerned about that (even though it adversely affects me) as much as how it undercuts the incentive to business to pressure government to upgrade the skills of the Americans they would have to employ if they couldn't hire H-1Bs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies