Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,986,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
If you really believe this than I can't help you. Show me the first idiot who shoots himself and others because he is stupid.
Police: 2-Year-Old In Critical Condition After Accidentally Shooting Himself Inside Delaware Home « CBS Philly

I can find stories like this all day long. Morons leave loaded guns around the house or in their car and people die. Sometimes their moron kids shoot themselves. Sometimes their moron kids shoot their siblings. Sometimes their moron kids shoot the parents (poetic justice, at least).

Here's another:

Boy, 2, accidentally shoots and kills mom in Idaho Walmart - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News

I can find these stories all day long. Law-abiding citizens who just happen to also be morons. If they themselves were the only victims, I would COMPLETELY support sending everyone a firearm and letting this problem self correct.

But it doesn't work that way, now does it?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The Second Amendment does NOT say YOU have a right to bear arms. Yes, the NRA has ranted about this in order to protect their manufacturer members, but that is NOT what the second amendment says, nor intended. .

Of course it does. Anyone that can read can see that, except for anti-gun folks who grasp at straws for a personal agenda. You do, however, have the right NOT to own one. If your name is not one of the signatures on the Constitution, we don't need your opinion of what it means. We know what it says in plain English.

I used to support sensible Gun Laws. Now I am against ANY gun laws at all, no matter how small. I would even vote for Felons having Guns, because that would keep these anti-gun freaks busy and they would have less time to make up stupid gun Laws that don't work. I also support the NRA with a lot of cash, to help them stall any gun Laws and defeat any Politician that is anti-gun. It works. We are organized and we have the backing in Money and the best Political support money can buy. Anti-Gun folks are disorganized, have little clout or backing, and have to wait for Tragic events to exploit. They don't have public support. Even local Police Departments have said they refuse to enforce stupid gun laws outside criminal activities. Anti Gun folks need to go find a new Crusade, like Drunk Driving.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:21 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Police: 2-Year-Old In Critical Condition After Accidentally Shooting Himself Inside Delaware Home « CBS Philly

I can find stories like this all day long. Morons leave loaded guns around the house or in their car and people die. Sometimes their moron kids shoot themselves. Sometimes their moron kids shoot their siblings. Sometimes their moron kids shoot the parents (poetic justice, at least).

Here's another:

Boy, 2, accidentally shoots and kills mom in Idaho Walmart - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News

I can find these stories all day long. Law-abiding citizens who just happen to also be morons. If they themselves were the only victims, I would COMPLETELY support sending everyone a firearm and letting this problem self correct.

But it doesn't work that way, now does it?
That wasn't what I asked but you knew that. So your solution is what??? Remove all guns? Should we also remove all cell phones and cars. Morons text and drive all day and kill some innocent person. What next? Remove all space heaters for houses? Remove all nail guns? This could go on and on.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,120,183 times
We need to remove ALL drugs, they're even worse than cars! Don't believe me? From the CDC -

"Drug overdose was the leading cause of injury death in 2012. Among people 25 to 64 years old, drug overdose caused more deaths than motor vehicle traffic crashes.1
The drug overdose death rate has more than doubled from 1999 through 2013.8
In 2013, 35,663 (81.1%) of the 43,982 drug overdose deaths in the United States were unintentional, 5,432 (12.4%) were of suicidal intent, and 2,801 (0.06%) were of undetermined intent.8"

But the same crowd they bleats "get rid of all guns" happily support the legal use of drugs. Why is that?

Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

No. My solution is not to remove all guns. That's the only kind of gun control that gun fetishists understand. It's always "everyone can have guns" or "nobody can have guns" with such people. They're morons, after all, so they don't understand nuance.

Compared to automobiles, guns are essentially unregulated. I didn't need a license to buy a gun. I was never tested to see if I had the basic competency to operate one. Nobody is requiring that I purchase liability insurance. I can sell a firearm to just about anyone without having to fill out any paperwork. There is no Department of Firearms where I have to wait in line to get a license plate for my gun.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:32 PM

672 posts, read 788,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The Second Amendment does NOT say YOU have a right to bear arms. Yes, the NRA has ranted about this in order to protect their manufacturer members, but that is NOT what the second amendment says, nor intended. Just because gun advocates repeat it over and over again doesn't make it true. Read it again, and read the legal cases which have further defined and interpreted it. Except in specific, narrow cases, the Amendment has been interpreted exactly as it was written: As part of an organized militia you may have the right to bear arms.
How does an unarmed populace organize a militia in the event that their government has broken down and done something like declare martial law?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

There, that is what it says, exactly. Make no mistake that the framers of the Constitution put that language there to protect the rights of the citizenry to be armed so that someone bent on becoming a dictator would have to consider that the general populace would be armed, not just the police, not just the military, but the general populace. Read the quotes Jefferson, John Adams, Madison and other framers wrote about this topic. Not only were they looking to be able to organize a militia of the people in the event of an invasion from England or Frace, but they were also keeping in mind what could happen if a despot gained power.

Read it again, and read the FEDERAL legal cases which support the concept that the amendment was meant to support the free state, to keep those in power from usurping that.

There is a deterrent built in, so that you couldn't have, say, a President one day decide that s/he is going to disarm everyone, then decide to declare a dictatorship, or "Democratic Republic" and use the existing military to control the general populace without any real resistance. This isn't the equivalent of the townsfolk storming the keep with torches and pitchforks, either.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:34 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
A person hell bent on killing will use anything a car,knife,hammer,axe,tire iron,screwdriver,poison going to ban these things too?
Bare hands are close to #1 as far as murder weapons. Feet can stomp another to death. Hammers, cinder blocks and other inanimate objects spring to mind as well.
Any living thing that touches water eventually dies. To add...any living thing that happens to come into contact with earth's atmosphere does as well.

Guns sure are scary.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:42 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
Hi there! I'm new here and i don't know what do you think about gun-usage.
Hope that it will be good thread and somebody will tell me why i'm wrong or why i'm right!

So, let's speak about gun control, gun ownership and mental health testing.
I often see articles with headlines like "Toddler shot his parents" or "Another shootings in *districtname*" and people in comments often write very stupid arguments to protect themselves and all of gun owners.
Also they like to write something like "Only mad and mentally-ill persons kill people, not guns"
But as we can see from this article Stop blaming mental health for gun violence. The problem is guns. - The Washington Post
only 4 percent of people which used guns was mentally ill.
And now i wanna know your opinion.

P.S. please, post some real arguments, not stats about ids died in swimming pools!
i think the problem is arms. not "arms" as in weapons, i mean actual human arms. pretty hard to kill people if you dont have any arms. time to start removing people's arms!

Old 02-06-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Guns sure are scary.
It's not the guns that are scary. It's the stupidity of the people with the guns that is scary.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:44 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,560,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
No. My solution is not to remove all guns. That's the only kind of gun control that gun fetishists understand. It's always "everyone can have guns" or "nobody can have guns" with such people. They're morons, after all, so they don't understand nuance.

Compared to automobiles, guns are essentially unregulated. I didn't need a license to buy a gun. I was never tested to see if I had the basic competency to operate one. Nobody is requiring that I purchase liability insurance. I can sell a firearm to just about anyone without having to fill out any paperwork. There is no Department of Firearms where I have to wait in line to get a license plate for my gun.
You start losing people when all you have are name-calling words to fall back on. You do realize people drive cars without a license or insurance. In fact it happens way more than you know. Those SAME people kill people on the road.

What is your solution since you equate gun owners with having a fetish with guns or they are all morons. Have an IQ test before you can get a gun? Should they pass a certain IQ number before offered a permit? I know many very bright individuals who can program code in minutes that would take the average person way longer. They are very bright but have absolutely no common sense.

Please explain how your dream of gun control should be handled. I am curious how you will weed out the gun fetish types as well as the morons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies