Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 11:08 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
I didn't mention banning guns. Gun nuts need to read messages 10 times and try to understand them before they reply.
Or we could use common sense, which gun nuts don't have, and require people to pass a test to prove they aren't stupid.
Except that some of those people with half a brain shoot babies because the baby's mother doesn't have cash for them to steal.
But gun nuts want unrestricted gun use for everyone, including those who would use them for evil.
Gun nuts
see it that way. If anyone wants gun owners to be competent and responsible, gun nuts start chanting. They don't have the brains to understand what they're chanting about, but it amounts to letting everyone have guns, including those who would misuse them.
Quite a diatribe. But, this opinion and fallacy it doesn't address any point relevant to the issue of gun ownership made by those against further goverment restrictions.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Me, I'd settle for what the Swiss have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_po...in_Switzerland There, everybody gets a gun, but everyone is responsible for where it is and what is done with it. The U.S. constitution says we have the right to bear arms and it says why. It doesn't say we have the right to run an arms bazaar a la Somalia or Pakistan for our fun and profit.
I'm quite surprised to see a post like this in this thread. It is lucid and thoughtful.

And that's why I'm the first person to respond to it. Tired comparisons to Nazis and gun control is all the "2nd amendment is the holiest of holies" types have to counter with.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:39 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Oh, and maybe the president can stop undermining the laws we have, and quit pardoning felons who've been convicted of illegal gun possession. What a concept.
This is a classic example of Problem. Reaction. Solution. You create a problem such as letting people out of jail who shouldn't be. Then when that person goes on to commit more crimes there's a reaction that "something must be done". In this case, something to control guns (and not addressing why a person was released from prison early in the first place). Then you have the "solution" which always involves people getting their rights taken away in the name of security.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gjk1Qt8MG4

Old 02-08-2015, 05:57 PM

9,089 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeenThomas View Post
Hi there! I'm new here and i don't know what do you think about gun-usage.
Hope that it will be good thread and somebody will tell me why i'm wrong or why i'm right!

So, let's speak about gun control, gun ownership and mental health testing.
I often see articles with headlines like "Toddler shot his parents" or "Another shootings in *districtname*" and people in comments often write very stupid arguments to protect themselves and all of gun owners.
Also they like to write something like "Only mad and mentally-ill persons kill people, not guns"
But as we can see from this article Stop blaming mental health for gun violence. The problem is guns. - The Washington Post
only 4 percent of people which used guns was mentally ill.
And now i wanna know your opinion.

P.S. please, post some real arguments, not stats about ids died in swimming pools!
How does the Washington Post argument explain away those murderers who are physically strong enough to kill other people with their bare hands using such methods as strangulation or body slamming the victim into a stone or concrete wall? Guns and weaponry in general are only tools, they are not the motives/reasons for murder.

Gun usage in murders is a matter of convenience, not causation. Of course if guns are banned it could lead to more dire consequences where bombs and explosions become the favored tools and that would create way more collateral damage than what we see with gun usage.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:15 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,892,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pop251808 View Post
Some people have a harder time than this accepting others' violent deaths in our civil society so cavalierly. Upset, depressed people might deserve a chance to rethink their agony. A gun, being our most efficient killing tool, usually does its job before a second guess can get any traction.

That's just one more reason why many think it would be prudent not to have guns so readily available to everyone; not everyone is as sure of things as you (apparently) are.

Guns are dangerous hardware and people are...well, people are people. Me, I'd settle for what the Swiss have: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_po...in_Switzerland There, everybody gets a gun, but everyone is responsible for where it is and what is done with it.

The U.S. constitution says we have the right to bear arms and it says why. It doesn't say we have the right to run an arms bazaar a la Somalia or Pakistan for our fun and profit.
NO, because SW says:

stating plausibly the need to carry firearms to protect oneself, other people, or real property from a specified danger

We are not living in SW. Our Constitution EXPLICITLY DENIES the government the power to "give us rights". We do NOT have to make a case for this freedom. We already HAVE IT.

ALL RIGHTS ARE OURS by BIRTH and freedom and the government is VERY LIMITED as to what "rights" it is given. And the 2nd Amendment was put in there just to make sure there is NO QUESTION ABOUT IT.

Hence the BILL OF RIGHTS.

Liberals are so funny.

You fight for the right of mentally ill people to refuse MEDICATION and live on the streets then turn around and want to punish MENTALLY SOUND people for their choices of personal property, protected by the CONSTITUTION.

If you want a nanny state try and be consistent.

And YES, we most certainly DO have the right to run an arms bazaar. It's called a gun show. Sorry 'bout it.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:33 PM

893 posts, read 885,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I object to including suicide in gun violence statistics. Suicide is a basic human right that no government has ever managed to abrogate. A gun is an effective tool for exercising that right.

Gun fatalities due to police enforcement are also lumped in with gun fatalities, when they are actually the result of a properly functioning society.

Then, of course, there are the frequent uses of guns for self defense.

If you look at where the numbers come from, you will find that America's "gun violence problem" is mostly a fabrication of yellow journalism. True gun violence has actually been declining for years.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Weapon-Sho.../dp/B00GSZU26S
this needs reposted again, and again. The anti-gun/self defense NUTS are just that. Nuts

Old 02-08-2015, 06:42 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Let's see...
If a mentally deficient person gets drink and high on drugs, and drives his 4X4 one ton truck through a crowded mall, injuring a couple hundred people and killing a few dozen, is it the fault of the drug and alcohol crazed mental case, or is it the fault of the 4X4 truck?
Should we outlaw such trucks, unless a definite need can be proven?
Or should we just outlaw lift kits, big tires, and massive bumpers?
If someone causes an accident in his Smart For Two, creating a massive pileup on a freeway, damaging a dozen vehicles and killing half a dozen people, is it the fault of the Smart car or the stupid driver? Perhaps we need to outlaw all small cars, too.
There are SO many possible examples, can we outlaw all those things?
It might be the humane thing to do...

Old 02-08-2015, 07:19 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
this needs reposted again, and again. The anti-gun/self defense NUTS are just that. Nuts
It definitely doesn't "needs reposted", although it may need to be reposted.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:50 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Here are two excellent arguments from folks with political backgrounds not traditionally aligned with gun rights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MYU5Pipl1E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwIbyp4xBU

....the right to bear arms is because that's the last form of defense against tyranny. Not to hunt. It's to protect yourself from the police.
---Ice-T

I'm a Jewish girl from New York surrounded by liberals....You're just raised to believe that anyone who believes in gun rights is a lunatic....I've really moved on this because now I still hate gun violence, of course. But, our government is at war with us. And now they're killing us. And the Founders wrote the 2nd Amendment because, they, too, were facing a government that was at war with them and killing them. And that's where we are. That's the truth of where we are. And I believe that this insistent assault we see on taking away gun rights, restricting gun rights..I hate guns. I wish they didn't exist. I wish we didn't need them in the United States; but when the government is at war with you, I do think the Founders' wisdom that citizens have to be able to defend themselves is profound. ---Naomi Wolf.
Good for you for using your brain and engaging in critical thinking! So few people actually question or re-evaluate the things they have been taught. Good for you for looking around you and seeing the way things are, and understanding that freedom is not free! It is not given to us by our government, it is something we as citizens have to fight for daily. We must daily protect our own rights and freedoms, otherwise they will be slowly taken from us by those in power.

You don't need to be a gun fanatic or own 10 guns to want freedom. It is not necessary to be in the NRA or to brush off shootings that happen for no reason. It is good to keep a level head and look at the good we can do with guns. School security guards could be armed with guns and therefore prevent a shooting before it even happened. Citizens can arm themselves against police tyranny and police abuse. Unarmed citizens are no match for armed police who have bullet proof vests and helmets and armored vehicles. They can and will slowly cause our country to become a police state, if we do not show them that we will fight back. Citizens must fight fire with fire in order to make the police respect them.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
But gun nuts want unrestricted gun use for everyone, including those who would use them for evil.
And how are you going to screen for evil? You do realize people can buy guns the same way they buy illegal drugs, on the black market?

You do realize that if someone wants to do evil they can go to Home Depot and buy rat poison or buy materials to make a pipe bomb and kill a lot of people?

You want us to unarm ourselves so that if an evil person walks into a restaurant and opens fire, we are totally unarmed and at their mercy? If you want to happen, then YOU are evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies