Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:33 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Unlike Republicans, Democrats have much deeper conflicts within their own policies:

Unions vs. illegal immigration
Teachers' unions vs. inner city kids
Gays vs. muslims
Opposition to "corporatism" and the 1% vs. policies that make the largest corporations even bigger and make the %1 even richer
Yes, that's for sure. It makes me angry when I hear that this administration defends Muslims, a gutter religion whose followers would kill all gays if They could. I also listen to that Sean Hannity hack talk about how Repubs care more for gays because they are standing against the Islamists. They have a perverse way of showing their love.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Sometimes, just like the Dems, they say what they think what you want to hear.
My experiences are real. I'm not making them up.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Yeah, but here's the thing: while many Republicans don't care of homosexuality, the majority of them aren't trying to have us killed. Islam is perfectly fine with killing gays. This is not to say all Muslims hate gay people, or that there aren't some conservatives who kill us or would if it was legal...but this is a situation of "lesser of two evils"...I'd choose living under a conservative government over and Islamic one.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:39 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,859 times
I used to think I was a Republican, but that was during the days of George Romney, Nelson Rockefeller, Gerald Ford and many others(even ol Trickie Dick) would now be labeled as a RINO if they were even given that much republican credit.

I find absolutism on both sides to be the lunatic fringes. There is indeed a middle, despite the protestations of Rush that moderates have no values.

It will take a long time for me to once again lean more to the Republican side of things. I firmly believe that we are a secular state, that has some basis in religion but that religion belongs in the home and the church and community, not in the courthouse, or the capital.

My husband and I have been together for 40 years and finally were able to get married in August. I do not want a country that says, because the Bible says so---yada, yada, yada. Because I see the fringe of the Republican pushing to that end, I became disappointed in the Republican party.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Very true, I have to keep that in mind. But IDK...the more liberal states up North tend to be much less friendly than the more conservative ones down South, now that I think about it, even if they see I'm not "one of them"...Maybe there's something to be said for that.
It's more of an urban-rural divide than anything else. As a gay brown Jew, I'm sure you'd fare very well in rural Mississippi or come swing by my area in PA, a hotbed of KKK activity. You ain't seen nothing yet. Unlike you, I grew up in the very rural Republican strongholds of this state right off I-80, and it's not the nice picture you're trying to think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Neither party is looking out for Americans. However, democrats have really lost their way.

At one time, democrats truly looked out for the poor, working and middle classes. Those democrats of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the work force all due to illegal immigration. Nor would they have tolerated H1-Bs taking jobs from Americans. They never would have supported amnesty for illegal aliens.

Today's democrats put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed American citizens. Dems today fight tooth and nail against securing the border and making E-verify the law of the land. That's a real shame. At one time I was a staunch democrat---now I'm an independent.

Dems are counting on low information voters to not realize that today's democrats are not their grandfather's democrats.

I'm half Hispanic and am constantly reading in threads that republicans are "demonizing" me. I have never felt that. As an independent, I've supported candidates on both sides of the aisle. Thus, I have been to fund raisers in support of republican candidates. Don't believe anyone who tells you that only old white men attend these functions. I've seen young people, black people and immigrants who are now naturalized US citizens. One event we sat at a table with a young woman who came here legally from El Salvador. Another time we sat with a man who came here from China. And guess what? All of them were made to feel welcome.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-06-2015 at 04:24 AM.. Reason: personal insults

Old 02-05-2015, 09:43 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Well Hawaii4ever, should you ever find yourself in Baltimore, this conservative will gladly buy you an adult beverage of your choice at a local watering hole of your choice.

Thanks for having an open mind, it's people like you who make me hopeful for the future.

PS. I'm a conservative who voted for gay marriage so no worries there for you.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:55 PM

1,347 posts, read 954,397 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I guess I'd consider myself a Centrist or a moderate Republican.
Each of the parties is an abomination; as a True Conservative I utterly despise the corporate wing of the republican party (for that alone I will not register as a republican until they repudiate that wing) and can only tolerate the religious wing slightly more, as some of it defends Israel.

But as you said, I reserve my greatest hatred and vitriol for the utterly, pathetically hypocritical democratic party - the model of hypocrisy, for the reasons you mention and several more, such as its lunatic embrace of illegal aliens which have destroyed a large part of the nation's economy.

I can understand why someone with your views has become disenchanted with the democraps, obama has shifted them very far left, and honestly, unless you are way out there with him he is not even interested in your vote, since he figures he has the central american, er "new american immigrant," voters locked up, but imagine what black americans must think about the democrap party, who have utterly sold them out.

If I was a middle class black living in the US right now, I'd be reviewing my options to move on a permanent basis to an African nation, as I would feel the US has completely screwed me over.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:19 PM

549 posts, read 456,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
I firmly believe that we are a secular state, that has some basis in religion but that religion belongs in the home and the church and community, not in the courthouse, or the capital.
Religion vs. state is yet another major conflict both parties suffer from. It doesn't matter which side you align with, as long as the state owns the definitions of marriage and religion, the conflict will persist.
However, only on the right there're people who want to get the state (especially, the federal government) completely out of this business. Laws that depend on beliefs and personal choices should be eliminated. This is the only way to resolve this conflict.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,077,427 times
Quote:
One of my biggest dreams would be to become a candidate to form and run in a Centrist Party. It might sound silly, I know. But most Americans are quite moderate in terms of politics, according to many polls. It might be the best answer and way to solve issues between the two parties not making any compromises and doing more to harm the country than to help it.
Im with you on every topic you speak of. Former Dem here, turned Independant. Welcome to the Center!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,211 times
Quote:
Very true, I have to keep that in mind. But IDK...the more liberal states up North tend to be much less friendly than the more conservative ones down South, now that I think about it, even if they see I'm not "one of them"...Maybe there's something to be said for that.
Its more complicated then that. Much more complicated. Putting it as simply as I can northerners tend to be much more direct with you, southerners tend to be polite. I wouldn't confuse that for acceptance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies