Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 10:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican.
Do you realize how completely absurd it is to say that as a Jew there's too much hatred for you to want to be a Republican? The hatred towards Jews is coming from the left, not the right.
Quote:
I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share.
Women do have equal pay and the rich already pay most of the taxes.

You should really look into learning the facts about things instead of just accepting liberal rhetoric.
Quote:
However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I guess I'd consider myself a Centrist or a moderate Republican.
You should look into what policies each party advocates and then pick the party that best supports policies you agree with.

You should not be choosing a party based on what the opposing party says about them or based on nebulous things like there being "too much hatred." When you vote for a party you are voting for environmental policies, taxation, education, gun control, abortion, immigration, foreign relations, deficit spending levels, labor union policies, domestic energy production, etc. Given this, basing your vote on there being "too much hatred" verges on the irresponsible. If you are going to cast a vote in the political process which will affect the lives of everyone in the country, you have a responsibility to make it an educated choice. If you would like lower taxes but vote for a Democrat who ends up raising everyone's taxes because you want women to have equal pay when 30 seconds of research on Google would have shown you that women already have equal pay then you have done a grave disservice to yourself and to everyone around you.

See the following link:
On Pay Gap, Millennial Women Near Parity

That clearly shows the effects of listening to liberal politicians who are more interested in exploiting a wedge issue for votes than they are in reality. The majority of millennial women believe changes are needed to make things equal and believe that women are making less than men for doing the same job. Yet, when polled about their own jobs, just as wide a majority say that the playing field is level. That's the influence of listening to propaganda. What they see in their own lives tells them things are equal, yet they believe that things aren't equal. Why? Because that's what they're told to believe.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
Unlike Republicans, Democrats have much deeper conflicts within their own policies:

Unions vs. illegal immigration
Teachers' unions vs. inner city kids
Gays vs. muslims
Opposition to "corporatism" and the 1% vs. policies that make the largest corporations even bigger and make the %1 even richer
Even so Democrats have substantially fewer conflicts now then they have had in the past. Democrats have always been a party of strange bedfellows.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:34 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
How can the op say that about the party of "Inclusion"?

Old 02-05-2015, 11:37 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

I'll give you credit for not being a mindless bot that drones on and on about Dear Leader..

Old 02-06-2015, 12:16 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
I'm not saying I'd be a Republican. As a gay man, a person of color and a Jew ( I know many hardcore far-right evangelicals hate us), right now there's too much hatred for me to truly want to be a Republican. I also think women should have equal pay, the right to choose, and that everyone should pay their fair share. However, I find myself having more in common with the Republicans than the Democrats. So many people in the left are just too PC to acknowledge problems we have in the world. Islamic terrorism being one of them. The far-left spreads lies about Israel, defending Hezbollah and Hamas (both of whom are terrorist groups who want to see the West destroyed), for no other reason than anti-Semitism and trying to appease Muslims. They also refuse to call ISIS and other terrorist groups "Islamic", because they're too afraid of offending people. Furthermore, there's a real lack of unity or God from that party. I'm not saying you have to be a hardcore Bible-thumper, but I think a real problem with our society today is that we "worship things instead of worshipping God". (And I don't have a problem with atheism, btw). I just feel like the Democratic Party used to be a beautiful thing and has become incredibly hypocritical, disappointing, and weak.

You do realize your entire post is about cosmetic arguments except the last line about the lack of unity or God( thats an opinion) ??????

Old 02-06-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
To answer another person who asked what far-left policies I'm annoyed with...look at San Francisco. Trying to ban eating meat or salt on certain days, trying to ban male circumcision. Look at far-left liberals who want to stop people from saying "Have a Blessed Day". Just because it might offend someone who isn't Christian--yes, this was in the news recently. And by the way, someone saying "Have a Blessed Day" doesn't have a particular connotation with a certain religion of any kind. It's just a kind act, but far-left liberals are so super politically correct that they are now saying we should take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance, stop saying "Have a Blessed Day", and be anti-Israel just because the extremist Palestinians are the "underdog", even if they are the terrorists in the situation over there. Another idiotic piece of crap from far-liberals--if you don't like Islam, you're called a racist, even though Islam isn't a race. It's awful and terrible to criticize Islam--to the point of saying that ISIS and the Paris shooters "aren't Islamic" or "aren't Muslim"--yet it's just fine for liberals to criticize Christianity of be anti-Jewish.

While I don't agree with many things the Republican Party stands for (or seemed to stand for), I respect their support for Israel, their love for America (instead of following the latest leftist trend of calling our troops "the real terrorists"), and their unity and family-feeling that they seem to have amongst each other.
1. The circumcision ban you are talking about was 3 years ago, and it was done by a group of people calling them selves intactavist, not the city or a political party. And the state of california didnt even put it on the ballot.

You are arguing that you are at odds with Democrats over something the Party and no party official had anything to do with.

2. No one wants to stop anyone from saying "have a blessed day". At this point in your post, it looks like you were untruthful in saying you were ever a Democrat. Your post is full of right wing rhetoric, not anything that Democrats actually did.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but here's the thing: while many Republicans don't care of homosexuality, the majority of them aren't trying to have us killed. Islam is perfectly fine with killing gays. This is not to say all Muslims hate gay people, or that there aren't some conservatives who kill us or would if it was legal...but this is a situation of "lesser of two evils"...I'd choose living under a conservative government over and Islamic one.
Which has nothing to do with Democrats seeing as no Democrat has advocated that you live under Islamic rule.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
As a gay white male who attended very liberal schools and colleges (UC Berkeley, UC Santa Cruz), I voted Democrat from the time I was 18 until I was about 35 (1971 --1988.)

It was at about that point that the Democrats became the party of "identity politics," according to which you were supposed to favor people for what they were (gay, female, non-white) regardless of their competence or positions on the issues.

I had already seen hints of this in the late seventies when left-leaning professors started to analyze society strictly in terms of race, gender and class. Not too long after, there was an article in Time or Newsweek about political correctness taking root in American universities. One example: a professor downgrading a student's defense of individual rights as "racist."

I also had a professor who showed our class what was obviously a Communist propaganda film that stated that California had more prisoners than any country in the world outside the U.S. I simply asked her, "What about the Soviet Gulag?" and was told I was being disruptive.

As a gay man, I had always thought that my best protection was respect for the rights of individuals to do as they pleased as long as they didn't harm others. But the left only seemed interested in group rights. Example, racial and gender preferences in college admissions, contracting, hiring and promotion that favored non-whites and women over white males.

As far as I was concerned, this was discrimination no less than excluding gays was discrimination.

There was also the question of how I would be treated as a hated white male "oppressor." Should I play the gay card at every opportunity? Why should I have to do that?

That card was pretty worthless under the Democrats, anyway, and still is (there is no affirmative action for gays that I know of.)

To sum up, by the late 1980s I found the Democrats hostile to the very concept of individual rights and fair dealing. Add to that their ever increasing tendency to try to shut people up ("You're disrupting the class"), their extremely crude and essentially racist and sexist reduction of everything to a question of race/gender/class, their demand for group loyalty no matter what, and an ever increasing tone of intolerance, and I was ready to vote Republican. I would only be confirmed in that choice when I experienced such lunacies in San Francisco as Democrats starting to tell you what you should eat, that you would kill people if you smoked cigarettes outside, etc.

What of the Democrats today?

They don't even pretend to care about the plight of the American worker as they embrace ever more immigration and illegal immigration in a challenging job market. That is truly ironic, since their main claim to fame in the 1950s and 1960s was supporting unions and the American worker.

They use race, gender and class as wedge issues. They are constantly portraying whites as evil racists, men as chauvinist pigs and rich people as selfish robber-barons.

They barely conceal their hatred and scorn for white people, capitalism, America, Western Civilization, Christians, Jews, and those they consider intellectually inferior to themselves.

They are always defending America's enemies, criminals and cheats. They claim to be so intellectually superior but if you argue with them, they end up name-calling because that's all they have.

Worst of all, they are hypocrites, flying in corporate jets while telling people to conserve energy, regarding Israel as a colonialist intruder but making no plans themselves to leave this country and give it back to the Native Americans, etc.

What about Republicans?

Antigay Christians have pretty much given up and even changed their minds. Witness the Mormon church calling for non-discrimination (apart from marriage) and the Catholic Church moderating its stance.

Other than whackjobs like Fred Phelps (whatever became of him, anyway?), the gay issue has disappeared except for what I consider a minor fight over the word "marriage" that gays have been winning.

I always knew that cultural changes combined with court rulings would resolve most of the gay issue. Obama himself was against gay marriage until recently. On the other hand, the fear that conservative President Reagan would quarantine gays at the beginning of the AIDS crisis never came to pass. And President Bush never said a word against gays that I know of.

Granted, there are probably some places in this country that still are not very friendly to gays. But that hasn't prevented the "gayborhoods" (gay ghettos) from disappearing as gays find more acceptance almost everywhere.

Most Republicans value individual rights and freedoms, and when they can't come up with compelling arguments to justify discrimination against gays, they support gays. Hence, conservative Sean Hannity's criticism of the treatment of gays in Muslim countries.

My only problem with Republicans right now is that the Establishment wing of the party wants illegal immigration as much as the Democrats want it.

But let's see, can I think of anything at all to say that's good about the Democrats?

Maybe it is a good thing that Obama has rejected American policing of the world. His rhetoric of "Blame America" and (today) "Blame Christians, too" is disgusting, but I believe other countries will finally step up to the plate against evil once they realize America isn't always going to be there to carry their water for them.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-06-2015 at 01:30 AM..

Old 02-06-2015, 01:36 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You're far too logical to be a democrat. And we don't care if you're gay or Jewish, white or black. The democrats only want you to think we care.

There you go telling the truth.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 02-06-2015 at 03:01 AM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 02-06-2015, 02:03 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
To answer another person who asked what far-left policies I'm annoyed with...look at San Francisco. Trying to ban eating meat or salt on certain days, trying to ban male circumcision. Look at far-left liberals who want to stop people from saying "Have a Blessed Day".
I am in the tech industry and in San Francisco monthly. I can assure you meat, salt and circumcision are available daily without a problem. As far as "Have a Blessed Day"-- you have just as much right to say it as I do to be annoyed by it. I don't want to "stop" people from saying it, and they shouldn't complain about my annoyance at the assumptive, arrogant way to end a conversation.

None of these positions are Democratic platform. These are simply the positions of a (very) few extremists who are sensationalized by certain segments of the media-- with the idea of creating antagonism towards progressives.

I don't hold any of these positions as a Democrat and I don't know anyone who does.

Maybe you're letting your impression of the Democratic platform be formed by a poor media diet? You seem to believe extremist positions are mainstream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies