Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you fall on the political spectrum?
Far right 7 9.09%
Right 12 15.58%
Centrist-leaning to right 16 20.78%
Centrist 10 12.99%
Centrist-leaning to left 18 23.38%
Left 14 18.18%
Far left 0 0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Oh yeah. agreed.
Which is the position I take. The position that everyone forgets, but is the most mainstream position in Hispanic-American politics and probably Asian-American politics too (though I think they are more social moderates). We are not social liberals or fiscal conservatives. For that fact, neither are most working class whites, they just don't know it anymore

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-18-2017 at 09:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2017, 09:18 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which is the position I take. The position that everyone forgets, but is the most mainstream position in Hispanic-American politics and probably Asian-American politics too (though I think they are more social moderates). We are not social liberals or fiscal conservatives. For that fact, neither are most working class whites, they just don't know it anymore
Everyone has a right to their opinions, but to me, that is completely insane. The republicans are half insane, and the democrats are half insane. To me, fiscally liberal and socially conservative is taking the two insane halves of both parties and putting them together to form a completely insane package.

Socially conservative and fiscally liberal basically says to me that you want the government to be completely involved in every single aspect of our lives.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:32 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
I started out a Barry Goldwater conservative. That would make me liberal today. I have not changed opinions much.

Pay your bills on time, mind your own business, don't hurt anybody.

That don't hurt anybody stuff includes poisoning everybody's air and water for profit.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Everyone has a right to their opinions, but to me, that is completely insane. The republicans are half insane, and the democrats are half insane. To me, fiscally liberal and socially conservative is taking the two insane halves of both parties and putting them together to form a completely insane package.

Socially conservative and fiscally liberal basically says to me that you want the government to be completely involved in every single aspect of our lives.
That's mainstream African-American, Hispanic-American, and mostly Asian-American politics. It's only white Americans that deal in this socially liberal, fiscally conservative or socially conservative, fiscal conservative nonsense.

Even so, most of us non-white Americans (who aren't black anyway) are socially conservative and fiscally liberal, we don't give a dang about legislating social issues.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:56 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's mainstream African-American, Hispanic-American, and mostly Asian-American politics. It's only white Americans that deal in this socially liberal, fiscally conservative or socially conservative, fiscal conservative nonsense.

Even so, most of us non-white Americans (who aren't black anyway) are socially conservative and fiscally liberal, we don't give a dang about legislating social issues.
Just an observation, but "non-white Americans who aren't black" is another way of saying relatively recent immigrants.

So I'm wondering, the minority of Asians and Hispanics that have been here for generations, who do they more closely resemble?

As an example, I don't think George Takei could be called socially conservative by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Just an observation, but "non-white Americans who aren't black" is another way of saying relatively recent immigrants.

So I'm wondering, the minority of Asians and Hispanics that have been here for generations, who do they more closely resemble?

As an example, I don't think George Takei could be called socially conservative by any stretch of the imagination.
And yet that is where the direction we're headed, demographically. For Hispanics, it's tied to Catholicism, Catholicism basically preaches social conservatism and fiscal liberalism.

Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
when I can't find any facts to back up my point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies