Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 01:45 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

I know many, many liberals that appear to be happier than me.

Oh that's right I work for a living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 01:47 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,884,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I know many, many liberals that appear to be happier than me.

Oh that's right I work for a living.
Kinda sucks, don't it?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:50 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Many studies show that conservatives are happier than liberals, as the articles below indicate. This appears to be true regardless of country. Why do you think that is?

http://www.psych.nyu.edu/jost/Napier...han%20libe.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/op...st-of-all.html

Study proves conservatives are happier than liberals. Thank God and the cigars – Telegraph Blogs

Are conservatives happier? - The Washington Post
More women are liberals than conservative. Stands to reason the liberal men are getting nagged more.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:00 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
I've said this in other posts--liberals don't have the same sense of community as conservatives. I used to define myself as a liberal--now I certainly don't and realize I agree with more of the conservative side of things (although I don't know I'd call myself a Republican). When I was a "liberal", I noticed people were so worried about being PC, and saying the "right" thing so as not to offend anyone. Even if they themselves didn't agree about or care about a cause, they'd stand up for it anyways so they could be seen as "better than conservatives" or "less prejudiced". They would denounce religion and spending a lot of time with family because they wanted to be seen as "smarter" or "more sophisticated". I got caught up in all this crap and distanced myself from family and from my faith. I was miserable, depressed, and at times considered suicide.

Then I moved back in with my family, and was happier. I started to go to synagogue and pray more, and I felt much happier. The sense of community was there. I now make jokes that aren't PC, and frankly, I don't really care if someone is offended or shocked--more often than not, people laugh at my jokes rather than get offended. I accept that life is unfair, and that while we should try and help others as often as we can, nobody will make the world a perfect place (which many liberals try to do).

Another thing is that the liberals have more diversity in their party, so there's a lot of conflicting interests that prevent from having as much of a unified community feel as Republicans do. This is not to say that all liberals are unhappy or all conservatives are happy, though.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:01 PM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times
Because ignorance is bliss.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:04 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
It's like no one on this forum is capable of being unbiased. You people are all the same...

Conservatives are much more likely to be well off, or at least living in comfort. There are plenty of happy liberals, but those living in poverty are going to be less happy and bring the numbers down (and people living in poverty tend to lean liberal).

It has nothing to do with intelligence. In fact, smarter people are usually less happy according to most studies. But as always, it's far easier to pick and choose studies that admit you might be wrong. But hey, at least those people are happy.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:08 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Conservatives never spend their time being poutraged by every little thing. Liberals to a one are unhappy, angry, miserable people. You see it daily in their posts here.

Amen!!!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:11 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Because living in a country full of right-wingers sucks. They constantly hold this nation back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
It's hilarious that an ideology that attracts so many hateful bigots...
Oh the irony...

Old 02-08-2015, 02:17 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
Quote:
Many studies show that conservatives are happier than liberals, as the articles below indicate. This appears to be true regardless of country. Why do you think that is?

http://www.psych.nyu.edu/jost/Napier...han%20libe.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/op...st-of-all.html

Study proves conservatives are happier than liberals. Thank God and the cigars – Telegraph Blogs

Are conservatives happier? - The Washington Post
I suspect that all of those articles were written by conservatives.

I know for a fact that it's not true in America. Conservatives in America do more complaining (about everything) than liberals do so they can't be very happy (unless they have something to complain about). And the conservative vs. liberal concept is irrelevant in other countries because it doesn't mean the same thing in other countries that it does in America.

You said this appears to be true regardless of country. I dispute that because this whole American concept of conservative vs. liberal, right vs. left is pretty much meaningless in other countries. People in most other countries don't have a clue what Americans are going on about when they hear about conservative vs. liberal and their complaints. The entire concept is an American bi-partisan idiosyncracy and obsession that Americans are fixated on and have twisted all out of normal context.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Why Are Conservatives Happier Than liberals?
Because they're more delusional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
First of all, they are a lot smarter than liberals. If they weren't smart, they would be liberals and very unhappy...
Thanks for the confirmation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies