Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 04:30 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Many studies show that conservatives are happier than liberals, as the articles below indicate. This appears to be true regardless of country. Why do you think that is?

http://www.psych.nyu.edu/jost/Napier...han%20libe.pdf

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/op...st-of-all.html

Study proves conservatives are happier than liberals. Thank God and the cigars – Telegraph Blogs

Are conservatives happier? - The Washington Post

Liberals have a much higher incidence of affective disorders, which may be, in part, what makes them liberals. It may be a "chicken or the egg" type scenario, however, in that liberals are often very angry and such behavior perpetuated would tend to make one a despondent individual.

Just take a look at the cast on MSNBC- they are pissed off all of the time. Maintaining such anger and negativity can only be corrosive to one's soul and a general disposition in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 04:38 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,095,695 times
it's hard to be happy when you are constantly around selfish, self centered people if you personally aren't selfish and self centered.

I just saw a comment a conservative wrote comparing Hillary Clinton to hitler because she said society's needs should come before an individual's needs (Something hitler said as well). How can I be happy when these people are my neighbors?

Also, ayn rand. I realize she's your goddess, but her self centered view point (selfish actions at all costs, personal happiness is number 1) can get a person down every once in a while. where's your God in all of this whom you fight so much for? Jesus was all about helping others. Another thing that gets me down, your hypocrisy.

In short, I care for other humans, while most conservatives don't and this can cause internal conflict.

but, I've become better. If I find out someone is a conservative, I just expect them to self centered hypocrites and am never disappointed when they act that way. They are conservatives, you can't expect them to act like decent humans. I think if more non conservatives felt this way (you can't change conservatives, they are just bad people, expect the worst from them) they would be happier.

* I'm not really a liberal, but I really dislike conservatives.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:42 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Because the world sucks; conservatives are okay with that and liberals are not okay with that?
Partially true. Liberals tend to imagine a utopia that cannot be matched in real life. I must confess reality is not as great as having a blonde, brunette and redhead in my bed but reality ain't that bad.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
it's hard to be happy when you are constantly around selfish, self centered people if you personally aren't selfish and self centered.

I just saw a comment a conservative wrote comparing Hillary Clinton to hitler because she said society's needs should come before an individual's needs (Something hitler said as well). How can I be happy when these people are my neighbors?

Also, ayn rand. I realize she's your goddess, but her self centered view point (selfish actions at all costs, personal happiness is number 1) can get a person down every once in a while. where's your God in all of this whom you fight so much for? Jesus was all about helping others. Another thing that gets me down, your hypocrisy.

In short, I care for other humans, while most conservatives don't and this can cause internal conflict.

but, I've become better. If I find out someone is a conservative, I just expect them to self centered hypocrites and am never disappointed when they act that way. They are conservatives, you can't expect them to act like decent humans.
I don't expect liberals to understand Adam Smith's Invisible Hand.

I don't expect liberals to understand that their war on poverty has produced nothing but human misery.

I will say liberals are very generous---with other people's money.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:26 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,667 times
I would imagine that the more ignorant and selfish you are, the happier you would be these days.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
I would imagine that the more ignorant and selfish you are, the happier you would be these days.
Yes, Obama's policies certainly reward the ignorant and selfish. It is off topic though since most of those individuals are liberals.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:35 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,523,676 times
Because most conservatives can't even imagine a position in life where they'd be unable to recover from. Liberals tend to live in major cities, so they've seen those harsh falls and know the realities of life. Then liberals have to turn around and try to convince conservatives to stop being such tightwads and help, but they're so greedy and self centered that they Monday morning quarterback everyone elses lives.

I lived in a conservative area, that place was freaking miserably boring and uneducated. But... they never changed anything. Mississippi is happy, it's a run down hell hole that I wouldn't be happy in but it's happy.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:35 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
We're people queried during Happy Hour"?

Old 02-08-2015, 05:48 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
I suspect liberals are simply angrier deep down and alway looking for an excuse to get offended by something.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
We're people queried during Happy Hour"?
We're people? Ya might want to sit the wine glass down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies