Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 PM

549 posts, read 456,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Christianity was absolutely born in violence. Have you never even skimmed the bible?
I kind of have (non-believer). So I may be wrong saying that during the early days of Christianity the violence was towards the Christians, while since the early days of islam the violence was by the muslims. If I'm wrong, please, point it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
And Christianity has had a lot more time to develop and learn how to manage the crazies. People were doing horrid things in the name of Christianity even as recently as US history. For example: witch trials.
This is what I'm trying to understand. We all live in the same century, sharing the same knowledge and fully aware of the experiences of other cultures. So why does an age of a religion or ideology matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:21 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
You should read more, and worry less.

Non-Muslims Carried Out More than 90% of All Terrorist Attacks in America | Global Research

Study: Threat of Muslim-American terrorism in U.S. exaggerated - CNN.com

Statistically, there are lots of things you should be more worried about.
9/11 Anniversary: 45 Terror Plots Foiled in Last 10 Years - The Daily Beast

Old 02-08-2015, 08:25 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Many women all over the world are treated badly by the men in their lives. Some of them are Muslim.

Spend some time in India to see how poorly women are treated.
You're right about India. Not all those Indian women are Muslims, to be sure.

However---we are talking about Muslims and you are making excuses for them. When they move to Westernized countries, treating women so abhorrently is not tolerated. They want to live in a culture that doesn't believe in treating women and girls badly, then they need to assimilate into that culture. If they don't like it, then the Western world is not for them.

I don't find it acceptable to see a Muslim man in jeans and a t-shirt while his wife who is walking behind him is covered from head to toe. If it's okay for him to dress in a Western fashion, it's okay for her to also do so.

I don't find it acceptable hearing about a 12-year old who is forced to get engaged to a man in another country that she has never met. And, yes, that happened to one of my daughter's classmates. Sometime after the school year ended, the family sold their halal store and left town. Since the daughter was engaged to a man in Pakistan, I fear that's where the family went. I think of that poor girl a lot. I used to volunteer in the schools and every time I worked with her and paid her a compliment, she was touched and would tell me that she liked me saying such things.

I don't find it acceptable to hear about a young woman in her early 20s, who was shy but always had a smile and a wave for you when she walked down the street, running away from home only to return home and never be seen again taking walks. And, no, the family didn't leave---they still live in the neighborhood. I often wonder what became of that young woman.

I have no patience for seeing women and girls being treated so badly. It's bad enough when it happens in their own countries but when they move to the Western world and this continues, it's despicable.

Those Muslim women who are doctors, etc. --- if I had to guess, their families are secular Muslims. In other words, they call themselves Muslims but do not belong to a mosque. If they are not secular, then their families are very enlightened. Such enlightenment is not tolerated in Muslim countries.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:29 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
That list isn't only Islamic terrorism. Still, 45 in 10 years? And most were small time or were never to the point of being a threat.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Throughout all of history, perhaps. Nowadays, certainly not.

As for those stats--http://www.wzb.eu/en/press-release/islamic-fundamentalism-is-widely-spread

Unusual Answer from Panelist Receives Standing Ovation at Benghazi Coalition Meeting | CNS News
Brigitte Gabriel is awesome.

Here is another video where a so-called "moderate" Muslim gets called out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjpqiCxc4o

Old 02-08-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Brigitte Gabriel is awesome.

Here is another video where a so-called "moderate" Muslim gets called out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPjpqiCxc4o
And she has a point that conservatives miss...you cant win a war against an ideology with force. And you definitely cant do it by alienating the only ones who have a chance to solve it in their own communities.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You should read more, and worry less.

Non-Muslims Carried Out More than 90% of All Terrorist Attacks in America | Global Research

Study: Threat of Muslim-American terrorism in U.S. exaggerated - CNN.com

Statistically, there are lots of things you should be more worried about.
And this is the actual list: FBI — Terrorism 2002/2005
Do you expect me to worry about an Assault by Revolutionary Communist Youth Brigade, or Attempted Arson by Animal Rights Extremists more than 9/11? Not going to happen.

Now, from this very list, the number of total deaths: 3178; by islamists: 2984. That's 94%.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
And she has a point that conservatives miss...you cant win a war against an ideology with force.
But we can and must block this ideology from spreading into our beautiful land.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvega View Post
But we can and must block this ideology from spreading into our beautiful land.
Not a fan of the First Amendment?

Old 02-08-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
And she has a point that conservatives miss...you cant win a war against an ideology with force. And you definitely cant do it by alienating the only ones who have a chance to solve it in their own communities.
Yet they steadfastly refuse to solve it in their own communities.

Look at those brave Muslims who stick their necks out and speak out against terrorism and poor treatment of gays, women and girls. The so-called moderate peace-loving Muslims refuse to back them up and instead leaving them twisting in the wind while the brave ones have fatwas placed on them. If the so-called moderates want change, then why won't they stand in solidarity with the brave ones?

There is a man in the Twin Cities who is a Somali Muslim. He spends his time working to keep young Muslims from joining terrorist groups. Yet no Muslims offer to help him. When he goes to mosques and asks to speak to their youth, some mosques refuse to allow him entry. Where are the "peace-loving" Muslims and why aren't they working with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies