Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If you had a kid before you could afford it, you didn't plan properly.
You cut and pasted the post, I have nothing more to say to people like you who zero on a point because there's no getting through to posters like you. I suggest reading the ENTIRE POST and thinking about it before posting replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Really?

I'm not saying it is impossible to get a job. I'm saying calling people lazy for not having a job is making a very disingenuous assumption. Prove that laziness it the reason. Better yet, there are other things I can mention in addition to laziness.

Just because there are jobs doesn't mean everyone is considered to be qualified for those jobs. Many people don't get hired because they aren't what the employer wants. Many don't get hired because of reasons including: they don't fit in with the company dynamic, overqualified, underqualified, prison record, too much competition with someone else.

Evidence of a job existing does not constitute the guarantee that you will get that job.
What you wrote is absolutely true. There are applicants at the company that I work for getting turned away on a weekly basis. And we have positions that need to be filled. Many just aren't qualified and some are bad prospects. Most companies aren't willing to hire just anyone. The quality of a company's workforce affects the bottom line. And quality workers are in short supply these days.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:18 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Civil war and a huge increase in crime!

Old 02-19-2015, 04:46 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,924,139 times
If Welfare disappeared tomorrow for everyone who isn't disabled what would happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Miller View Post
I bet the rate of HS completion would notch up to 100%.
I'm uncertain the rate of HS completion would reach towards 100%. Although I'd like to ask you a question. How much & what type of 'collateral damage' would be acceptable to you if it vanished?

In other words, fr'instance, when designing a car, the cost of building a 'notched up to 100%' safe car would most likely drive the price up to the point where it was too expensive for most people to buy. Car designers/manufacturers consider this when designing.

I'm considering your proposition as a sortof 'thought experiment.' If Welfare disappeared overnight, how much & what type of 'collateral damage' would be acceptable to you?

Old 02-19-2015, 09:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
If you had a kid before you could afford it, you didn't plan properly.
you can't push a kid back in once oyu have him/her...

there is no full proof plan when it comes to the future.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:25 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
you can't push a kid back in once oyu have him/her...

there is no full proof plan when it comes to the future.
I agree that some decisions are irreversible. But that does not absolve one from taking responsibility for their decisions.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 AM

73,007 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
What you wrote is absolutely true. There are applicants at the company that I work for getting turned away on a weekly basis. And we have positions that need to be filled. Many just aren't qualified and some are bad prospects. Most companies aren't willing to hire just anyone. The quality of a company's workforce affects the bottom line. And quality workers are in short supply these days.
There are alot of people desperate for jobs, and can't always get them. People who say "there are jobs out there" don't take into account that a company won't hire just anyone.

When someone says "the unemployed are just lazy", it is not only intellectually dishonest, but factually dishonest. It reeks of hubris as well.

There is also something else to consider. Sometimes you can fit every qualification for the job, and it doesn't guarantee that you'll get the job.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:44 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
When someone says "the unemployed are just lazy", it is not only intellectually dishonest, but factually dishonest. It reeks of hubris as well.
I have never heard anyone (except you) say that.

Quote:
There is also something else to consider. Sometimes you can fit every qualification for the job, and it doesn't guarantee that you'll get the job.
This is true. I've been unemployed twice and worked very hard to find another job.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I have never heard anyone (except you) say that.
I have, on this thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/38488821-post160.html

Quote:
This is true. I've been unemployed twice and worked very hard to find another job.
It happened to my father a few times.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Civil war and a huge increase in crime!
And a huge increase in child abandonment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies