Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should schools teach about sex education?
Abstinence is only choice 1 2.63%
Having sex is only choice 1 2.63%
Abstinence is best but some will have sex so birth control 13 34.21%
This shouldn't be taught in school at all 5 13.16%
Both sides 7 18.42%
This is why I dislike the public school system 2 5.26%
Keep it strictly on biological functions, like menstruation 14 36.84%
Other (explain) 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 12:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,518,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't believe the public schools should be teaching sex education. That is the responsibility of the parents. I know we don't live in a perfect world, but government and public education are too biased in their teachings to teach all the aspects of sexual interaction between adults. Furthermore, elementary school is too early to be teaching sex ed.
I don't know what they do now, but back in my days (early '70s), the school did not teach "all aspects of sexual interaction."

Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,883,972 times
I think they need to present it like this that having sex as a teen is a bad idea that will result perhaps in pregnancy, disease and self esteem issues. That if you are to engage in behavior to protect one's self. They shouldn't be talking about how fun sex is (though we know it is) because teens can't handle it.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,089,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I think they need to present it like this that having sex as a teen is a bad idea that will result perhaps in pregnancy, disease and self esteem issues. That if you are to engage in behavior to protect one's self. They shouldn't be talking about how fun sex is (though we know it is) because teens can't handle it.
And why can't teens handle it? On what reality are you basing this off of?

Disease? Yeah, that can happen. To anyone of any age. In fact, the chances of that happening likely increase with age.

Pregnancy? Indeed, even more the reason to teach proper birth control. This will also help with the disease part.

Low self esteem? That has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with adults and other teens shaming people, particularly girls, for having sex. Sex won't create low self esteem.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
This is exactly what I was taught. They only people talking about 'fun' were students, not teachers.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I don't believe the public schools should be teaching sex education. That is the responsibility of the parents. I know we don't live in a perfect world, but government and public education are too biased in their teachings to teach all the aspects of sexual interaction between adults. Furthermore, elementary school is too early to be teaching sex ed.
I understand that they are teaching alternatives to intercourse and that is dangerous.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,979,629 times
We were taught about our periods....period!

Of course, abstinence is great, but VERY unrealistic! I think kids learn whether it's taught at home or school or not at all...otherwise, there would be a severe population decrease!!

Kids need to know that sex leads to babies.....and they should know how NOT to get pregnant. It should be basic biology...nothing else.

And yes....it's hormones that push kids into sex.....the body craves it!
It was attempted (in school) to teach me algebra....but I didn't go off the deep end with X=Y+2!!!! A kid who learns basic biology will not become promiscuous because of the lesson!!!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I understand that they are teaching alternatives to intercourse and that is dangerous.
Unless they're teaching getting hickies from vampires, what could be dangerous?

Old 02-09-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
And why can't teens handle it? On what reality are you basing this off of?

Disease? Yeah, that can happen. To anyone of any age. In fact, the chances of that happening likely increase with age.

Pregnancy? Indeed, even more the reason to teach proper birth control. This will also help with the disease part.

Low self esteem? That has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with adults and other teens shaming people, particularly girls, for having sex. Sex won't create low self esteem.
Teens aren't emotionally capable of dealing with sex and yes they should all be virgins. However, we know this isn't the case because of our society and glamorizing sex. They aren't told that the boy who gets them pregnant will probably not stick around or that if they are male the girl may get pregnant to attempt to trap them. They aren't told that having sex early could ruin their lives in so many ways, including being alone the rest of their lives or the person they are having sex with is using them.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Unless they're teaching getting hickies from vampires, what could be dangerous?
The other alternatives, which are fun but can lead to other things. Like the thing Clinton said wasn't sex. Way too many kids are doing that.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:38 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,630,840 times
Quote:
The other alternatives, which are fun but can lead to other things. Like the thing Clinton said wasn't sex. Way too many kids are doing that.
Are they? Sometimes I think adults have overactive imaginations when it comes to teen sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies