Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What should schools teach about sex education?
Abstinence is only choice 1 2.63%
Having sex is only choice 1 2.63%
Abstinence is best but some will have sex so birth control 13 34.21%
This shouldn't be taught in school at all 5 13.16%
Both sides 7 18.42%
This is why I dislike the public school system 2 5.26%
Keep it strictly on biological functions, like menstruation 14 36.84%
Other (explain) 5 13.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 01:01 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Your excuses are boundless. Let's bring back chastity belts! That'll teach 'em.
No but bringing back the idea that waiting for sex is really cool. That they will be giving their partner something wonderful. I guarantee this mindset would result in less out of wedlock children and less welfare.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:02 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
That sounds like an interesting story, could you post it? I mention that because I have heard many other parents pull their kids because of this. A friend of mine is Catholic and was horrified that the school was teaching contrary to her beliefs.
My daughter attended Catholic high school. The Health Class instructor put a condom over her head to demonstrate it will accommodate. Made quite an impression.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:04 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
My daughter attended Catholic high school. The Health Class instructor put a condom over her head to demonstrate it will accommodate. Made quite an impression.
Silly Catholics. A condom over the head provides no protection.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:05 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
I think they need to present it like this that having sex as a teen is a bad idea that will result perhaps in pregnancy, disease and self esteem issues. That if you are to engage in behavior to protect one's self. They shouldn't be talking about how fun sex is (though we know it is) because teens can't handle it.
I would bet they do teach all the things you describe. as to the fun of sex you think they should keep that a secret? kids are not stupid.

Quote:
I understand that they are teaching alternatives to intercourse and that is dangerous.
ahh, don't they call that the "provo push"? millions of young teens and adults have a full and complete sex life without having penetration. they do not get pregnant and remain a "virgin" this has come to be an acceptable way for young people.

Quote:
Teens aren't emotionally capable of dealing with sex and yes they should all be virgins. However, we know this isn't the case because of our society and glamorizing sex. They aren't told that the boy who gets them pregnant will probably not stick around or that if they are male the girl may get pregnant to attempt to trap them. They aren't told that having sex early could ruin their lives in so many ways, including being alone the rest of their lives or the person they are having sex with is using them.
I would think yes, they are told boys only want sex and an unplanned pregnancy can ruin their lives. however some of these "issues" are life lessons that are not learned in school but when you go through and experience it for yourself. many things can be taught but kids don't think it will either happen to them or they don't believe they will get pregnant "this time".

Old 02-09-2015, 01:05 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
But is it fair when those on the left push the idea that everyone should have sex and make fun of virgins? Both sides are extremists.
Oh please...no ones forcing them to have sex. They're simply saying when you do, and almost certainly all of them will of their own accord, they need to be safe.

I guess the left is also forcing people to be gay since their marriages are legal right?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:08 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Oh please...no ones forcing them to have sex. They're simply saying when you do, and almost certainly all of them will of their own accord, they need to be safe.

I guess the left is also forcing people to be gay since their marriages are legal right?
The left: "everyone should have sex with as many people as possible and if you get pregnant the taxpayers will support you and you'll have a great life".

The right: "sex is sinful and shouldn't have before marriage".

Neither side is right.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:08 PM

Quote:
No but bringing back the idea that waiting for sex is really cool. That they will be giving their partner something wonderful. I guarantee this mindset would result in less out of wedlock children and less welfare.
Again , teen pregnancy peaked in 1957, back when parents and schools either said nothing or limited it to abstinence. Current teen pregnancy rates are at the lowest point since 1946.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The left: "everyone should have sex with as many people as possible and if you get pregnant the taxpayers will support you and you'll have a great life".

Neither side is right.
What's up with the absolute thinking thing?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:12 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
Quote:

Neither side is right.
I've not heard either quote, by anyone. Where are you getting these ideas?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:14 PM

That " Pregnant at 16" Show has likely made a valuable contribution to the substantially declining rates of teen pregnancy. Maybe someone should create a " Pregnant at 28" show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies