Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 12:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
First the Bill of Rights absolutely has more clout than does the amendments that follow them. The Bill of Rights was added to the constitution in order to get states to sign on to the constitution. They were part of the deal, without them some of the states would not agree to the constitution. That being the case, violating the amendments in the Bill of Rights is really breaking the contract that is our federal union. You say violating the 10th amendment is ok??? Well that amounts to nullifying our constitution. Freedom of speech and the right to bear arms are also often assaulted by liberals, and with the same constitutional consequences.
No it doesn't, but thanks for playing . We have 150 years of precedent that say the first 10 amendments don't trump others that come after. No one is violating the 10th amendment at all. A state has every right to dictate it's marriage laws. It just has to guarantee it's done on an equal level. The state of AL could decide tomorrow that all applicants for marriage are required to swallow fire and juggling while singing Dixie if they wanted to. As long as they require it by everyone

Quote:
Now the equal protection clause wielded by liberals like a club, the one that you cited along with countless other supporters of this judicial tyranny in this thread could be used for many other fringe causes. The first group that comes to mind is the polygamists, they are being denied equal protection under the laws too are they not??? Should they also have the right to marry who they want??? If you don't support their right to marry 10 women then you must be a bigot right??? What about people who want to marry their cousin, or sister???? They are out there, they have rights too. How about people who want to marry an animal, or themselves??? We have laws banning ex cons from voting in some states, they have paid for their crime right??? those laws could be challenged using this clause In the 14th amendment. The law makes judgments about behavior all the time(discriminates), and homosexuality is a behavior. Also the 14th amendment was written to protect the rights of racial minorities, not the rights of every fringe group that would rise up over the next 150 years. They (congress) could never have imagined the causes it would be used for or it would have been more specifically worded.

You are stretching the meaning a bit. An animal isn't capable of consent and people aren't denied equality by no being allowed to marry multiple partners. Furthermore A state can deny people access to the 14th amendment if the state has legitimate interests to do so. Such as restricting the rights of criminals.

Quote:

The state of Alabama has every right to pass laws that reflect its value system. So does the state of Massachusetts. If you cannot live with Alabama gay marriage bans then you are free to move to a northern state that has willingly passed laws allowing for gay marriage. Different regions of the nation have different values, and the beauty of a free nation is that we can move to where we feel comfortable. What we don't have the right to do is use the federal power to violate the rights of the states or people of the south because the prevailing political power in Washington currently is in the hands of radical liberals. These tactics will not force the people of the south or any other red states to accept gay marriage, it will make them bitter, angry and even more resentful of extreme federal power. Pick up a history book and look and see how we have reacted to overbearing federal power in the past. I am not saying this issue could cause secession or civil war, but this heaped on with all the other insults could contribute to an environment where it becomes more possible. Has anyone seen those billboards here in the south that say "secede", or does anyone remember the petitions signed by millions in 2012 that called for the secession of many conservative states after Obama was restored to his throne in 12'? If you violate peoples rights they become angry, and it shows you have no respect for the rights of people who don't hold the values that northern liberals expect they should have.

You mean the past where you had a disproportional amount of authority due to the fact you owned slaves? The one where you fomented sedition because you feared your ability to have free labor might be interrupted because black people might be viewed as *gasp!* human beings? Your reaction also devastated the south for about 80 years, with them no fully recovering until the second world war. No one cares if you can't stand gay people or don't even believe its morally should get married. People do care they you say they can't get married because you personally don't believe they should be able to though.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:41 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,048,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You're projecting. I'm waiting for you to post even the beginning of a response to what I actually wrote. All you've been doing is complaining that I posted, polluting the thread with your pointlessly tangential nonsense. How about staying on topic instead of engaging in metadiscussion?
The below is a sweeping generalization that is wrong and likely based off you looking at the world through your extreme bias and obvious hatred of a certain group of people who you call "right wingers" in rant after tiresome rant. Since you don't like this pointed out, you continue to try and turn this around on me. Like I said, don't know who you think you're fooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Right-wingers typically don't know many people of color in the South well enough for them to be trusted with the true stories of living as a person of color in the South. I suspect that in the three months I've lived here I've had more substantive heart-felt interchanges with people of various minority constituencies, including people of color, about the intolerance, discrimination, and racism they experience in the South, than most right-wingers in the South have had in their lifetime.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:50 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,291,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
just because its legal doesn't mean its the right thing.
I didn't mention "legal".

First I mentioned how your bigot grand-relatives stated something, and were wrong.

Second, I mentioned how your political ilk is apt to condemn publicly that which they do in the closet.

Legal or not, they should not do that which they condemn. Period!

Old 02-10-2015, 12:55 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,456,602 times
And now an ordained minister has been arrested for attempting to perform a same-sex wedding in a county clerk's office in Alabama.

Alabama minister arrested after offering to perform same-sex marriage

An ordained minister. Arrested.

So much for "religious freedom," right, ultracons?

Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And now an ordained minister has been arrested for attempting to perform a same-sex wedding in a county clerk's office in Alabama.

Alabama minister arrested after offering to perform same-sex marriage

An ordained minister. Arrested.

So much for "religious freedom," right, ultracons?
Until I know for sure that ministers are regularly permitted to perform heterosexual marriages in the clerk's office, I wouldn't get too upset about that. It does not appear that she was arrested after offering to perform same-sex marriage but rather for insisting on doing so in the clerk's office. Does anyone know what the regular practice (for heterosexual marriages in the clerks' offices) is in Alabama?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:00 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They are against a minority getting special rights.
Since when are equal rights considered special rights..

Old 02-10-2015, 01:01 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and then ten to twenty years from now you same idiots will be fighting for paedophiles rights to have sex with minors. give it time.
Nope. I am pretty clear on the differences between the phrase "consenting adult" and the word "minor". If you're not, remember that google is your friend.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:02 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I don't care. You don't understand the South. You're just a partisan who defines your ideas as "progress" so therefore people who don't agree with you are backwards. That makes you the bigot.
I lived in the South. How can he not understand?

If he does not understand, then please explain what it is about the South that needs to be understood.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:03 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Certainly didn't require an amendment to force businesses to serve gay ppl. All you have to do is claim discrimination. They can do the same to churches who conduct public weddings.
No, those are STATE anti-discrimination laws and they apply to BUSINESSES.

I know with all the money that churches bring in it can be easy to confuse them with businesses, but the are two separate things in regards to the law.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,699,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Nope. I am pretty clear on the differences between the phrase "consenting adult" and the word "minor". If you're not, remember that google is your friend.
Absolutely correct. There are directions that marriage equality could go, after it is secured for homosexuals, but having sex with minors or animals or toasters has nothing to do with this matter at all. It's just a childish game anti-gay bigots play to try to add shock value to their morally bereft opposition to same-sex marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies