Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM

37,952 posts, read 17,848,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I don't care if you or anyone else personally accepts my marriage. You can pretend I'm not married all day long. Go for it. It has no impact on my life in any way.
Except that's not the case, you want to shove it down others throats.

And you do so care. YOU want ME to VOTE yes on accepting same sex marriages. Mob rule strikes again. You're all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
If other laws require you to treat homosexuals the same as everyone else then your problem is with those laws, and you can try to get those laws overturned.
You missed the point yet again, I don't need laws to force me to treat individuals the same when it comes to same sex marriage. I'm trying to stop people like you from using force to make others accept it.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
That is not discrimination based on sex. Geeze, if I said, only men can sit at the lunch counter THAT discriminates based on sex. If I say all men, regardless of their sexual attraction can marry a woman, and all women regardless of their sexual attraction can marry a man, there is no discrimination based on sex.

Americans did not define marriage, they just didn't redefine it after it had existed within civilization before anyone on your list.
That is exactly what the laws are doing. they are saying that only men can marry women ( a distinction of sex)

It is like saying that interracial marriage bans are perfectly legal because everyone could marry someone of their same race so everyone was treated equally.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:23 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yes, spousal benefits are huge.
If I were a gay business man and wanted to stick out and succeed I'd be all for government getting out of the marriage business and then I'd go out of my way to make it known that my company grants same sex couples marital benefits. I'd be a huge success, fishing from a bigger pond. There has to be some stories of businesses that recognized that before it became/becomes law.
Tons of businesses did. Still didn't help with legal recognition in court or visitation rights in hospitals or immigration rights, to name a few.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
That's right. Because there is no discrimination based on the sex/gender of the individuals who seek a marriage license. They just have to be a man and a woman. Straight or gay doesn't matter, just one man and one woman.
If there were no discrimination based on sex then I would be able to marry anyone of any sex.

920 posts, read 633,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's an exact and perfect analogy -except jjrose got it backwards. Every time marriage law is changed, marriage is redefined. Every time voting law is changed, voting is redefined.

Voting is defined by voting law. Civil marriage is defined by marriage law. So yes, marriage is being redefined by eliminating bans on gay marriage just like voting was redefined when bans of women and black people from voting were eliminated.
Wrong. Laws relating to marriage do not relate to the definition of marriage, they relate to the qualifications to get married. The qualifications do not change the basic elements, i.e., one man, one woman...just the age of the elements and perhaps citizenship of the basic elements. But the definition of marriage has always remained (whether religiously or civilly) throughout generations as one man and one woman (regardless of their sexual attraction).

Quote:
I don't need laws to force me to treat individuals the same when it comes to same sex marriage.
Good for you. Some, however, do.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:26 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:

And you do so care. YOU want ME to VOTE yes on accepting same sex marriages. Mob rule strikes again. You're all over the place.

You missed the point yet again, I don't need laws to force me to treat individuals the same when it comes to same sex marriage. I'm trying to stop people like you from using force to make others accept it.
We don't care if you accept it or not. You can hate gay people for all I care. Your acceptance isn't needed for it to be legal.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Wrong. Laws relating to marriage do not relate to the definition of marriage, they relate to the qualifications to get married. The qualifications do not change the basic elements, i.e., one man, one woman...just the age of the elements and perhaps citizenship of the basic elements. But the definition of marriage has always remained (whether religiously or civilly) throughout generations as one man and one woman (regardless of their sexual attraction).
It's funny how the change you happen to be against is a change to "basic elements", with all other changes just being minor adjustments to qualifications.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:

No. I am not shoving anything down your throat, and I don't want anyone to vote on the issue at all since it is a constitutional issue.

Still haven't shown how you would be forced to accept anything. You may have to comply with laws, but that does not force your ACCEPTANCE of anything. There are many laws I think are stupid, but I comply or fight to get them changed.

Old 02-10-2015, 05:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times
Quote:
Um, laws relating to marriage absolutely relate to the definition of civil marriage. In fact, civil marriage is ENTIRELY DEFINED by marriage law.

And whether gay couples can participate in civil marriage under our civil, secular laws is decided by our Constitution - in particular our 14th Amendment - not by "definitions" of what it has "always" been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies