Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 12:47 PM

559 posts, read 1,353,231 times

Advertisements

Is Segregation coming to a town near you? I just find it interesting that we have the "melting pot" shoved down our throats yet those that need to "melt" want to segregate them selves. A Jew looking for a Jewish Community, Indians looking to live with Indians (why leave India?). I don't mean to offend anyone, just an observation that makes NO sense to me. This is after all America one big happy melting pot (or is it???)

I hope I don't get put in time out for this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 PM

50 posts, read 215,410 times
People want to live around their own kind, that's normal. I'm Italian American, and while I was born and raised here, I'd find it annoying to live without familiar tastes and smells this area offers, such as fresh mozzarella from my favorite deli, or the specific type of pizza I like that is made in the hometown in Italy that my family is from, or the type of people that I relate too.

It takes time to "melt." Give them time, they'll assimilate.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:54 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
Sacramento CA, Washington DC (Fairfax County) and Columbus, OH are places I've lived over the past 20 years, and they are fairly integrated.

Frankly, I find the country much less segregated than it was 30-40 years ago.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:39 PM

559 posts, read 1,353,231 times
Default Explaination

This post was originally posted int he NJ forum where just about every other post is ............ looking for a ............. community. It kind of threw of my reason for posting when the admin moved it........but since I didn't get a time out, I'm ok.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:41 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times
Hey, I understand. I'm originally from Philly, and the New Jersey, Philly and New York metro areas are more segregated than the rest of the country.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,457,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper324 View Post
Is Segregation coming to a town near you? I just find it interesting that we have the "melting pot" shoved down our throats yet those that need to "melt" want to segregate them selves. A Jew looking for a Jewish Community, Indians looking to live with Indians (why leave India?). I don't mean to offend anyone, just an observation that makes NO sense to me. This is after all America one big happy melting pot (or is it???)
Well, if I moved to India, I think I'd probably look for some sort of expatriate American community. So it doesn't seem unusual to me for them to do something similar.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:48 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,071,394 times
I lived abroad, and while it was not deliberate, I lived in a community without other Americans. In fact, I rarely ran into them in Amsterdam (circa 70s).

And as for the States, I do feel as if communities are more integrated, but nothing like smelling the food or hearing the sound of a familiar language if your roots are from one of several ethnic groups.

My taste-buds are what really get me: no ethnic food and I start to have serious withdrawals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Well, if I moved to India, I think I'd probably look for some sort of expatriate American community. So it doesn't seem unusual to me for them to do something similar.

Old 01-09-2008, 02:53 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,457,852 times
Well - I don't mean "abroad" in general. I'm of European descent, and I think that I'd generally fit in well among western Europeans, as long as I could communicate with them.

I mentioned India because I'd probably stick out in a variety of ways.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,524,267 times
I recall many years ago on a talk show (Oprah, I think). 7 or 8 guests of various races and origins were giving reasons why THEIR hometown was so 'special'. A fellow from Chicago was praising its diversity, its wide choice of cuisine, and the ability to walk down the street through many "wonderfully distinct and separate ethnic neighborhoods, every few blocks"..

Whereupon a middle-aged white Southern gentleman leaned out from his chair, smiled down the line at the Chicago guy, and in a very thick Mississippi drawl said, with a wink, "WE used to have REAL distinct-- and REAL separate--- ethnic neighborhoods down HOME---but the dang Federal Guv'mint got to pokin' around down there, and they didn't LIKE it !"

The whole audience, including the host, burst into laughter. Depends, I would guess, on who's doing the 'separating".....

Old 01-09-2008, 03:39 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,765,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Hey, I understand. I'm originally from Philly, and the New Jersey, Philly and New York metro areas are more segregated than the rest of the country.
To hear all of the liberals talking on CD you would think it was the south...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies