Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I am not sure buying a home is a path to wealth...........we live in a camper and bought equipment.......truly a way to build wealth.

People need to stop looking for it to be easy.
I agree with you half-way. A home is not a path to wealth: i think house price speculation is over after what happened in 2008.

However, I think owning a home is a great store of wealth and a solid investment overall. If you finance a home at 3.8% today in an area expected to increase in price 4-5%. That's a good conservative investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You guys are talking too superficial for me. When did the split occur culturally and or genetically that would account for blacks becoming worse parents than whites....or has this always been the case?

Why on earth are you framing it as a "bad parent" thing?

And honestly, if you want to have some real talk about the issue, here goes:

1) All families were more "in tact" back before the 1960s. Black people and families strove for education because it had been withheld.

2) At some point, the family structure (and I am very generous in what I consider the family structure, as believe it or not I am quite liberal on such matters) began to break down. Education became valued less and less.

For black people ("as a group", which of course is way too broad) vs. the rest of the population, this trend was quicker and is more devastating.

AA Single parent households = 63%
"Hispanic" single parent households = 40%
White "non Hispanic" single parent households = 24%
Asian single parent households = 16%

Children in single-parent families by race | KIDS COUNT Data Center

It is perhaps a "no s***" moment to realize that when analyzing "household wealth," Asians do better than whites, who do better than Hispanics, who do better than blacks.

Two is better than one. Combination of resources. Building a life and home together.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:45 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
For centuries, life has been easier for whites, in everything.
Explain why a centuries ago blacks ruled Africa and whites ruled Europe. WHY didn't the blacks advance as the whites did.

Remenber there were NO whites to "hold them Back"

Old 02-11-2015, 07:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,749,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Oh, so you are one of those people who believe just because you sacrificed and worked hard, you should be entitled to earn more than those who CHOOSE to do the bare minimum and not make any sacrifices.

You conservatives just don't understand "fairness". In the US, shouldn't we guarantee equality in outcome and not equality in opportunity?
I am one of many who suffer race fatigue. Simply tired of some crying in their government issued soup.
Go home to those who want it all for free or because they are a certain race and color and fix your country of origin. But then, if they were a thinking/doing kind of people that would have happened.

I see plenty of white/homeless equal opportunity losers on the side of the road. Which bank is scrambling to give these guys and gals a house? Let me know.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Explain why a centuries ago blacks ruled Africa and whites ruled Europe. WHY didn't the blacks advance as the whites did.

Remenber there were NO whites to "hold them Back"
Blacks (to use your irrelevant terminology) were doing just fine. There was also extensive contact between Africa and Europe centuries before Europeans decided to get frisky and try to take over Africa, the Americas and Asia.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
The lag in income also comes because there are serious disparities in income between blacks and everyone else even in the fields you mention. Discrimination is present even in the professions.

And that "higher qualified Indians and Asians" thing is a big joke.

Show your work to support your proposition. Show the companies that pay their black employees different from their white employees, so that I can get a fat referral bonus to a class action lawsuit.

I don't want to hear about your anecdotes.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Blacks (to use your irrelevant terminology) were doing just fine. There was also extensive contact between Africa and Europe centuries before Europeans decided to get frisky and try to take over Africa, the Americas and Asia.

Are you f-ing kidding me?

You need to get back to history class. "Africa" (northern, at least) invaded and conquered southern Europe before any European EVER decided to make incursions into Africa in the Colonial Age. "Asia" invaded and subjugated parts of eastern Europe hundreds of years before Europeans made it over to conquer the east. And the Turks from the Middle East violently oppressed eastern Europeans for centuries.

For Petessake, Africans were raiding Europes shores for slaves and sex trafficking long after the trans-Atlantic slave trade ended!

Sub-Saharan Africans were also being poached and sold by the Arabs and northern Africans long before Europeans decided to get into the game - late. And remarkably, the Europeans are the ones who shut it down in the end.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:52 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
It could be, and I'll tell you why. I worked with a black guy once. Nice guy, went to CBA, etc. Good family. He told me how he went to look at a new house in a development with his wife, and the real estate agent told him the house had to be paid for in cash. i.e., no mortgage.
This was in 1999, maybe 2000.

I looked at him and said I'd never heard of such a thing and he'd better talk to a lawyer or something if he was really interested in buying that place. It wound up, he didn't. Instead, he bought in a nicer development across the street.

I can't imagine a real estate agent trying this on a white couple. Well, maybe if they were the trailer trash type and looking for a place in a exclusive area. Maybe lottery winners buy still the type that keeps a sofa on the porch.

At any rate, I've never heard of this happening to white people. I don't know that many blacks so I can't say how common it is, but that it happened to one of the few I know makes suspect it happens some.
NO ONE is or has said that their aren't racists in our country.

I wouldn't call EVERY white person racist because our friend met ONE.

Try getting a loan from sharpton or jackson and see how far YOU get.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Show your work to support your proposition. Show the
companies that pay their black employees different from their white employees,
so that I can get a fat referral bonus to a class action lawsuit.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2014/10/09/high-tech-pay-gap-hispanics-asians-african-americans/16606121/

Why do black men earn less? | Economic Policy Institute

Pay gap persists for African-Americans - Jul. 30, 2010

https://robertnielsen21.wordpress.co...-white-people/

Quote:
I don't want to hear about your anecdotes.
I don't give a rat's azz what you want to hear.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
You know his question was rhetorical....right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies