Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:09 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
People who are willing to risk money on investment, are the backbone, in fact, the very foundation of any worthwhile economy. If you have no investment, your economy will grind to a halt and collapse.

Risking money should be rewarded, not punished.
Everything is the backbone of the economy. If the trash man decides to no longer pick up the trash at the company your invested in, it goes out of business. If the delivery man decides to not make deliveries there, you go out of business. etc etc etc.

Nobody is arguing (well maybe perhaps Opin is) for the end of investing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:21 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
People who are willing to risk money on investment, are the backbone, in fact, the very foundation of any worthwhile economy. If you have no investment, your economy will grind to a halt and collapse.

We rewarded risky investments in 2008, if someone wants to risk their money we don't need to provide a taxpayer funded tax shelter at current rates. Do we have a problem with lack of investment money, seem like the 1% can help out if we have a shortage in that regard since they own around 80% of the wealth. Capital gains have been historically much higher but yet investment continued, I think they can survive an increase of a few percent.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That's too simplistic. Many times the entrepreneur doesn't have the financing to make his product a reality.
Okay? Reread my post.

It really is that simple. If I lend you money, and you're an entreprenuer, who's producing? You or me?

Old 02-10-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:

They are rewarded, with profits. No one is being punished. We all pay taxes. It's the cost of living in a civil society, not punishment.

Old 02-10-2015, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Okay? Reread my post.

It really is that simple. If I lend you money, and you're an entreprenuer, who's producing? You or me?
Both.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:43 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Explain how any economy works without private investment.

please.
Sure.

The government sits around in Congress and creates a budget. They decide to "overspend" by $X for FY XXXX. That $X is created through reserve banking. Poof.

Government contracts go private companies. The government issues an order to credit the accounts with the contract amount. Poof!

Private Consumption and investment has no affect on GDP, when we examine the set of formulas:

GDP = Federal Spending (the "deficit") + Non Federal Spending (Private Sector Consumption and Investment) + Net Exports

Public Sector Balance + Private Sector Balance + Foreign Sector Balance = 0

If I invest $10 of my money in your company, that is merely a transfer from my checking account to your checking account. Sounds like you need to brush up on your economics....

Quote:
The financial sector is indeed nonproductive. It is the entreprenuer who produces, not the financiers.
Correct.

Quote:
One is debt someone else has to pay off and the other isn't.
False. The government doesn't "pay off" debt.

Quote:
Everything is the backbone of the economy. If the trash man decides to no longer pick up the trash at the company your invested in, it goes out of business. If the delivery man decides to not make deliveries there, you go out of business. etc etc etc.

Nobody is arguing (well maybe perhaps Opin is) for the end of investing.
I am not arguing for the end of investing. It is sad how my clear points get twisted.

Quote:

Nope. If there was no private sector investment tomorrow, the economy would operate just fine. (Understand how GDP works please).

Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Both.
You're joking, right?

You're organizing a company. Seeking and hiring employees. Filling out paperwork. Negotiating contracts. Ordering equipment. Hiring a marketing firm. Retaining legal counsel. Getting four hours sleep.

I'm sipping rum at Waikiki.

What exactly is it I'm producing again?

Old 02-11-2015, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
False. The government doesn't "pay off" debt.
I didn't say they did. I said someone else has to. The middle class.

Quote:
I am not arguing for the end of investing. It is sad how my clear points get twisted.
No twisting. Its clear what you are arguing and you couldn't be more wrong.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:24 AM

Quote:
You're joking, right?

You're organizing a company. Seeking and hiring employees. Filling out paperwork. Negotiating contracts. Ordering equipment. Hiring a marketing firm. Retaining legal counsel. Getting four hours sleep.

I'm sipping rum at Waikiki.

What exactly is it I'm producing again?
None of the first happens without the second. Your question is one of asking who puts in more physical effort. One does not happen without the other.

Old 02-11-2015, 05:53 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
In 2012, 16% of tax filers claimed capital gain income. The average amount of capital gain income claimed was $ 3,277.

Of these filers 17, 636 had AGI in excess of $500,000.

It has zero chances of passing.
I don't think any reasonable tax reform has a chance of passing, look at the college 529 plans. There is a faction protecting each and every tax credit, any reasonable reform would start with carried interest for hedge fund managers. Maybe 16% of filers qualify for capital gains but the top 1% benefit considerably more. Historically capital gains have been much higher during some fairly good economic periods, this is not that big an impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies