Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 05:48 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times

Advertisements

In addition, I have traveled all over Iowa, you can find towns here with only 25 people deep in the country and I have never felt unwelcome anywhere I have been here.

I would say there is a huge number of Whites who live in small towns here in Iowa who are morbidly obese, have serious health problems, many do not have a college education, work some really crappy manufacturing/farming jobs and many have never even left the Midwest.

Because I have traveled through this country extensively, and have been to many places that most people don't go to like Northwestern Nebraska, I would say White privilege is a myth, there are lots of White people in this country living some really ****ty lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 06:32 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times
I Feel in today's US, people are treated according to their own behavior as opposed to their race, sex, origin, etc. I have coworkers of all races, sex, ethnicity, etc. we all work well together and act like normal, civilized human beings. I don't think of them as the black dude I work with, or the Chinese guy in accounting. They are my respected friends, colleagues, and co workers.

If people act in ways that epitomizes stereotypes, they will be treated accordingly. If some black guy comes in acting like a character from boyz in the hood, or some gay guy is painting his nails acting like the guy on Will and Grace, they won't get that same respect - not bc of their race or sexual preference, but bc of their behavior.

I am of Italian origin, though many generations ago - but still have a stereotypical itslian American look. I act professional, in a civilized, respectful manner. If I decided to dress and act like Pauly D and the jersey shore cast, I'd expect to be treated accordingly.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:34 PM

39,193 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I hope it's okay for me to ask this question, because I don't want to be offensive or anything, but in your encounters with white people, do they generally treat you with respect, or are they typically rude to you and racist. I'm wondering about this because when I interact with the general public, I try to treat everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity, with professionalism and courteousness, but I was wondering if minorities find this shocking or unusual.

Again, I hope I'm not being offensive, I just am genuinely curious about your experiences in the world, i.e. is racism constant and typical, or is it not typical but it's shocking and painful when it happens?
I am German, Irish, Hawaiian, and Japanese.

I do not have problems with white people at all.

I can only speak for myself, according to MY experience, white people perhaps are the least racist. I am ONLY speaking about my own experience.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Clarity what? There's nothing to clarify. That post is in English.

Where did I say that I had a problem with white people in that thread? That's what this thread is about.

You're mad because I DIDN'T say that I have an issue with white people...But if I launched an invective against white people, you'd still be fuming.

So really...what do you want?

You said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Now if you're saying that you could walk in my shoes as a black man, well...i'm not even gonna bother with some bullsh*t like that.
Is it safe to assume that you're saying life is more difficult for you because you're black? Who is it that is making life more difficult for you? Is it black people? Is it Hispanic people? What do I want? I want to prove that you talk $hit and I'd say I've been successful here.

Old 02-11-2015, 04:15 AM

12,952 posts, read 13,663,665 times
Sometime around the eighties I met a man who was introduced to me as the former Grand or Imperial Wizzard of the Klu Klux Klan.( It wasn't David Duke) We were to take part in a panel discusion. We looked at each other, nodded our heads and respectfully said hello to each other.
I also once had a business relationship with an African American man who thought he was better than me based on his up bringing and background. I learned this after he took a position and moved on to another location ( back among his own kind I presume)
In both situations civility was the cloke that held peoples real feeling or intensions in check so I don't care what people think about me as long as they are civil.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 02-11-2015 at 05:22 AM..

Old 02-11-2015, 12:47 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,341,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Sometime around the eighties I met a man who was introduced to me as the former Grand or Imperial Wizzard of the Klu Klux Klan.( It wasn't David Duke) We were to take part in a panel discusion. We looked at each other, nodded our heads and respectfully said hello to each other.
I also once had a business relationship with an African American man who thought he was better than me based on his up bringing and background. I learned this after he took a position and moved on to another location ( back among his own kind I presume)
In both situations civility was the cloke that held peoples real feeling or intensions in check so I don't care what people think about me as long as they are civil.
I might care what the business partner thought because that could affect the bottom line........

Old 02-11-2015, 12:59 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
You said this:

Is it safe to assume that you're saying life is more difficult for you because you're black? Who is it that is making life more difficult for you? Is it black people? Is it Hispanic people? What do I want? I want to prove that you talk $hit and I'd say I've been successful here.
Here's your problem...And I'm not gonna save your bacon here...

You scoured the boards trying to find me saying something disparaging about white people as a whole, and came up lame.

So you grabbed a quote...And here you are asking me (twice) to clarify it for you. This essentially means that you grasped at straws looking for an ACTUAL relevant quote, but couldn't find one. The one you grabbed is irrelevant to the thread, but you want me to expound on it in a way to help you further your point that you were too lame or either too illiterate to make for yourself.

This thread is asking a question of minorities as to their interactions with white people.

I said that mine are good. Now why this makes you so angry is anyone's guess, but it shows you to be pretty pathetic.

So, moving on. Go play somewhere...I'm busy.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:06 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I hope it's okay for me to ask this question, because I don't want to be offensive or anything, but in your encounters with white people, do they generally treat you with respect, or are they typically rude to you and racist. I'm wondering about this because when I interact with the general public, I try to treat everyone, regardless of their race or ethnicity, with professionalism and courteousness, but I was wondering if minorities find this shocking or unusual.

Again, I hope I'm not being offensive, I just am genuinely curious about your experiences in the world, i.e. is racism constant and typical, or is it not typical but it's shocking and painful when it happens?
My encounters with white people are like my encounters with any other humans. More often than not, they are pleasant. Sometimes I am treated rudely, and the rude treatment comes from all kinds of people. Me being from New Jersey, I sometimes wonder if rudeness is more prevalent here than elsewhere, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:15 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Being technically a "minority", this is the
biggest crock of **** I have ever read. I have traveled to places like Eastern
Kentucky and parts of Mississippi where you find Whites who are barely literate.
Yes, and all and all they still have been socialized to believe they're superior to anything darker than Derek Jeter (including Derek Jeter).

Quote:
If you could please explain how these people have an advantage over people who
are considered non-White, I would appreciate it.
They're white.

Old 02-11-2015, 02:57 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yes, and all and all they still have been socialized to believe they're superior to anything darker than Derek Jeter (including Derek Jeter).

They're white.
"All Whites have been socialized to believe they are superior"...and people like this get mad when Whites make statements like Blacks are this.. or Hispanics are this. So, you are saying that a toothless person who lives in a dilapidated trailer in Eastern Kentucky, on welfare is superior to a non-White person simply because of the color of his skin?

Have you ever travelled through the United States or do you stay mostly in New Jersey? Never read anything dumber than this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies