Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Bad law. Children need access to guns to protect themselves too.
False, children need fully automatic guns to protect themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2015, 08:41 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
I'm in favor of keeping firearms out of the hands of small children.

Obviously if you're taking them out hunting or teaching them to shoot, they are under your direct and immediate control. Even then you need to be seriously on top of things.

But to just let them pick up guns off the kitchen table is not a good idea. A couple of my little grandchildren are under 5 and I wouldn't even let them loose with a magic marker, much less a loaded weapon.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Do you think the existing law regarding children's access should be enforced better? Wouldn't enforcing existing law make this new proposed law unnecessary?
Yep, that would be my thought.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,758,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I'm in favor of keeping firearms out of the hands of small children.

Obviously if you're taking them out hunting or teaching them to shoot, they are under your direct and immediate control. Even then you need to be seriously on top of things.

But to just let them pick up guns off the kitchen table is not a good idea. A couple of my little grandchildren are under 5 and I wouldn't even let them loose with a magic marker, much less a loaded weapon.
No one has a problem with a law preventing 5 year olds from playing with a gun, or a law that punishes parents who negligently leaves a gun laying out in the open for a 5 year old to gain access to... The law in question has implications that reach far beyond that, and there's also child endangerment and a slew of other laws a parent or adult can already be charged with on a case by case basis should a prosecutor see fit.

Old 02-11-2015, 09:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
No one has a problem with a law preventing 5 year olds from playing with a gun, or a law that punishes parents who negligently leaves a gun laying out in the open for a 5 year old to gain access to... The law in question has implications that reach far beyond that, and there's also child endangerment and a slew of other laws a parent or adult can already be charged with on a case by case basis should a prosecutor see fit.
So you're saying that it is a Trojan Horse law that will bring down the entire 2nd amendment when it evolves?
The "ol slippery slope?"

Old 02-11-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
So you're saying that it is a Trojan Horse law that will bring down the entire 2nd amendment when it evolves?
The "ol slippery slope?"
What are you talking about?

Old 02-11-2015, 09:30 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
What are you talking about?
Your statement that the law wasn't clear as written and that it has implications far beyond that.

I was specifically addressing that.

No disrespect intended

Old 02-11-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Your statement that the law wasn't clear as written and that it has implications far beyond that.

I was specifically addressing that.

No disrespect intended
No offense taken. Just seemed to me that you were being sarcastic while attempting to put words in my mouth while addressing something I did not say or imply in the quoted text.

I thought that my statement was "clear" as day, and that it "clearly" had nothing to do, implied or otherwise, with whether the law was written clearly, the 2nd amendment, Trojan Horses, or evolution. In the first sentence, I addressed the law with regards to 5 year olds with guns, and in the very next sentence, I stated that the law had implications far beyond that 5 year olds playing with guns and negligent parents. How you took that and ended up talking about Trojan Horses, the constitution, and all the other nonsense is beyond me.

Old 02-11-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
I tend to favor letting common sense and social norms take care of things.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:41 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
When you buy a new gun from a gun shop it is already law that trigger locks and storage warnings are included in the box the gun comes in. Having a sign you bring home is more effective than a sign back at the store that you may never see again, don't you think?
This law that has been proposed would require the dealer to give the buyer a sign with the same wording as the one displayed back at the shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies