Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,050,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
MSNBC just reported that this might have been about a parking dispute. Pretty much the last thing I expected if true.
You'd be surprised at how often people assault each other over "parking disputes" and of course road rage.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:12 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You'd be surprised at how often people assault each other over "parking disputes" and of course road rage.
Sure. It is possible them being muslim was a complete co-incidence.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:14 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
MSNBC just reported that this might have been about a parking dispute. Pretty much the last thing I expected if true.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring it up. It was in the OP's article that the shooter had been in an argument with the victims over a parking space. Funny how everyone, including the OP, made it anything but the truth. Most likely the POS shooter was a hothead.

It is very sad that three young students who seemed to be on a positive path had their lives cut short.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:16 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,276,638 times
Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:18 AM

210 posts, read 319,120 times
I was just in that area this morning. It is a very nice, affluent part of Chapel Hill - usually pretty quiet, too. When it unfolded here last night, it was very sad and shocking. My feeling on why it occurred:

1. Craig Hicks and the victims were fighting over parking spaces in the complex on more than one occasion.
2. Craig Hicks has some serious issues\prejudice against Muslims. He clearly states he is an Atheist.
3. The above two items combined created a situation where he somehow felt empowered and righteous enough to justify killing them. Clearly, he has an issue and a lot of anger towards "your religion". And over parking spaces.

This is from his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/craig.hicks...n=contact-info

I give your religion as much respect as your religion gives me. There’s nothing complicated about it, and I have every right to insult a religion that goes out of its way to insult, to judge, and to condemn me as an inadequate human being - which your religion does with self-righteous gusto. When it comes to insults, your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut, so would I. But given that it doesn’t, and given the enormous harm that your religion has done in this world, I’d say that I have not only a right, but a duty, to insult it, as does every rational, thinking person on this planet. Because the moment that your religion claims any kind of jurisdiction over my experience, you insult me on a level that you can’t even begin to comprehend. Even if your beliefs had substance, the arrogance of that would be insult enough. But the fact that they have no substance, and are merely a transparent raft of delusions and lies, magnifies the insult enormously.

There aren't a lot of details being released locally yet as far as I can tell this morning. I'm perplexed at how he wound up over in Pittsboro though. I can't tell if he was a resident of this complex, in which case he must have fled after the shooting.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:21 AM

52,706 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Based on his likes on Facebook, I'm not sure I'd call the killer a conservative:

https://www.facebook.com/craig.hicks...ikes?pnref=lhc
Ignore him. His schtick is to babble inanely about 'white male conservatives' no matter what the topic is.

When he stubs his toe, who is to blame?

White male conservatives

Old 02-11-2015, 08:24 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelklos View Post
I was just in that area this morning. It is a very nice, affluent part of Chapel Hill - usually pretty quiet, too. When it unfolded here last night, it was very sad and shocking. My feeling on why it occurred:

1. Craig Hicks and the victims were fighting over parking spaces in the complex on more than one occasion.
2. Craig Hicks has some serious issues\prejudice against Muslims. He clearly states he is an Atheist.
3. The above two items combined created a situation where he somehow felt empowered and righteous enough to justify killing them. Clearly, he has an issue and a lot of anger towards "your religion". And over parking spaces.

This is from his FB page: https://www.facebook.com/craig.hicks...n=contact-info

I give your religion as much respect as your religion gives me. There’s nothing complicated about it, and I have every right to insult a religion that goes out of its way to insult, to judge, and to condemn me as an inadequate human being - which your religion does with self-righteous gusto. When it comes to insults, your religion started this, not me. If your religion kept its big mouth shut, so would I. But given that it doesn’t, and given the enormous harm that your religion has done in this world, I’d say that I have not only a right, but a duty, to insult it, as does every rational, thinking person on this planet. Because the moment that your religion claims any kind of jurisdiction over my experience, you insult me on a level that you can’t even begin to comprehend. Even if your beliefs had substance, the arrogance of that would be insult enough. But the fact that they have no substance, and are merely a transparent raft of delusions and lies, magnifies the insult enormously.

There aren't a lot of details being released locally yet as far as I can tell this morning. I'm perplexed at how he wound up over in Pittsboro though. I can't tell if he was a resident of this complex, in which case he must have fled after the shooting.
Those FB comments are not going to help him in court, because they reveal there was more to it than just parking spots.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Like I said, a lone loser with a gun and serious self esteem issues. "When your religion insults me...." Nobody cares about you dude.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 AM

210 posts, read 319,120 times
Finn - I agree. They are reporting that the motive is "parking disputes" but it would seem there is a whole lot more to it. As the story unfolds more, there is more information being released which indicates it may not have been just a parking squabble.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I hope this is not a beginning of a trend.

3 young Muslims slain in Chapel Hill shooting. N.C. man charged

Reports: 3 young Muslims slain in Chapel Hill shooting. N.C. man charged. - The Washington Post
Nothing but random violence. They weren't targeted for their faith. Just ask Obama - he'll tell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies