Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:21 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Nor is their a pot of gold at the end of the Liberal Rainbow.
Sure there is. It is reserved for the Leprechauns (AKA party leaders), however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Yeah. While we are at it why should employers be required to pay people one cent above the minimum wage? Why is there even a minimum wage? If I can get some poor slop out there to mow my lawn for a cheese sandwich then what right has the government to tell two consenting adults what to do in their personal lives. Freedom!
Good points all, even if you were trying to be sarcastic.

No employer is required to pay one penny above the minimum wage, yet less than 4% of the workforce makes the minimum wage or below (tipped workers can be paid less per hour because tips are part of overall compensation). So apparently, 96% of the workforce has employers who voluntarily pay more than the minimum wage.

And I have used a similar argument to your cheese sandwich/lawn mowing appeal to ridicule. There are tons of jobs around my house I would pay someone to do, but for probably less than minimum wage. Like, I would give someone a cheese sandwich in exchange for them cleaning out my cats' litter boxes. Anything beyond the fee of "cheese sandwich" and it's too expensive and I'll just do it myself. OK, since there is not a big labor market of people willing to clean cat sand for cheese sandwiches, I do the job myself.

Take it out to something more legit. I'd give a 10 year old $5 to shovel my driveway, just like when I was 10, I got anywhere from $1 to $20 for a driveway by going door-to-door during a snowstorm saying "shovel your driveway for $5?" Some people would balk even at $5, so I'd say "do it for a buck?" and then I'd actually only get a dollar. Still, the $1 was worth more than the $0 if I just walked away, and only a couple folks were that stingy. But MW law says I cannot make that deal with a 10 year old knocking on my door, even if both of us agree to it. So I shovel my own driveway with my 3 year old $12 shovel, and nobody gets paid anything.

End of the day, what a person gets paid is something they agreed to. That is indeed freedom.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
I support President Obama. From the time of his first inauguration to this day he has fought an uphill battle with a recalcitrant Congress whose sole agenda is to see him out of office. He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. He is threatened with impeachment for enforcing the law and with a lawsuit for not doing so. Still he persists in the face of relentless political perverseness. You have to admire his persistence - his insistence on doing the right thing against constant resistence - and his dedication to duty of his office. Whatever you may think of him - his triumphs and failures - he is, as Senator John McCain said, “a decent person”; and a man who is trying his best to do his best for the best interests of the nation and the people.
What law has he enforced? Even the ones he wrote (AHCA mandates) are not being enforced.

Damned when he does the wrong things and damned when he doesnt do anything. Seems reasonable to me. You felt the same way about Bush.

Persistence is in the eye of the beholder. My momma used to call me stubborn when I insisted on disobeying her mandates to get my own gratification. The folk I know view Obama the same way, we just don't call it "Persistance".

Old 02-12-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
I support President Obama. From the time of his first inauguration to this day he has fought an uphill battle with a recalcitrant Congress whose sole agenda is to see him out of office. He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t. He is threatened with impeachment for enforcing the law and with a lawsuit for not doing so. Still he persists in the face of relentless political perverseness. You have to admire his persistence - his insistence on doing the right thing against constant resistence - and his dedication to duty of his office. Whatever you may think of him - his triumphs and failures - he is, as Senator John McCain said, “a decent person”; and a man who is trying his best to do his best for the best interests of the nation and the people.
What law has he enforced? Even the ones he wrote (AHCA mandates) are not being enforced. Immigration laws? Tax Laws? Local Regulations? Anything?

Damned when he does the wrong things and damned when he doesnt do anything. Seems reasonable to me. You felt the same way about Bush.

Persistence is in the eye of the beholder. My momma used to call me stubborn when I insisted on disobeying her mandates to get my own gratification. The folk I know view Obama the same way, we just don't call it "Persistance".

Old 02-12-2015, 11:52 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
President Obama strikes again, trying to shame Staples for their compensation policy.

85,000 jobs is a lot. Each of the 85,000 is working on the very best terms they could find, at the finest opportunity available to them.

Of course, to Obama, he has a good use in mind for every dollar in existence regardless of who owns it. I'm not sure that's why we hired him, however.

Obama slams Staples, big companies on healthcare: 'Shame on them' - BuzzFeed | Reuters

"trying to shame Staples"

Maybe because Staples is one of the companies that Romney saved.

Just saying.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:56 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I'm really tired of his crap.
Good... I love it when he makes you guys angry.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Yeah. While we are at it why should employers be required to pay people one cent above the minimum wage? Why is there even a minimum wage? If I can get some poor slop out there to mow my lawn for a cheese sandwich then what right has the government to tell two consenting adults what to do in their personal lives. Freedom!
what is stopping you from paying someone a cheese sandwich to mow your lawn? Put it up on craigslist and see who shows up at your front door.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:23 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
Speaker John Boehner’s much touted lawsuit against President Obama (who is not named in the action) over enforcement of the Affordable Care Act is pending dismissal on the motion of the government under Rule 12(b)(1) and (6) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. The motion asserts, inter alia, that Congress does not have standing to sue the Executive Branch; and that the district court lacks subject matter jurisdiction. See United States House of Representatives v. Burwell, et al., United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Case No. 1:14-cv-01967-RMC, Docket Entry No. 20.

A suit filed by Sheriff Joseph M. Arpaio over the president’s executive action regarding illegal immigration policy was recently dismissed for lack of standing to sue. See Arpaio v. Obama, et al., United States District Court for the District of Columbia, Case No. 1:14-cv-01966-BAH, Docket Entry No. 24. Arpaio has filed a notice of appeal of the dismissal to the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, No. 14-5325.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:40 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Good... I love it when he makes you guys angry.
Kind of crazy, since "you guys" are the ones who make most of the food, clothing and shelter that everybody uses, pay most of the income taxes, and make most of the charitable contributions.

Old 02-12-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Kind of crazy, since "you guys" are the ones who make most of the food, clothing and shelter that everybody uses, pay most of the income taxes, and make most of the charitable contributions.
Love it or leave it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies