Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times

Advertisements

Obama has just given a speech that is essentially a proposal for a 2011 US Stay-Behind Force, to train the Iraqi military, while providing stability, security, and protection to the Iraqi people. Too bad for the tens of thousands who have died over the past year or so, it's over three years too late.

Obama was able to quickly put together a SOFA in June of last year for the first 300 advisers, and it applies to the 2,600 who are currently there now, and will apply to the others who will be added later. Of course, that too may be updated and modified.

Here is "The One's" speech, and some choice lines from that speech:

President Obama 02-11-2015:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFsyI_MuEGI

"I want to be very clear about what it does, and does not do."

"Support and training for local forces on the ground…"

"Regional and international support for an inclusive Iraqi government that unites the Iraqi people and strengthens Iraqi forces against ISIL. Humanitarian assistance for the innocent civilians for Iraq…"

"The resolution we’ve submitted today, does not… call for the deployment for US ground combat forces to Iraq or Syria. It is not the authorization of another ground war like Afghanistan or Iraq. The 2,600 American troops in Iraq today largely serve on bases… but they do not have a combat mission. They are focused on training Iraqi and Kurdish forces."

"At the same time, this resolution strikes the necessary balance by giving us the flexibility we need for unforeseen circumstances. For example, if we had actionable intelligence about a gathering of ISIL leaders, and our partners didn’t have the capacity to get them, I would be prepared to order our special forces to take action, because I will not allow these terrorists to have a safe haven."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 08:50 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Funny how it was an "illegal war" according to liberals when Bush was in office. But Obama starting Gulf War III? Crickets from the left.

I am against any more military involvement in the ME. And not because of Obama, nor the equally war-prone Rs in congress. I am against it because no one in the ME is worth one more American life. It's the problem of the people of the ME. They can get off their azzes, and do the fighting and dying this time. ISIS is a pretty tiny force, the numbers I've seen are ~50k. Iraq alone has a population of greater than 30 million. If the people of the ME opposed ISIS and stood up to them, there would be no ISIS. And if they don't stand up to them-it supports my premise-not worth a single American life.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
The tens of thousands who died weren't Americans, so who cares?

We left years after we actually should have left and going back now in any numbers is stupid and foolhardy.

The Iraqi forces don't need training...they need testicles.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The tens of thousands who died weren't Americans, so who cares?

We left years after we actually should have left and going back now in any numbers is stupid and foolhardy.

The Iraqi forces don't need training...they need testicles.
Agreed. Can't rep you again.

What the heck is going on? We've been in agreement on a lot of issues lately...my head hurts

Old 02-12-2015, 09:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Let's hope it is approved quickly and without all the typical nonsense.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn_jarber View Post
let's hope it is approved quickly...
why?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Funny how it was an "illegal war" according to liberals when Bush was in office. But Obama starting Gulf War III? Crickets from the left.

I am against any more military involvement in the ME. And not because of Obama, nor the equally war-prone Rs in congress. I am against it because no one in the ME is worth one more American life. It's the problem of the people of the ME. They can get off their azzes, and do the fighting and dying this time. ISIS is a pretty tiny force, the numbers I've seen are ~50k. Iraq alone has a population of greater than 30 million. If the people of the ME opposed ISIS and stood up to them, there would be no ISIS. And if they don't stand up to them-it supports my premise-not worth a single American life.
I don't necessarily disagree with the points you bring up, but we did destroy Iraq's military, dissolved their government, and left their country vulnerable to this invasion by ISIS.

There are innocent Iraqi citizens involved, and we share some of the blame for what is happening to them, just as we share the blame for Libya's turmoil.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let's hope it is approved quickly and without all the typical nonsense.
Obama has said numerous times that he did not need a new AUMF, he said the old one from Bush was broad enough, and gave him all the authorization he needed. Obama has made it clear as a bell that we do not need a new AUMF 'quickly."

The only reason Obama wants a new one is so he can repeal the old one, and write a new one which contains his own restrictions and limitations, so he can "be very clear about what it does, and does not do."

Old 02-12-2015, 09:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
why?
Because people are sick of watching the political football games over every issue.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Because people are sick of watching the political football games over every issue.
Well they will ensue. Questions are going to be asked, like why the hell Obama wants to tie his hands by stating no ground forces.

If Obama wanted to, he could sign an internal agreement between the US and Iraq, stating that we would not put any ground troops into Iraq, without first negotiating an agreement to do so with the Iraqi government. So why make a public display of it?

Last edited by OICU812; 02-12-2015 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies