Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On what metric do you base your presumption of "better?"

I stated that no one culture is better than the other. I stand by that statement due to the fact that there is no particular metric that can pin point what is best in regards to culture without having some sort of bias. So those cultures you live and work with are indeed different but yours is no better or worse than theirs.

In another comment you brought up your culture being "better" due to not speaking profanity. Many people don't have an issue with profanity so would value those expressions more than your profanity-less conversation. So in that respect, you would have the inferior/worse culture since you don't use profanity.

See..."better" or "worse" is based on one's individual perspective and biases against specific actions and/or behaviors. There is no way to determine with certainty that someone's culture is better than anothers.

You don't have to worry about racist. Anything can harm you or put you at a disadvantage. You have to accept that and work to change it while at the same time work around it and do the best you can.

I am not one to worry about racial things and I am black as well.
You do not see the illogic of your position. Substitute hate for profanity.....There are behaviors which are better than others. Mostly intuitive I would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:21 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
No, you are simply stupid, because appearance (and I have never seen anyone who fits the above description in toto, except maybe in a comedy skit) does not dictate or correlate with behavior.

WTH is toto?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:32 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Everybody is not racist, but RACE is a factor in everything. To ignore its impact, is pure ignorance, only practiced by racists.

To pretend that racism doesn't exist, while practicing it, is pure ignorance. To try to ignore race in its entirely because your race benefits from the status quo, and has historically not had to face discrimination, is pure ignorance.

Today, to be a Conservative, is synonymous with being a racist.

Some here on C-D think race is EVERYTHING and makes them special. Your last sentence outed you.

One race = human.
Two sexes = male & female.

Cats/dogs aren't grouped by race but by breed/species due to color/physical trait. The same should hold true for humans.

Any opposition?

Old 02-17-2015, 05:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
WTH is toto?
In toto = as a whole

Old 02-17-2015, 06:08 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Regardless of probability....the probability is based upon race. You are saying that you believe that Asians are smarter at math than blacks, for no other reason than race. That is racist.
Well, on average, Asians are better at math than Blacks. That's just the simple truth. Earlier you said that the observation wasn't racist, but now it is. Make up your mind.

Quote:
The definition of racism says nothing about statistics....just BELIEFS. Hence, you have beliefs about races that says one group is superior than another.....you just base it on statistics....but it's still a belief.
Yes, we know your sentiment that facts don't matter, only beliefs do. You'll have to get past that. Facts do matter, because beliefs are shaped by facts. Should I believe something that is counter to the truth? You might be okay with delusion, but I'm not.

Quote:
Here is the thing: You have to make assumption in real life that the situation is actually RANDOM. How do you know it is a random group if you do not know the backgrounds of the people involved? The thing about the application of statistics to real life is how do you know the situation is a microcosm of the statistic? YOU DON'T....yet you pass judgment then based upon race alone.
Often times, we do have more information than just race. We have a number of indicators like style of dress, speech patterns and demeanor to aid us in making a judgement. Even then, that judgement might not be our final conclusion, but we still make an assessment anyway. That's the way our minds work. Our day is filled with constant assumptions, which are based on knowledge and experience. And race is not a meaningless variable, however much you may wish it so.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,376,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Maybe the title should be "Does the Truth" make you racist?
Ding ding ding! It's not racist if it's true. Black people really DO love fried chicken and watermelon, jews really DO love money and control all of Hollywood, Italians really DO leave plastic on everything (I know, I am one)

Steeped in every racial stereotype is a modicum of truth. Don't understand why everyone gets so butthurt about it

Old 02-17-2015, 06:15 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I'm not racist...I don't like anybody, and I do it without preference to pigmentation.

Old 02-17-2015, 06:16 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Do you agree with this statement? I am not White, I am Lebanese/Italian ethnically, so I usually check Other when they ask me about my race.

I dislike racism and intolerance but when I take a look at my own actions, I am guilty of excluding people from a certain race based on my own experiences and stereotypes.

Heck, I have lost a job once because I used a "racist" term on the phone and it was total slip of the tongue, so when I hear especially White people say that they are not racist , even when they use racial slurs, trust me, I know what they mean.

I am not by any means trying to justify racism and exclusion as acceptable. I am sure I have had it done to me, even though I always give people the benefit of the doubt and I never buy into the whole race card/victim mentality BS.

So, do you think everybody is racist to a certain degree?
Yes. I hate everybody that belongs to any race.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:07 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Well, on average, Asians are better at math than Blacks. That's just the simple truth. Earlier you said that the observation wasn't racist, but now it is. Make up your mind.
My mind is made up. You just made an observation that Asians are better at math. That observation, in a vacuum, is not racist. The racism comes in the explanation....and I will expand to say also....the application. Its one thing to observe statistics that says that Asians are better at math than blacks, however, when you step into a room of Asian and blacks, without knowing their backgrounds....and picking the Asian kids for math and black kid for basketball...IS RACIST. The reason being is that such is the logical fallacy of composition. What is true for the whole is not necessarily true of its parts and what is true of parts is not necessarily true for the whole. Ergo, it might be true that Asians score better than blacks overall (the whole) but that does not mean it is necessarily true for the parts (the Asians and blacks in a gathering, for example). Hence, any attempt to assume what is true for the whole is true of the parts you encounter, in which you rank based upon race, IS RACIST!!!

Quote:
Yes, we know your sentiment that facts don't matter, only beliefs do. You'll have to get past that. Facts do matter, because beliefs are shaped by facts. Should I believe something that is counter to the truth? You might be okay with delusion, but I'm not.
Statistics are not people. Again, what is true for the whole is not necessarily true of the parts you encounter.

Quote:
Often times, we do have more information than just race. We have a number of indicators like style of dress, speech patterns and demeanor to aid us in making a judgement. Even then, that judgement might not be our final conclusion, but we still make an assessment anyway. That's the way our minds work. Our day is filled with constant assumptions, which are based on knowledge and experience. And race is not a meaningless variable, however much you may wish it so.
I know how the mind works...thank you very much. You are correct that our mind is always making judgment and formulating conclusions based upon the information it has stored from past sensory input. When it uses race to conclude inferiority or superiority, whether it does this via statistical probability or not, its still racism.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 02-18-2015 at 06:30 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 04:23 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,697 times
Quote:
My mind is made up. You just made an observation that Asians are better at math. That observation, in a vacuum, is not racist. The racism comes in the explanation....and I will expand to say also....the application. Its one thing to observe statistics that says that Asians are better at math than blacks, however, when you step into a room of Asian and blacks, without knowing their backgrounds....and picking the Asian kids for math and black kid for basketball...IS RACIST. The reason being is that such is the logical fallacy of composition. What is true for the whole is not necessarily true of its parts and what is true of parts is not necessarily true for the whole. Ergo, it might be true that Asians score better than blacks overall (the whole) but that does not mean it is necessarily true for the parts (the Asians and blacks in a gathering, for example). Hence, any attempt to assume what is true for the whole is true of the parts you encounter, in which you rank based upon race, IS RACIST!!!

Statistics are not people. Again, what is true for the whole is not necessarily true of the parts you encounter.
What you have shown here is that you don't understand statistics and probability all that well. If there is a single Asian and a single Black person, then there's less of a chance that either one will fit the average. Once the numbers increase, the probability also increases that they are more representative of the average. If you have ten Blacks and ten Asians, the odds that Asians will be better at math becomes higher. It's even higher when you have one hundred or a thousand of either group.

So, if you were to ask me which group I thought was better at math, a hundred Blacks or a hundred Asians, and I knew nothing about either group besides their race, I would always pick the Asians. If you told me that the hundred Blacks were all college grads and the Asians were all high school dropouts, then my choice would change.

Quote:
I know how the mind works...thank you very much. You are correct that our mind is always making judgment and formulating conclusions based upon the information it has stored from past sensory input. When it uses race to conclude inferiority or superiority, whether it does this via statistical probability or not, its still racism.
Race is often a valid and reliable predictor. If you find that to be racist, then that's tough. That's the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies