Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 09:56 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
He set up a sting operation and induced a crime. I'm glad he was held accountable, but why aren't police held accountable for doing the same exact thing?
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...le-stings.html

Why do liberals cheer in one case, and gloss over in the other?
Because police have authority to proactively pursue and apprehend criminals. Private citizens do not. That is called rule of law as opposed to vigilantism. This should be obvious. And even when police conduct such operations, they are still accountable to laws that say they can only invoke deadly force under certain conditions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 10:00 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Idiotic, I hope he has a successful appeal. An innocent man is sentenced to 70 years for killing a criminal? So wrong, especially when actual criminals that commit premeditated murder during the commission of a crime get less than 10 years.
In order to invoke justified self defense on your property, certain conditions need to be met. When you set a trap for someone, walk around the house and shoot them, and then finish them off with a head shot, that is not self defense. It is murder, and it is not justified even if someone was entering your garage. To suggest otherwise is barbaric.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:30 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
In order to invoke justified self defense on your property, certain conditions need to be met. When you set a trap for someone, walk around the house and shoot them, and then finish them off with a head shot, that is not self defense. It is murder, and it is not justified even if someone was entering your garage. To suggest otherwise is barbaric.
Yeah, I agree that he went too far. At the same time I understand his frustration with being a crime victim, and a legal system that does nearly nothing about home burglaries. No money to be made throwing burglars in jail, LE emphasis is far more focused on revenue generation. Still, this is Montana. 3-7-77

Old 02-15-2015, 01:53 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Exactly. Where are all the right wingers that were weighing in on this case on this forum when this incident originally happened. They were praising the arsehole, and now........crickets.

the court did the right thing, this was not a case of stand your ground, but bait your home and murder the person coming in. if the burglar would have been shot in the process of B/E into the mans home, then i would not give a damn about the german student at all as he would have just been another criminal getting shot for committing a crime.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:20 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Exactly. Where are all the right wingers that were weighing in on this case on this forum when this incident originally happened. They were praising the arsehole, and now........crickets.
Here is the thread, maybe between you and sea bass....you can find all these praising posts and those right wingers who "wanted to see this teenager killed"

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...xchange-2.html

Oh, and no need to put satire, obviously joking, posts here....from the other thread....

So, I'll wait, it's been 2 days, since my initial request, and I suppose it will be just as long or longer....or just as you said...and now........crickets.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Here is the thread, maybe between you and sea bass....you can find all these praising posts and those right wingers who "wanted to see this teenager killed"

Oh, and no need to put satire, obviously joking, posts here....from the other thread....

So, I'll wait, it's been 2 days, since my initial request, and I suppose it will be just as long or longer....or just as you said...and now........crickets.
That was from this year, link from last year "when it originally happened" - notice the poll results for the question is it alright to shoot a burglar

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ill-thief.html

one of the quotes

"As far as I'm concerned one's life is forfeit, to varying degrees, when one invades the property or person of another."

Old 02-15-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That was from this year, link from last year "when it originally happened" - notice the poll results for the question is it alright to shoot a burglar

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ill-thief.html

one of the quotes

"As far as I'm concerned one's life is forfeit, to varying degrees, when one invades the property or person of another."

LOL......First, I agree, you come into my house....and you are not invited, then you will suffer the consequences...

Now, as to the OP and the original thread....the link YOU provided has ZERO to do with the link in the OP of this thread.

In this OPs link, the gun owner baited and killed the teen....

Do you understand the difference in the 2....

Here, let me help you out:

Middle of the night, someone breaks into my house, suffers consequences...

Homeowner has been robbed numerous times, sets up same scenario to be robbed again, get's robbed, kills intruder...

In the second scenario, the homeowner was completely wrong and guess what...suffering the consequences....

Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
LOL......First, I agree, you come into my house....and you are not invited, then you will suffer the consequences...

Now, as to the OP and the original thread....the link YOU provided has ZERO to do with the link in the OP of this thread.

In this OPs link, the gun owner baited and killed the teen....

Do you understand the difference in the 2....

Here, let me help you out:

Middle of the night, someone breaks into my house, suffers consequences...

Homeowner has been robbed numerous times, sets up same scenario to be robbed again, get's robbed, kills intruder...

In the second scenario, the homeowner was completely wrong and guess what...suffering the consequences....
The question raised was relative to those that supported the homeowner when it originally happened, there were plenty that sided with the shooter and felt he was within his rights.

Quite different to break a window and enter someone's house vs. planting bait in an open garage don't ya think?

A camera would have gone a long way but he chose to kill someone, premeditated over what amounted to petty theft. That is why he is going away for 70 years in a senseless murder.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:16 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Because police have authority to proactively pursue and apprehend criminals. Private citizens do not. That is called rule of law as opposed to vigilantism. This should be obvious. And even when police conduct such operations, they are still accountable to laws that say they can only invoke deadly force under certain conditions.
The police are held accountable? The police? In America? What color is the sky where you live?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The question raised was relative to those that supported the homeowner when it originally happened, there were plenty that sided with the shooter and felt he was within his rights.
Show us, here is the original thread......Show us these supporters, without it being satire? 2 others in this thread have failed...

No it was not, here is the OPs post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
If someone breaks into your house, do they deserve death for it? Even if they're not even armed? There's been several stories in the news about teenagers who broke into old men's homes and were slain unnecessarily after the threat was neutralized and the general consensus was that the men were heroes for protecting their stuff.

Now I'm sure being burgled is traumatic, but is it really a greater evil than killing an intruder? Especially if there was no reason to do so aside from revenge? If so why not treat it the same as murder if apparently it's equally serious and make it a capital crime you can be executed for?
Quote:
Quite different to break a window and enter someone's house vs. planting bait in an open garage don't ya think?
That's the point, this homeowner set the kid up and now the homeowner is suffering the consequences...

Quote:
A camera would have gone a long way but he chose to kill someone, premeditated over what amounted to petty theft. That is why he is going away for 70 years in a senseless murder.

He is getting 70 years because he set "any" intruder up....not because they broke in....

It would be a different outcome, as has been proven many other times, if he would have been killed inside the house and NOT set up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies